Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 29 June, 2019, 08:18:07 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 June, 2019, 06:25:02 PM
I'm a kind of agnostic pantheist. With delusions of godhood and a vicious case of the Farmer's.

Uh... Farmer's?

Farmer Giles. Rhyming slang, see
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 June, 2019, 09:25:47 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 29 June, 2019, 08:18:07 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 June, 2019, 06:25:02 PM
I'm a kind of agnostic pantheist. With delusions of godhood and a vicious case of the Farmer's.
Uh... Farmer's?
Farmer Giles. Rhyming slang, see

Or: Local God who doesn't know whether to believe in himself or his fellow Gods heard to utter "Ooh, me grapes!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Doctor gave me some suppositories. For all the good they did I might as well have stuck them up my arse...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

"I cannot square your endless circle" is a great line FS, I'm going to have to steal that one.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/07/border-patrols-oversight-sick-migrant-children/593224/

Couldn't get through this in one sitting without crying and wanting to murder a whole bunch of people simultaneously.

Quotea baby who'd been fed from the same unwashed bottle for days

Was just the start.

Frank

PLEASE MARK YOUR BALLOT ONLY TWICE: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48890803

In a matter of weeks, we'll be asked to choose whether the most complex series of logistical, economic and diplomatic challenges we've ever undertaken should be coordinated by this shambles or the shambles who were so much of a shambles they couldn't beat this shambles in 2017 (or the two previous attempts).

Greg M.

I wouldn't worry, Hunt and Johnson's pathological terror of Scottish independence (Hunt in particular) may be giving them a hook to hang an 'abandon Brexit to save the union' plan on.

TordelBack

What was supposedly troubling the national psyche that it was driven to commit (at the very least) yubitsume?  Ah yes, the perceived democratic deficit of the EU. Better to let 160K foxhunting enthusiasts decide your fate. Although I don't think even Thomas Hobson could have pitched this pair of nags.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is it better to reign in hell than serve in heaven? That is the dilemma for Bojo and his cohorts of fuckwits. If the Union has to be sacrificed to get Brexit, then that's the price to pay. He's only interested in what the Square Milers want, and they'll be happy to be shot of any regulation particularly since the EU might start to enforce anti-corruption laws. The Freemarketeers care nothing for any history only for-profit, and they've got the Tories over a Barrel since their haemorrhaging money and supporters. Violence in Northern Ireland along the Border or in some English Towns has zippo meaning to them when there's the juicy prize of even more deregulation and weaker Governments. Divide and conquer. The economy will take a big hit after Brexit, but that's irrelevant when you've got a Yacht and a Mansion in the South of France.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 06 July, 2019, 09:30:24 AM
I wouldn't worry, Hunt and Johnson's pathological terror of Scottish independence (Hunt in particular) may be giving them a hook to hang an 'abandon Brexit to save the union' plan on.

I know as much about the internal life of Jeremy Hunt as I do about Love Island, but politics is just calculation and pragmatism.

63% of the wee toerags:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/politics/news/104672/grassroots-tories-would-sacrifice-union-if-it-meant-brexit-being

Greg M.

Maybe so, but Hunt's currently saying the opposite (with Johnson in broad but less specific agreement.) Probably more likely to get an indyref2 out of Johnson though.

TordelBack

If there's one immutable fact we know about each of those two men, it's that they are habitual and professional liars whose excuses for moral compasses are attached to a windvane of self-interest.  They'll do whatever suits them best on the day, and feck the rest of ye.

Professor Bear

Tories just won't allow a vote on Scottish independence: problem solved.
Northern Ireland?  They sat out the entirety of the Troubles and it was only once the Tories were gone that the GFA happened: no matter what happens in Northern Ireland, it's never been the Tories' problem and they won't change that attitude now.  Killing each other, is it?  WHO CARES?

The only silver lining in all this is that Prime Minister Johnson - the PM we have all worked hard to get and unarguably deserve - is such an egotist that he would go against the wishes of the Rothermeres and the Murdochs if he thought it was in his own interests to do so.
This shambling inbred fuckwit is literally the only possible person I could see stopping Brexit, simply because he thinks he could get away with doing so, and yes, I realise this is the absolute definition of a Hail Mary, but this is all you're getting.
Hunt on the other hand is genuinely dangerous.  He expertly oversaw the dismantling of the NHS and he would burn this whole fucking country without a second thought and then blame it on us for being flammable.

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 06 July, 2019, 12:16:51 PM
They sat out the entirety of the Troubles and it was only once the Tories were gone that the GFA happened: no matter what happens in Northern Ireland, it's never been the Tories' problem and they won't change that attitude now.  Killing each other, is it?  WHO CARES?

I don't know about that.  Considering that the IRA came pretty close to killing Maggie in Brighton, the Tories became quite attentive.  Probably the bigger issue was / is that Tories don't have the first clue how to compromise.  For them the only option is to crush opposition and dissent.  The only safety under Tories is in compliance (and even that is relative).