Started by Andy B, 04 April, 2018, 03:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Quote from: sheridan on 05 April, 2018, 11:10:04 PM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 05 April, 2018, 12:57:47 PM
Success! Although now I see I used an apostrophe wrong.  :-[
Congratulations!  Also, there was a stray 'e' in the same word :-P

:'(

Agreed on John Charles, he has done the seemingly impossible in colouring Yoewell and making it look great.

Magnetica

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 April, 2018, 07:41:13 AM
I'd like to see him try colouring Willsher too

I'd like to see Willsher back in the Prog full stop. If I am remembering correctly  the last thing he did for Tharg was a Judge Dredd in the Megazine which appeared last Feb, which was a bit of an origins story for NBK. Not sure why he doesn't get used more.

DrRocka

Like everyone else, I'm loving the prog again after a bit of a lengthy blip. Everything in it this week is a must read, even SinDex, which I've hated until recently.

Only gripe is that the art on Anderson makes it difficult to tell what's going on for the second week on the run. But it's David Roach though and he's one of my absolute favourites, so it's easily forgivable. It looks wonderful, but I find it hard to see what's happening in some of the action sequences. It is just 'cos I've forgotten where we're up to in previous stories?

All is great now though. Cheers THARG!
Never ever bloody anything ever

norton canes

Another high-quality prog.

Dredd: OK, more of a Future Shock with added Dredd. But no worse for it.

Jaegir: Another action/exposition mash-up. But no worse for it. Damn, those Nort suits look cool!

SinDex: Back to story mode. But no... OK. Lovely Call and return on the 'Gigantoconurbopolis' gag.

Anderson: Don't know who everyone is or quite what's going on but liking it anyway. David Roach's art is giving it a kind of Misty, teen horror comic vibe. And I've noticed he has a problem with buttocks. Some of the buttocks are all over the place in this installment.

Strontium Dog: Three episodes in and the story hasn't really settled down, but loving it anyway. Sure, maybe CE's art is a little less detailed these days but damn, his style remains impeccable!

Liked the comments on Annihilation in the damage report  :D

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 April, 2018, 07:31:46 AM
Agree that the Dredd was a bit too dark - [spoiler]sentencing a dying for deaths caused be not heeding a product recall was quite Dredd enough without adding the likely deaths of his neglected family[/spoiler].  Great little story though, and perfect choice of artist.

Timely, considering [spoiler] the death of the Russian spy's cat and guinea pig (non-linked as I think that breaks the spoiler tag) http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/06/two-dead-guinea-pigs-distressed-cat-found-home-poisoned-spy-7445253/[/spoiler]

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 06 April, 2018, 01:10:43 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 06 April, 2018, 07:31:46 AM
Agree that the Dredd was a bit too dark - [spoiler]sentencing a dying for deaths caused be not heeding a product recall was quite Dredd enough without adding the likely deaths of his neglected family[/spoiler].  Great little story though, and perfect choice of artist.

Timely, considering [spoiler] the death of the Russian spy's cat and guinea pig (non-linked as I think that breaks the spoiler tag) http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/06/two-dead-guinea-pigs-distressed-cat-found-home-poisoned-spy-7445253/[/spoiler]

Oh well, it made it in to a link automatically anyway.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

After long weeks of wishing everything would.. just... end, the junping-on prog delivered longed-for quality thrills and that has thankfully been continued in the progs since.
Just about every strip is of high quality at the moment, with only Anderson letting it down somewhat by being a bit incomprehensible. I may well give the previous episodes a reread before next week to see if I can make sense of it though, because it all looks very pretty.

Top Thrills for me are SiniDex and Jaegir. SiniDex because I have a deep and powerful love for the world, the characters, the puns and not enough is said about how it's definitely in the top ten percent of all 2000AD series, ever.  Jaegir has ratcheted up a notch this time as well, with Simon Coleby as always giving us 110% and there being something extra in the storytelling this time, that has hooked me more than previous outings.

Strontium Dog is blissful too- Wagner and Ezquerra doing what they do best. Yes, Carlos's art looks different to how it has been at times (and I'm speaking as someone who passionately loved his Wilderlands stuff, where the enthusiasm for- amongst other things- Kai's Powertools shone like a glorious nova) but literally anything The Master wishes to do is absolutely fine by me. And those designs! Is it possible to fetishize artwork? If so, that's what I'm doing.
Dredd was lovely, a clean one-off of the kind we too-seldom get these days. Anyone picking up a prog for the first time in thirty years would recognise it and feel satisfied not too much has changed.

Top proggage. Can't wait for next week.

SBT

Magnetica

I read all 3 episodes of Anderson this morning and it does make sense (I think).

I also finally got round to watching the extended interviews in the Future Shock DVD and Dave Gibbons acknowledged that the comic has changed from back in the day where each week you had a recap, this week's events and another recap all in 5 or 6 pages, to it effectively now just being longer stories chunked up. I think I now accept that re-reading previous episodes is the only way to get the most out of the Prog these days. On my recent re-reads, stories that had seemed impenetrable when read weekly all made perfect sense when read as one. Examples being Scarlet Traces and Outlier. And hey with this Anderson it's only been 3 weeks - ignoring the earlier Karyn story, as given my filing system digging that out would take some time.

Magnetica

You might not believe it, but I wrote my post whilst been unaware of what SBT just posted!

Muon

I'm enjoying everything in the prog at the moment after a while of only really looking forward to Brass Sun and Savage every week.

The mention of the "Astral Union" in Strontium Dog this week cracked me up. It struck me as classic 2000 AD satire in that it acknowledges the ridiculousness of the current times, then takes a step back and leaves the reader to respond in whatever way he wishes. I'm enjoying Carlos's art, too. I can tell he still loves the story and the characters.

Eamonn Clarke

Loving the artwork on Jaegir, particularly the washed out colours for the flashback sequences which reminded me of the way Carlos handled flashback in the Apocalypse War.

Aaron A Aardvark

Another quality prog.

Top thrill Jaegir for me. It's developed from an interesting spin-off into an excellent strip in its own right. Looks terrific, too.

Anderson & SD also excellent. Dredd a bit filler-y but still fun.

I'm even liked Sin/Dex. Which is a bit disturbing.

It can't last.

IndigoPrime

Just a note: probably don't read Damage Report unless you want Jessica Jones season two spoilered in a major way.