Main Menu

Recommend me some space opera/ space horror RPG PC games

Started by HOO-HAA, 11 February, 2014, 06:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOO-HAA

Well, as the title says, looking for some space opera/ space horror (Alien etc. etc.) style game recommends. Tried Dead Space but the controls on PC are all but impossible to navigate and the jerky graphics gave me vertigo. Totally open to a Final Fantasy style or, better still, old school survival horror such as Galerians or Resi 1 on the PlayStation. Only, on PC...

Any thoughts?

Link Prime

HOO-HAA

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just take look at the Mass Effect trailers in the last game played thread. Seriously. You cannot go wrong.
Lock up your spoons!

The Bissler

Professor Bear

Another vote for the Riddick games.  I played the first one on Xbox back in the day and found it a bit cumbersome, but the updated version that came free with the sequel is good.
Alien: Resurrection had a pretty decent tie-in game for the PS1 that you can play on PC via a PS1 emulator if you don't have a PS1, PS2, or PS3.  It got a mauling by critics at the time for being unwieldy because it was more survival horror than FPS and one of the first FPS console games to use dedicated analogue controls, but unless you're a complete caveman, that's not an issue and the game is actually pretty easy to play - think "eyes" on phones/tablets and you're not far off.  Looks its age, though.

Bobblehead

Not sure if its what your looking for but they made 3 new Alien Breed games a couple of years back,ive only played the first one on the PS3 but it was highly enjoyable. Top down shooter with lots of aliens to blast,but not so many that it gets tiresome,and a distinct lack of ammo so you gotta be careful when you do open fire (I was playing on a hard difficulty so im not sure if that contributed anything to ammo shortage). Could probably pick all 3 up cheap on Steam as a bundle now.

jackstarr

QuoteCould probably pick all 3 up cheap on Steam as a bundle now.
No sales on right at the moment, but you can download free playable demos so you can decide whether or not they're your cup of tea.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=alien+bredd#term=alien%20breed&sort_order=ASC&page=1

I played the demo for Impact myself, and didn't find it as fun as the 1990s original, and the metascore is only average - so if interested try the demo first.

By the way, the original 1990s version is available to download from GOG -
http://www.gog.com/game/alien_breed_tower_assault.

All Alien Breed games are shooters rather than suspense/horror, but with elements of that.  From memory (I haven't played the originals since the original release) they work better as co-op multiplayer - get a mate around, turn the lights down and scream as you bump into each other while missing the Alien creeping up on you both...

Theblazeuk

System Shock 2.

Go no further till you have played this game.

"We are we are we are we are.... RUUUUUUUUN!" They scream as they beat you to death with spanners and hammers, driven by the Many. You count your bullets as you cower from them in a supply closet. And somewhere, you hear the noise of the droids stalking the corridors, and you know nothing you have will even scratch their armour. If you can just make it to the lift...

It's Event Horizon via Aliens and Neuromancer.

Slightly clunky interface and not entirely balanced (some weapons are useless, some abilities never really pay off) but story, gameplay and script more than makes up for it. Download the texture and model packs to bring it kicking, screaming and inhumanly moaning into the present day.

IAMTHESYSTEM

DOOM 3 maybe? Still scary. I poo myself with terror when I play it and it is a classic FPS.

DOOM 3 BFG has extra content but it's notoriously patchy and didn't work on my machine so check out the specs. Read somewhere it works slightly better with NVIDIA cards rather than AMD's but the truth is you never know until you try and load the damn thing.

PREY is another Sci Fi game you might consider. Unusually you play a native American trying to stave off yee oldie Alien invasion. Not bad though the enemies are more limited as I recall. Both pretty Dirt cheap being older games.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Rog69

Another vote for System Shock 2 here, it is the greatest PC game ever made (even if the last portion of the game is a bit of a mess).

jackstarr

I recommended System Shock 2 on a similar thread - it's the predecessor to the Bioshock series, but IMO much better, and fits the OP requirements.  If you can see past the dated visuals (even the texture packs don't do much to bring it up to par) then there's a real gem of a game inside.

It's cheaper to get it on the Humble Store than directly from Steam at the moment - just £6.49 - https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/systemshock2_storefront - but the Humble version gives you access to the Steam version (not sure if there's a non-Steam version also available).

Rog69

There is a non Steam version available at GOG, I think it works out at around the same price too.