Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOO-HAA

Listened to a lot of KING'S X today, actually.

Greg M.

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 28 March, 2012, 07:01:52 PM

I have a lot of time for 'Out of the Silent Planet' and 'Dogman' in particular, I must have played that latter album to death.

klute

Quote from: Greg M. on 28 March, 2012, 07:04:49 PM

I have a lot of time for 'Out of the Silent Planet' and 'Dogman' in particular, I must have played that latter album to death.

Out of the Silent planet always reminded me of Alice in Chains in parts which isn't a bad thing
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Ennio Morricone, via The Spaghetti Western Orchestra

If they ever play near your town, go and see them.

*Edit: When they make a Strontium Dog Movie, these guys should do the soundtrack
You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: pops1983 on 31 March, 2012, 02:11:49 AM
Ennio Morricone, via The Spaghetti Western Orchestra

If they ever play near your town, go and see them.

*Edit: When they make a Strontium Dog Movie, these guys should do the soundtrack

These guys are absolutely brilliant. Missed them last time the came around (Jan I think) as we had a very a very small baby. Really hope to chance them next time. Its one of those things if I want to hear some Morricone I'll listen to 'his' records, but live these fella's look hard to beat.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Greg M. on 28 March, 2012, 07:04:49 PM

Both cracking albums. Dogman's a very grungy and - as Klute says - reminiscent of Alice in Chains.

I've all King'sX's stuff to date. I'm a huge fan. Saw them in Camden Underworld few years back when they were filming their live DVD. Their drummer, Jerry Gaskill, recently suffered a heart attack but he's on the mend. Great, great band that have sadly spent a long and prolific career being largely looked over by mainstream metal fans.   

Greg M.

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 31 March, 2012, 05:07:04 PM
Great, great band that have sadly spent a long and prolific career being largely looked over by mainstream metal fans.   

They're quite a difficult band to pigeonhole (and presumably market): they don't really sound like anyone else (apart from Galactic Cowboys, who are avowedly influenced by them), so it's not a case of "You'll like them if you like [insert random zeitgeist-y band here.] I must admit I overlooked them for a long time, until finally being turned on to them by the writing of my favourite rock journalist, Martin Popoff.

On a quite literally totally different note, I am currently listening to Sigh: 'In Somniphobia'. I love this band - absolutely batshit insane in the way that only a Japanese metal act could be, stereotypical though it is to ascribe their lunacy to their nationality. This particular album seems to hark back a bit to my previous favourite, Imaginary Sonicscape, in its ability to throw in multiple completely random and bizarre shifts of tone or style within the same song. True demented genius.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Greg M. on 31 March, 2012, 05:24:04 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 31 March, 2012, 05:07:04 PM
Great, great band that have sadly spent a long and prolific career being largely looked over by mainstream metal fans.   

They're quite a difficult band to pigeonhole (and presumably market): they don't really sound like anyone else (apart from Galactic Cowboys, who are avowedly influenced by them), so it's not a case of "You'll like them if you like [insert random zeitgeist-y band here.] I must admit I overlooked them for a long time, until finally being turned on to them by the writing of my favourite rock journalist, Martin Popoff.

That's very true. Trouble were/ are another band with a similar sound, mixing such diverse influences as Black Sabbath and The Beatles into their sound, and doing so in a natural, free-flowing non-contrived kind of way.

And yeah, love Galactic Cowboys too. They throw a little Anthrax-style thrash in there too.

QuoteOn a quite literally totally different note, I am currently listening to Sigh: 'In Somniphobia'. I love this band - absolutely batshit insane in the way that only a Japanese metal act could be, stereotypical though it is to ascribe their lunacy to their nationality. This particular album seems to hark back a bit to my previous favourite, Imaginary Sonicscape, in its ability to throw in multiple completely random and bizarre shifts of tone or style within the same song. True demented genius.

They're on my list for sure. Have you tried Japanese three-piece, Gallhammer? You'd probably enjoy them. They're big on the contemporary Doom scene although - for me - they've just as much in common with the likes of Sonic Youth. Well worth a spin.

Greg M.

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 01 April, 2012, 10:07:34 AM
Trouble were/ are another band with a similar sound, mixing such diverse influences as Black Sabbath and The Beatles into their sound, and doing so in a natural, free-flowing non-contrived kind of way. 

Yeah, I love Trouble, one of my favourite acts. Their self-titled 1990 album is just glorious (the song 'The Wolf' would make my all-time top songs list, and I love the Rick Rubin production on the record), though there's a lot to be said for 'Psalm 9' and 'Manic Frustration'. I'm guessing you've heard Supershine, the project where Doug Pinnick teams up with Bruce Franklin and Jeff Olson from Trouble? To my ears, sounds more on the King's X side of things than it does Trouble, but that guitar is unmistakeable.

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 01 April, 2012, 10:07:34 AM
Have you tried Japanese three-piece, Gallhammer? You'd probably enjoy them. They're big on the contemporary Doom scene although - for me - they've just as much in common with the likes of Sonic Youth. Well worth a spin.

Aye, Gallhammer do seem pretty cool. Don't own any of their stuff yet, but I've heard a few of their tracks: definitely worthy of further exploration, cheers. Sticking with the Japanese acts - heard Church of Misery? Big, heavy, slightly-Electric-Wizard-y serial-killer-obsessed stoner doom. Their record 'Master of Brutality' is a classic.

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

GordyM

Lots of Ministry and Public Enemy. Forgotten how good 'Go Cat Go' is.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Mudcrab

Quote from: GordyM on 06 April, 2012, 05:29:11 PM
Lots of Ministry and Public Enemy. Forgotten how good 'Go Cat Go' is.

Is that the new Ministry? New one just out, not heard it yet, last couple seemed to get a bit samey. Always loved them though, since the majestic Psalm 69 and of course the loose 2000ad connection of Flashback being on the soundtrack of Hardware (on top of a video of Gwar in the film).

PE too, incredible band live. Fear of a Black Planet was one of the albums that prevented my musical tastes being confined to metal (too much) and still one of the greatest ever.

I'll also take the oppurtunity to mention that Electric Wizard were fucking ARSOM last weekend! Visuals were superb and very entrancing, consisting of loads looped clips of naked cavorting women from various old horror films  :D The whole thing just seemed to build up gradually, finishing with the apocalyptic Funeralopolis. Fucking marvellous!

Currently listening to my current death metal favourites, Anata.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

SuperSurfer

Got Chemical Brothers on at the mo'. I never bought Push the button when it came out but I picked it up from my local Oxfam for £2 the other week and I really like it.

HOO-HAA

Off to Desertfest tomorrow and cannae wait. Loads of cool underground acts playing, including Undersmile, Zoroaster, Gentleman's Pistol and Samara Blues Experiment.  :D

judda fett

Today Im playin Suicidal Tendencies first lp, in particular this-

http://youtu.be/LoF_a0-7xVQ

Also this discordant live version of Gimme Indie Rock by Sebadoh-

http://youtu.be/Y1Tuah5DTzE

A break from my usual Hip Hop diet.