Main Menu

From Next Weeks Prog...

Started by Woolly, 10 August, 2017, 06:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

As Krusty would say: Throwing a pie in the face is only funny if the face has some dignity.

The Adventurer

Quote from: CalHab on 11 August, 2017, 06:18:32 AM
Quote from: Smith on 11 August, 2017, 05:19:20 AM
True,but making fun of a guy whos is already a living meme is kinda pointless.

Making fun of those in power is never pointless.

That's only true if they have a shred of self awareness. As humor can help keep them grounded. A humorless sot like Trump sees that kind of thing as justification of their paranoia. I'm not saying appease the man, but I think because of the man he is, irony serves little purpose.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

So we're saying Trump is so appalling as to be beyond mockery? I wonder what Charlie Chaplin would say about that..

Colin YNWA

There's a giant inflatable Trump Chicken outside the Washington Monument. That's great, so is this.

The humour here isn't to unset Trump its to provide succor for those who oppose him in thought or action. It highlights quite how ridiculous those things he does are for all who see it and reminds people how cool 2000ad is...

... how is any of that a bad thing now?

dweezil2

If we're not taking pot shots at Trump, you can kiss good bye to satirical mags like Private Eye and programs like Have I Got News For You.
World leaders have long been subjects of ridicule and long may it continue, not forgetting that this form of satire is also directed at the people who would vote for these questionable individuals.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 11 August, 2017, 08:49:27 AM
If we're not taking pot shots at Trump, you can kiss good bye to satirical mags like Private Eye and programs like Have I Got News For You.
World leaders have long been subjects of ridicule and long may it continue, not forgetting that this form of satire is also directed at the people who would vote for these questionable individuals.

I'll just leave a few quotes here...

"Speak truth to power"

"Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence"

Smith

Dont you think your giving this cartoon a bit too much credit?
After a year or so of EVERYONE making fun of Trump,this is just...obligatory.

AlexF

Made me chuckle, certainly.

I will say that I remember being utterly baffled that anyone could watch the film 'Starship Troopers' and fail to see it as anything other than a gleefully funny and biting satire of over-militarized / infantilized society - but then discovering that it has huge numbers of fans who just love it as a sincere story about pretty people killing evil bugs.

So I can sort of see Adventurer's point that a similar crowd might genuinely see this pic as a good reason to buy them some Judge Dredd. Which I guess would be a good things, saleswise?

I, Cosh

Quote from: AlexF on 11 August, 2017, 12:29:21 PM
So I can sort of see Adventurer's point that a similar crowd might genuinely see this pic as a good reason to buy them some Judge Dredd. Which I guess would be a good things, saleswise?
This is the thing which has always confused me about the popularity of flag burning in some parts of the world.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 11 August, 2017, 12:29:21 PM
I will say that I remember being utterly baffled that anyone could watch the film 'Starship Troopers' and fail to see it as anything other than a gleefully funny and biting satire of over-militarized / infantilized society - but then discovering that it has huge numbers of fans who just love it as a sincere story about pretty people killing evil bugs.

Such as the author of the book it was based on (this is open to debate)?

Steven Denton

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 August, 2017, 06:50:53 AM
Quote from: CalHab on 11 August, 2017, 06:18:32 AM
Quote from: Smith on 11 August, 2017, 05:19:20 AM
True,but making fun of a guy whos is already a living meme is kinda pointless.

Making fun of those in power is never pointless.

That's only true if they have a shred of self awareness. As humor can help keep them grounded. A humorless sot like Trump sees that kind of thing as justification of their paranoia. I'm not saying appease the man, but I think because of the man he is, irony serves little purpose.

That logic only makes sense if the joke is meant exclusively for Trump and the intention of the gag is to shame some self awareness into him.

Jokes unify opposition as much as that prick the powerful.

Also, nothing wrong with a bit of low hanging fruit.