Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 June, 2019, 02:53:49 PM
As usual, it's the OTHER foreigners they have a problem with.

As an Englishman living in Wales I find its a good idea to keep quiet at times ...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mister Pops on 10 June, 2019, 03:22:38 PM
Irish people demonising  foreigners sound incredibly foolish when you take into account the population of this island hasn't yet recovered to mid 19th century levels

On top of that:

Illegal Irish immigrants in the US should have a special amnesty granted for some reason, but let's keep the legal ones out of Ireland.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Apestrife

Quote from: Frank on 10 June, 2019, 08:35:18 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 10 June, 2019, 08:22:32 PM
Twitter.

...because it's a Marxist tool of the Tory establishment

Oh, I had no idea. I always thought BBC offering consisted of shiny nature programs and good dramas.

I think what I dislike most about twitter is how much of it makes it into the news...

Mattofthespurs

When you have been collecting a partwork for 63 issues out of 80 and the newsagent you have been getting them from changes manager and the manager manages (lol) to f*ck up your order and he's doesn't know how he did it or how to correct it.  >:(

Apestrife

Lee Bermejo's time making Batman Damned

https://soundcloud.com/batforceradio/batforceradioep195-lee-bermejo-talks-batman-damned-3

In short. He drew Bruce Wayne naked, and americans aren't having that. Becomes a thing (because everyone had to "laugh it off") and the following happens:
-He's still to this day hearing "funny" jokes about it.
-He get's blamed for the shift in how DC is managed
-People make up stories that the story that they had to redo the whole book (only a couple of pages)

A real shame. And all of this probably because the world we live in... Everyone in America feeling the need to assure everyone that they're "no homo!" by making cheap cock quips.

But outside that. I'm really happy to hear Lee saying that the book turned out essentially as they imagined. Outside smaller changes only a couple of pages got redrawn for issue 2 which he says we'll probably get to see collected someday.

JayzusB.Christ

It was utterly ridiculous alright.  It was an adult comic and it wasn't exactly a brightly-lit close-up.

Actually I find it way odder that Batman is swearing in the same panel.  For me he'll always be Frank Miller's 'Mind your language, kid' Batman.  But not, of course, the Crazy Steve Miller Batman.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

zombemybabynow

i try to remain relaxed BUT i have a new one:

People that just stand at the traffic lights without pushing the button

I'm happy to press it but are they waiting for the natural phasing of the lights or have ocd and dont want to press the button because it may be too dirty?!

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 28 June, 2019, 09:21:22 AM

I'm happy to press it but are they waiting for the natural phasing of the lights or have ocd and dont want to press the button because it may be too dirty?!

Can't say I've ever noticed that, tbh. Maybe they're new to the city and don't know how it works? It's happened to me. I also used to miss buses because I didn't know I had to stick my hand out to stop them.

zombemybabynow

Treading in human sh@t [last thursday] on the pavements of London - hopefully was a one off
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 28 June, 2019, 09:40:02 AM
Treading in human sh@t [last thursday] on the pavements of London - hopefully was a one off

I heard Mr. Hunt was a short man but this is unexpectedly tiny.

MacabreMagpie

Some traffic light buttons don't do anything other than give the pedestrian the illusion of having influence on the lights that actually operate on a timer (https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriewinkless/2017/10/27/does-pushing-the-button-at-a-crossing-actually-do-anything/#748c524e4010), though I have known people who swear this is true of ALL traffic lights and so don't press them for that reason.

I have kind of the opposite complaint though... one thing I get irrationally wound up about is when I'm waiting at one side of the road, having pressed the button and then someone turns up at the other side and presses it again, as if they don't trust me to have done it myself and even though it's lit up to indicate that it's already been pressed. Aaaaagh!!!

sheridan

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 28 June, 2019, 11:09:51 AM

Some traffic light buttons don't do anything other than give the pedestrian the illusion of having influence on the lights that actually operate on a timer (https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriewinkless/2017/10/27/does-pushing-the-button-at-a-crossing-actually-do-anything/#748c524e4010), though I have known people who swear this is true of ALL traffic lights and so don't press them for that reason.

I have kind of the opposite complaint though... one thing I get irrationally wound up about is when I'm waiting at one side of the road and then someone turns up at the other side and presses the button again, as if they think I'm too daft to have done it myself. Aaaaagh!!!

My route to work has a broken button, so we won't be crossing if somebody on the other side doesn't press the button (fine during rush hour when there are plenty of people crossing in both directions, but last Saturday I was going on the same route and we had to wait ten minutes until somebody came along).

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: sheridan on 28 June, 2019, 11:12:27 AM
Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 28 June, 2019, 11:09:51 AM

I have kind of the opposite complaint though... one thing I get irrationally wound up about is when I'm waiting at one side of the road and then someone turns up at the other side and presses the button again, as if they think I'm too daft to have done it myself. Aaaaagh!!!

My route to work has a broken button, so we won't be crossing if somebody on the other side doesn't press the button (fine during rush hour when there are plenty of people crossing in both directions, but last Saturday I was going on the same route and we had to wait ten minutes until somebody came along).

Obviously I'm not going to get annoyed about it in that one very specific example of when someone on the other side pressing it is a requirement, I'm not a monster. ;p