Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Professor of Economics ...

credibility?

Didn't someone once say that Economists were put on this Earth to give Astrologers a good name?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Modern Panther on 01 December, 2018, 06:46:09 PM
QuoteI doubt they check ecclesiastical credentials at the door.

She wasn't just sitting in an audience and asked a question. She was part of a small, selected group, intended to represent the views of the nation, who were in front of the camera, asked to give their views on Brexit...but she's leader of a scam internet church, who appeared to be dressed as a vicar of the Church of England. In doing so, it gave undue credence to her views, in the same way it would if they had introduced her as a doctor, or professor, or knight of the garter.

Ah, I hadn't actually heard about this story  before the prof's post - if she was one of the invited panel then it's either poor background checking or sly positioning, however...

+++INTERNET FIRST +++             +++INTERNET FIRST +++

I don't really know anything about this story, so I'm not really qualified to comment. You may be right.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Violent protests in Paris? Who ever heard of such a thing!

I suppose that's what you get when you only elect a right-winger instead of an actual Nazi. That the casus belli of this jambon fumé unrest is environment-related taxes means we had better get used to much, much, much more of the same. Just great that he appears to have caved already. We're all going to burn-slash-drown.

<Insert some obligatory conspiracy waffle about Putin here>, who knows, it might make me look smart retrospectively.

The Legendary Shark

I dunno, violence against the state is never the answer and always makes me suspicious. I'm sure Putin will be blamed by some, though, because people (especially politicians and pundits) love bogeymen.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

I've no real problem with Putin as an all-purposes bogeyman for our modern age, but in this instance the French have plenty of form of their own, and you only have to look at who that handsome young granny-fiddler defeated to suggest a homegrown gang of fascists to pull any strings that might need an extra tug. 

Like I say, get used to it. 

The Legendary Shark

I fear you're right (see the link in the Truth? thread for an exploration of string-pulling). Makes me sad and tests my faith :(

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

I am all for peaceful solutions and am willing to hear about this nonviolent way of getting heads onto spikes.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Well, that was a fun day of politics. For the first time since June 2016, I was quite happy seeing what was going on in the Commons, mostly because WHACK the government THUMP got rather THWOCK a kicking. Three defeats. The first British government ever called into contempt. I'm too jaded now to think Brexit might not happen, but it's good to see parliament taking back control from an arrogant and abusive executive.

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 December, 2018, 09:34:29 PM
Well, that was a fun day of politics. For the first time since June 2016, I was quite happy seeing what was going on in the Commons, mostly because WHACK the government THUMP got rather THWOCK a kicking. Three defeats. The first British government ever called into contempt. I'm too jaded now to think Brexit might not happen, but it's good to see parliament taking back control from an arrogant and abusive executive.

She looks to be limping towards her own exit.

Scary thought - Just look at the shower that will want to replace her!

IndigoPrime

It's still a toss-up what will happen, in every sense. No-deal isn't – despite reports – dead, but it is now severely wounded. This suggests the battle is now May's deal vs Remain. But the executive would probably have to withdraw Article 50 for the UK to remain (and won't want to), Brexiteers could feasibly break in either direction (May's deal because it is at least Brexit, or People's Vote/Remain because of the perceived betrayal), and god knows what the DUP will do.

Labour wants a general election that all current polling suggests not only that it would lose, but that would probably secure a Tory majority (thereby showcasing them to be tactically more inept even than Theresa May). And polling around the options available continues to be baffling. Apparently, research now shows a third of people backing no-deal think it's a status-quo position and that nothing will therefore change. On head-to-head options, Remain sometimes wins out over other options, but it'd still be a knife-edge vote.

Frankly, this country is fucking stupid. Or at least half of it is. Even now, millions of people are still clamouring to leave the EU, despite knowing it's basically a con job by a handful of multi-millionaires. Good job, everyone.

TordelBack

If one of the polling options was "Forrins! Stop forrins stealing your fish and talking jibber-jabber!" the picture would clearer.

You have to respect the commitment to such a rigorously thought-out position in the face of threats, bullying, cajoling, pleading and facts.

JayzusB.Christ

I see George W welling up during his funeral speech, and I can't help wondering if he ever thinks of the people he bereaved whose family funerals don't get on the telly.
I don't like to see anyone lose a family member, but I also think the current clown in the WH makes us forget what a murderous shitbag the old, non-cuddly non-painting Dubya really was.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Yeah, it's important to remember the devastation of human lives those in the front row of that service have smilingly presided over (with the possible exception of Carter, who always seemed thoroughly decent, but I don't know enough to be sure).

But at the same time, given the choice, I'd rather have my life destroyed by someone who at least pretended to aspire to basic human norms of decency, instead of that orange turd at the end of the row.