Main Menu

SPAM on this site

Started by LARF, 09 January, 2009, 09:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

It's narking me now the amount of SPAM we keep getting on this forum, how's about this for a suggestion:

When a newbie joins the first ten posts have to be assessed by a moderator? This process is explained upon joining and if there are any level headed people out there who don't mind waiting a while until their post appears, or is placed in the thread but will not appear until the moderator checks, I'm sure initially people would not mind if it cuts down on the amount of idiotic mindless crap that's filtering through.

Some people may say that it's infringing rights for another person to check if their post is reasonable, thought police and all that, but I'm sure it's very easy to spot the difference between SPAM and a legitimate post?

What's everyone think?

DavidXBrunt

Considering I've been accused of Spamming it's not as easy as you'd think...

Not keen on the idea of a moderator vetting posts though.

Wake

I'm not sure if that's possible to set up on this board but just moderating the first post on the Yahoo groups I run keeps them pretty much spam free.

Dandontdare

I don't think that's unreasonable - depends what you mean by "a while" though.

Roger Godpleton

Would it be possible to stop people from starting new threads until they've reached x amount of posts? Obviously they should still be allowed to use the "Welcome to the Board" section, and the "Help" section if they have a legitimate request which is approved by a moderator.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

DavidXBrunt

It's people like you lot that allowed Mussolini to get to power.

Peter Wolf

I have attracted Spammers who leave spam comments and apparently they know that i post here on this forum which is for kids because 2000ad is a "Kids comic"[one of their comments :lol: ].Spam comments can be amusing so i dont block anonymous spammers but they are a pain.I dont believe in blocking comments and spammers no matter how idiotic and mindless or weird they are.

I had to delete comments where a spammer put up his address and contact no for his own good.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

LARF

Well we were well and truly spammed last night by Okokart - think I may have some embroidery done... hmmm

Pete Wells

I think there's more popping up as I type this (the second attack this morning!) Hmm, it does seem to be getting a bit out of hand...

Dark Jimbo

Just ban anyone whose first post contains the word 'runescape'.
@jamesfeistdraws

LARF

COMMANDO FORCES

I like spam and beetroot in a sandwhich  :D

Tweak72

wouldnt it be awful if say, a scum sucking spamming website selling phones that had lots of emails via thier contact page from people like, oh I dont know Johnny Alpha or Rogue Trooper telling them about 2000ad being a Sci Fi comic started in 1977 or that is can be bought at a local shop? that would be awful.

:twisted:
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Kev Levell

We've had a spate of spamming recently - I'd just like to extend my thanks to all the moderators and admins who clean it up and keep our board all nice and tidy - THANKS, you're all great!

And to all the unwanted spammers out there, I say, pick some other, more deserving, location to peddle your wares - we don't want them.

TordelBack

QuoteWe've had a spate of spamming recently - I'd just like to extend my thanks to all the moderators and admins who clean it up and keep our board all nice and tidy - THANKS, you're all great!

What he said.  Spam barely has time to appear on the front page before some heroic mod kicks it out.  Well done, unsung webchaps.