Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 January, 2018, 11:25:13 AM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 30 January, 2018, 09:14:28 AM
Conversely, I was never a huge fan of Robo Hunter but think the later stories like Slaying of Slade are much better than the early ones.

Me too - I like Verdus, but I think the strip gets better, and punchier, in the Brit-Cit years with the stable supporting cast and Gibson's more refined style. And so help me, I love Gibson's cheesecake and Wagner's broad stereotypes!

I'm reading RH volume 1 as knockabout fun that I'm not taking too seriously. Hoagy makes me laugh every time.

DrRocka

It took me two nights to read this one, after Verdus I was all Sladed out for one evening. I think that this volume in particular highlights the episodic nature of the way the strips were originally presented - it can be a bit of a slog finding catch up panels every four or five pages detailing the previous week's events when you've only just read that episode. Over a twenty part epic, I found this seemed to slow the story down.
That said, I wouldn't change a thing. Don't forget the prog, and the medium's storytelling, was a whole different beast back then in comparison to the way stories are presented now - pretty much a graphic novel split into weekly parts.
FWIW, I love Gibson's art, and it'll be great to see it evolve over the course of the RoboHunter books. And who'd have thought that half my mates would have a stogie in their mouths now every time I see 'em in the pub?!
Never ever bloody anything ever

TordelBack

Quote from: DrRocka on 30 January, 2018, 12:37:20 PMAnd who'd have thought that half my mates would have a stogie in their mouths now every time I see 'em in the pub?!

Of all the strangenesses of this actual 21st Century, this is the one that continually catches me off guard, and more than anything brings home the transience of any cultural phenomenon.  Fags in gobs were everywhere, part of life, driven into the street lately maybe, but still constant and ubiquitous: so much so that Stogie, or the weird bongs of Watchmen, were as good a signifier of SF as jetpacks and aliens.  Then vapes came, and with them the realisation that not so very long ago it was pipes not ciggies, and the reliable, solid textures of your life are in fact just one more brief historical moment.

Arkady

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 January, 2018, 11:04:06 AM
How much input does Rebellion have? I know they influenced the original decision to 'force' free replacements for those who'd bought the test run. But on something like this, I've no idea.

Despite the administrative burden, it would be easy for Hachette to say and do something like this:

Premium subscribers to the 2000 AD Ultimate Collection will in addition to existing gifts also receive [X] hardback books featuring covers from throughout 2000 AD's history. Because this is a new development and was not advertised when the collection was launched, we will – for a limited time – be giving existing standard subscribers the option to upgrade their subscriptions.

The upgrade will take place from issue 15, whereupon your subscription will increase from £19.98 per month to £22.98. It will also require you to authorise a one-off catch-up payment of £21. On making this payment, the Nemesis the Warlock figurine will be sent with your next set of books.

I suspect the chances of the above are slim, but you never know.

This would be the perfect solution! Let's see if they go for it. Otherwise they're just denying themselves income... and losing at least one subscriber!

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 January, 2018, 01:17:47 PM
Quote from: DrRocka on 30 January, 2018, 12:37:20 PMAnd who'd have thought that half my mates would have a stogie in their mouths now every time I see 'em in the pub?!

Of all the strangenesses of this actual 21st Century, this is the one that continually catches me off guard, and more than anything brings home the transience of any cultural phenomenon.  Fags in gobs were everywhere, part of life, driven into the street lately maybe, but still constant and ubiquitous: so much so that Stogie, or the weird bongs of Watchmen, were as good a signifier of SF as jetpacks and aliens.  Then vapes came, and with them the realisation that not so very long ago it was pipes not ciggies, and the reliable, solid textures of your life are in fact just one more brief historical moment.

This post should be turned into a song and recorded by Ralph McTell.

sintec

Quote from: Arkady on 30 January, 2018, 01:25:24 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 January, 2018, 11:04:06 AM
Premium subscribers to the 2000 AD Ultimate Collection will in addition to existing gifts also receive [X] hardback books featuring covers from throughout 2000 AD's history. Because this is a new development and was not advertised when the collection was launched, we will – for a limited time – be giving existing standard subscribers the option to upgrade their subscriptions.

The upgrade will take place from issue 15, whereupon your subscription will increase from £19.98 per month to £22.98. It will also require you to authorise a one-off catch-up payment of £21. On making this payment, the Nemesis the Warlock figurine will be sent with your next set of books.

I suspect the chances of the above are slim, but you never know.

This would be the perfect solution! Let's see if they go for it. Otherwise they're just denying themselves income... and losing at least one subscriber!

Yeah it does seem like the simplest solution and one which will potentially net them some additional income for a bit of additional admin.  They really dropped the ball on not advertising this at launch.

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 January, 2018, 09:11:30 AM
Depends on your point of view. I enjoyed the last two arcs, which wrapped up the original run. They're a bit of their time in many ways (Gibson with his cheesecake depiction of women; Wagner occasionally dropping in depictions of other nations that are troubling), but fun and breezy. Some of the stuff in-between them and Verdus, though, never really clicked for me.

Sounds like Vol 3 will be better than Vol  2 then.  I can live with that.

Dandontdare

Trekked into town to get the Dante v.2 from FP then realised that the 31st is tomorrow not today  >:(

moldovangerbil

Just had the following news about these pesky slip case volumes:

Apologies!  You've received some mis-information on this matter.  The letter detailing the specials will be sent out to all subscribers with issue 13!  If you don't opt out of specials then you will receive the special with issue 15.  It is not a premium offer.

Seems like good news for us regular subbers!

IndigoPrime

Same news here. Ignored the query about switching subs, FWIW.

sintec

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 30 January, 2018, 03:32:51 PM
Just had the following news about these pesky slip case volumes:

Apologies!  You've received some mis-information on this matter.  The letter detailing the specials will be sent out to all subscribers with issue 13!  If you don't opt out of specials then you will receive the special with issue 15.  It is not a premium offer.

Seems like good news for us regular subbers!

That's awesome news.  No idea why anyone would want to opt out of these if they're not costing extra £s but I guess it's nice to have the option.

Mattofthespurs

Fungus

Quote from: DrRocka on 30 January, 2018, 12:37:20 PM
- it can be a bit of a slog finding catch up panels every four or five pages detailing the previous week's events when you've only just read that episode. Over a twenty part epic, I found this seemed to slow the story down.

There's a strong argument for dipping into the older tales, when they're collected. Never designed to be read all at once and it sullies your enjoyment to binge on entire stories. Not the comic's fault (and I accept this wasn't suggested).
Overall, I'm a fan of recap. It does no harm. How often do you pick up the prog and wonder what's going on...?

sintec

marko10174

Does anyone know what strips are coming after Abc warrior and Rogue trooper?