Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

I saw them last night in London. Amazing gig. It was my sixth time seeing them and it was one of the best gigs I have ever seen. Glad you liked them.
I have the new QOTSA album too, it is indeed magnificent.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Sideshow Bob

Yep, Couldn't agree more...
QOTSA are brilliant !!....
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Noisybast

I'm listening to Mutation again.
It's angry, and -right now - so am I.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

hippynumber1

Quote from: Albion on 19 June, 2013, 10:43:25 PM
I saw them last night in London. Amazing gig. It was my sixth time seeing them and it was one of the best gigs I have ever seen. Glad you liked them.

Which of their albums would you recommend as a starting point?

Albion

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 June, 2013, 09:55:13 AM
Quote from: Albion on 19 June, 2013, 10:43:25 PM

Which of their albums would you recommend as a starting point?

The second Masters Of Reality album, Sunrise on the sufferbus is probably the best to start with and then their debut, The blue garden.

hippynumber1

Ouch! Have you seen the price of that!  :o I'll start with their debut and work around 'Sunrise...'  :lol:

Greg M.

I would probably go with 'Deep In The Hole' - probably their most consistently brilliant record and quite a good intro to the many sides of Chris Goss. 'Sunrise...' is probably my favourite though. Chris Goss has probably got my favourite voice in music - if he's involved in a record in some audible way, I'll tend to get hold of it.

Albion

Crikey! I didn't know Sufferbus was so expensive now. (I looked on Amazon)

I don't know what P&P charges are but you can get Sufferbus here......

http://www.treasurecraftrecords.com/mastersofreality/cd.html

The rereleased Blue Garden is good value as it now comes with the High how the moon live album with it.
I have no idea why they changed the track listing on the Blue Garden, the original flows much better. At least it now has Doraldinas Prophecies on it, one of their finest songs. It was only available on a Def American sampler previously. They played it on Tuesday and Chris Goss explained it is based around a fortune telling machine that was at an amusement park in upstate New York that he visited as a kid.

Greg M is right about Deep in the hole. Another of their best albums.

Frank

New Pixies? I've lived with it a bit now; it's perfectly fine, but its only real virtues are Joey Santiago's stabs of chainsword guitar and Kim Deal's trademark refrain. Bittersweet, since she's left the band again.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 18 July, 2013, 10:50:30 PM

New Pixies? I've lived with it a bit now; it's perfectly fine, but its only real virtues are Joey Santiago's stabs of chainsword guitar and Kim Deal's trademark refrain. Bittersweet, since she's left the band again.

All weird modulations are present and correct; it passes the time I suppose but maybe old testosterone doesn't age like wine.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 18 July, 2013, 10:50:30 PM
Except, y'know, it's not actually Kim. I wasn't expecting much from this so was pleasantly surprised to find it was better than 90% of Trompe le Monde.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

I've avoided this so far (New Pixies) but well it seems quite tempting now... I think?

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 July, 2013, 11:35:30 PM
Except, y'know, it's not actually Kim. I wasn't expecting much from this so was pleasantly surprised to find it was better than 90% of Trompe le Monde.

And I thought replacing her with another bass playing girl called Kim was a bit cheeky. This is going to sound like horse shit, but I thought 'Kim''s vocals on that song sounded oddly male - I assumed Frankie Noir was singing along.

I don't share your dislike of Trompe le Monde, since I discovered it (and the equally reviled Bossa Nova) at the same time as Come On Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa and Doolittle, so they're all just records by people I love to me. Surfer Rosa has a unique nastiness and bite to it, but that's as absent from Doolittle as it is from their cover of Head On. Joey Santiago's guitar playing is like mother's milk to me, so as long as that's present and correct I'm a happy boy.

Hey SOAP; I noticed what you did with that "weird modulations" line

Noisybast

My copy of Hey! Hello!'s debut album arrived this morning. It's already been on heavy rotation since I got the digital copy, but I'm very pleased nonetheless!

https://m.facebook.com/heyhellomusic?id=192744964175391&_rdr
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sauchie on 19 July, 2013, 07:25:18 AM

I don't share your dislike of Trompe le Monde, since I discovered it (and the equally reviled Bossa Nova)

Is Bossanova reviled? Its not as loved as either Come on Pilgram / Surfer Rosa (forever interwined by the CD) or Doolittle, but that's a bit different to be reviled. Its a great record and personally I think it sits fine with their earlier work.