Main Menu

Rogue Trooper Short

Started by Steve Green, 10 April, 2018, 09:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

More Behind the scenes

Not sure if there's much more they'll put online before the film is actually out.

https://twitter.com/_RogueTrooper/status/988530109505294338

Steve Green

First screening today at Sci-fi London in Stratford.

Two more screenings tomorrow and thursday in the Shorts 1 block starting at 3:15.

Good pic and sound there, will post when I know when it's going online.

Bolt-01

Hope the screenings went well.

Steve Green

Thanks Bolt,

was OK, not packed but it was starting at 1pm on a weekday, so wasn't really expecting it - and the film had to be delivered in a special format so wasn't even sure if it would work...

The producer is going today and tomorrow, but it's still afternoon weekdays.

Still, nice to see it on a big screen with an audience, and good to see some other shorts as well.

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 02 May, 2018, 10:07:40 AM
Thanks Bolt,

was OK, not packed but it was starting at 1pm on a weekday, so wasn't really expecting it - and the film had to be delivered in a special format so wasn't even sure if it would work...

The producer is going today and tomorrow, but it's still afternoon weekdays.

Still, nice to see it on a big screen with an audience, and good to see some other shorts as well.

I'd have been tempted to book a day off work to attend if I'd known (unless it's one of those deals where you have to buy a £50 festival ticket to see any film).

Steve Green

Mardroid

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 May, 2018, 08:14:51 PM
Full short is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_XbkFWvFxw

Thanks for posting Steve.

A lot more blue language to go with the blue skins than I remember in the comics*, but that was a lot of fun! Nice effects too.

*Not that I'm offended. It was amusing.

Steve Green

Cheers Chris,

was fun to work on someone else's film for a change.

There are things I would have approached differently if it had been my own short, but interesting to see what other people come up with.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I thought it was well impressive. Great fight scenes and special effects plus neat little story showing how GI's can get transferred to their equipment.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

Thanks, think the concept of the chips comes across OK.

TordelBack

The chips are done brilliantly. The whole look of the eyes, skin and Rogue's gear is absolutely spot-on, after a few seconds of adjustment.  And the fight choreography, the acrobatics, the innumerable squibs, the gas-choked Nort: amazing.  This trilogy of sorts is really something to be treasured: Slaine next, please!   

Steve Green

Cheers Tordel,

squibs were all digital apart from a couple of pyro sparks on the drop pod - originally I was just on board to do the eyes and muzzle flashes, but ended up doing a load more to get a consistent look.

Skin needed a bit of retouching, it was showing through after all the rough and tumble, also meant the grade is probably less blue than it might have been.

Did try pushing it all towards blue but without regular skin tones as reference you wouldn't really read it.

I was a bit uuuhhh when I first saw the costume, but got used to it pretty quickly + comic Bagman would have been a bit boxy to do much with.

All the chips were shot without any animations, and I added them pretty late in the day - seemed to work though.

Hardest bit was the explosion - had to remove all the cables from the stunt guys yanking them back, and remove treeline behind the pyro...

There'll probably be a before and after up at some point.

Leigh S

The Brit accents are more jarring than the swearing, but overall good show!  Loved that final shot of the battle. We bemoan Rogue as problematic as a one note character, but we should hold that not all stories are about "character" - the sense of cosmic wonderment that Lovecraft went for delibertely avoided getting bogged down in character, and I think the real shame of Rogue is not his "one noteness" )though I cn think of plenty of cures for that), but that it all too rarely gave a proper sense of the scale and "beauty" of Nu Earth as this vast chemical, alien wilderness

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 May, 2018, 05:34:53 PMSlaine next, please!   
Make this into an actual feature: https://youtu.be/snASCQdZJnA (Anyone got $200 million spare?)

Steve Green

Re: The british accents - I suggested using American for the GIs and something along the lines of Alan Rickman in Die Hard for the Norts - nothing as theatrical as the game.

Not sure why they went that particular route for the voices - hiring a few american V/O artists wouldn't be a big deal. I've got used to it now.

At one point they were talking about getting some better known people to cameo as the chip voices but I don't know if that was ever serious - I thought it might have been a bit distracting TBH.

Given free reign, I'd like to have got more crystal structures in there, maybe some shots with rogue reflected/refracted in there. Also pumped up the chem-fog, and done it practically on the hand to hand fight.

Would have been useful to have a VFX supervisor on set, but I think when they shot I would have just finished Stront, so I really wouldn't have wanted to walk from one slog to another.

For Slaine, I think something along the lines of Sky Chariots would be a good start - something a bit more small scale (relatively) and moody about the early stories compared to the Horned God.