Main Menu

EXPLAIN THIS

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 23 June, 2014, 03:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

I have a I pod.

It is a wonderful little thing except... it seems to have lost most of the tracks I had stored on it. How the hell can that happen? I have only ever attached the device to my old PC to recharge it....

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Banners

Presumably it synced with iTunes in the background?

The Doctor Alt 8

Have you been talking to Henry... cause he keeps claiming that I have the power of Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden ( from the Jim Butcher Novels)?

ZenArcade

In the name of the almighty, she can see into my mind. Lilabeth, make haste to good Master Hopkins demense and summon him to purge the spawn of the evil one!
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: Banners on 23 June, 2014, 04:13:54 PM

Yep. Connect the ipod to whatever device contains all your music files, and your tunes magically reappear. If your old PC is the device with all your music files on it, presumably you've moved or deleted some of those files.

Leigh S

If you put the ipod into another laptop without your library, it will almost certainly synch with that laptops library instead and wipe out all of your tracks in an instant - because i-pods are absolutely great in the sense you can have 1000's of tracks on them, so they are deliberately made as shit as possible in all other ways to balance the cosmos...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Leigh S on 23 June, 2014, 04:46:13 PM
because i-pods are absolutely great in the sense you can have 1000's of tracks on them, so they are deliberately made as shit as possible in all other ways to balance the cosmos...

Or you can just turn the synch options off and manage the music manually, which is what I've always done...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

This sitrue, but it's not the only little thing i-tunes does to make the experience annoying in the tiniest pedantic ways.. - I'd like to sort albums by release date rather than title... nope.  I'd like to organise them by Surname, rather than the American first name (so Neil Young is in the Ys rather than the Ns...).  Small niggles, but in this day and age, it's odd that the actual organisational side is so basic ... (now hopefully someone will point me out to a how to guide for all this - last time I goggled I hit a wall!)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Leigh S on 23 June, 2014, 06:10:11 PM
I'd like to sort albums by release date rather than title... nope.

Sort: Album by Artist/Year

QuoteI'd like to organise them by Surname, rather than the American first name (so Neil Young is in the Ys rather than the Ns...).

That is annoying. I think you'd have to do that manually, ie: change the Artist field to Young, Neil.

Assuming you don't have a lot of compilations, you could actually use the Album Artist field for that if changing the Artist field bothers you... so you could leave Artist as Neil Young but add Young, Neil to the Album Artist field and sort by that instead...

Cheers

Jim

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 23 June, 2014, 03:53:43 PM
I have a I pod.

It is a wonderful little thing except... it seems to have lost most of the tracks I had stored on it. How the hell can that happen? I have only ever attached the device to my old PC to recharge it....

Is there an 'Insert Cheese here' port?
DDT did a job on me

Leigh S

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 June, 2014, 06:27:43 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 23 June, 2014, 06:10:11 PM
I'd like to sort albums by release date rather than title... nope.

Sort: Album by Artist/Year

QuoteI'd like to organise them by Surname, rather than the American first name (so Neil Young is in the Ys rather than the Ns...).

That is annoying. I think you'd have to do that manually, ie: change the Artist field to Young, Neil.

Assuming you don't have a lot of compilations, you could actually use the Album Artist field for that if changing the Artist field bothers you... so you could leave Artist as Neil Young but add Young, Neil to the Album Artist field and sort by that instead...

Cheers

Jim

Just seen a youtube go through of putting albums into date order which is both hurrah and... bloody faff if thats what you have to do!   I have to go into each album?  no sorting options from a menu? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YU4Tjue5E

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Leigh S on 23 June, 2014, 08:31:09 PM
Just seen a youtube go through of putting albums into date order which is both hurrah and... bloody faff if thats what you have to do!   I have to go into each album?  no sorting options from a menu? 

Christ, no! You just change the sorting order here:

(Notice that the Rammstein albums are in chronological, not alphabetical order.)

Cheers

Jim

Leigh S

Cheers Jim -that's genius... does that now follow though to the i-pod though - I'm thinking of the coverflow, which is where I tend to flit about for an album to listen to...only one way to find out!

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: sauchie on 23 June, 2014, 04:44:53 PM
Quote from: Banners on 23 June, 2014, 04:13:54 PM

Yep. Connect the ipod to whatever device contains all your music files, and your tunes magically reappear. If your old PC is the device with all your music files on it, presumably you've moved or deleted some of those files.

Ah, big problem.  That is at my mates house in Clacton on Sea. .. He installed it for me ( wellnhe wouldn't trust me to do it... would you.?) I don't have I tunes on my PC so ..