Main Menu

Prog 2090 - Transit Authority

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 July, 2018, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: DrRocka on 18 July, 2018, 07:40:20 PM
Only Gray Area, usually one of my faves, is the weak link, thanks to a hefty overdose of exposition and some (for me) kinda shoddy art.

I also find the art a little bit messy. I enjoyed this much more when the series started back in the Christmas prog 2012 (end of 2011)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Cover: Nice, reminds me of those 1930's travel posters

Dredd: An enjoyable one-shot, tonally a bit different to the usual craziness

The Order: Rattling along brilliantly. Is it me or does John Burns' art look a tiny bit more rushed than in previous books? Even so, gotta love that crooked finger.

Terror Tale: Bit sketchy. Think it should be expanded into a ten-part series so we get more depth.

Deadworld: Exquisite

Grey Area: Haven't read it yet - didn't start on the prog 'till late last night and got a bit sleepy. It'll be brilliant though.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 19 July, 2018, 07:10:57 AM
I enjoyed this much more when the series started back in the Christmas prog 2012 (end of 2011)

Grey Area started in 2011??? Get the fu*k outta Earth!

broodblik

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 July, 2018, 10:24:56 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 19 July, 2018, 07:10:57 AM
I enjoyed this much more when the series started back in the Christmas prog 2012 (end of 2011)

Grey Area started in 2011??? Get the fu*k outta Earth!

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/2000-ad/2011/BI2012
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 19 July, 2018, 10:01:07 AM
Terror Tale: Bit sketchy. Think it should be expanded into a ten-part series so we get more depth.

That would be cruel and unusual punishment for the Cornwell droid!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Just a great prog, that!

That Kek-W is a fuppin' beast, giving the comic a solid spine of high-concept crazy. He'll need to use the multiple pen-names trick soon, good job he has a head start.  And the art on those two strips!  I know Deadworld is very much a two-hander creatively, and both Kendall's Fear and Death pages show that off to great effect: terrifying and fascinating in equal measure.  Then in The Order we get panels like Daniel's face as he turns towards the stage, his hair simple flat colour, his face exquisitely built out of brushstrokes. Outstanding: this is the real magic of collaborative comics, what happens when writer and artist are inspiring each other, like in the glory days of Mills et al. 

Over on Dredd you could swap out Carter for Cam Kennedy and this would pass unnoticed in Casefiles Vol 9.  That's a huge compliment to McConville, BTW.  As it is, I think Carter's moodily coloured art really works here.  I agree, some of the set dressing is very 21st C (laptops and flatscreen TVs etc), but the vehicles and Dredd himself are stonking.

Abnett returns to Grey Area just to remind us all why he is a colossus of the modern prog, with a hit-to-miss ratio second only to Wagner himself.  Harrison continues to make this his definitive 2000AD work.

And I liked that Terror Tale, simple and familiar, but fun, and lovely to look at. 

Richard

I still think Harrison's best work was on Glimmer Rats.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 20 July, 2018, 09:53:05 PM

It's a lovely thing to be sure, but in Grey Area there's a perfect marriage of Harrison's two main modes, strong  linework characterisations and crazy largescale paintscapes, and for my money the combo tops anything he's done before. Sometimes I do have to look at a page twice to understand how it should read, but when it clicks it's all clear as crystal.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 July, 2018, 10:02:34 PM

It's a lovely thing to be sure, but in Grey Area there's a perfect marriage of Harrison's two main modes, strong  linework characterisations and crazy largescale paintscapes, and for my money the combo tops anything he's done before. Sometimes I do have to look at a page twice to understand how it should read, but when it clicks it's all clear as crystal.

Yeah his storytelling is by far his biggest weakness. I think this has improved over time, I really struggle with Glimmer Rats. I think in part its due to colouring choices. As Tordelback says once you get past that things can be clear.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 July, 2018, 07:35:33 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 20 July, 2018, 10:02:34 PM

Yeah his storytelling is by far his biggest weakness. I think this has improved over time, I really struggle with Glimmer Rats. I think in part its due to colouring choices. As Tordelback says once you get past that things can be clear.

I think that is one of the reasons why the last series of Grey Area I did enjoyed it as when it started due to Harrison art. I find it strange since  his work on The Ten Seconders where really great. As you said it can be due to his use of color schema or even his line-work. 

BPP

Don't think I've ever seen a bad Harrrison 2000ad strip. He dosent get mentioned enough as a top tier artist probably due to his absence from the prog for long patches but really the man has skills to burn. Grey Area really picked up when he came on board as it dialled back the hyper-machismo of Richardson and dialled up the alien. Before, for me, it was 'this is fine, I like abnett's jokes' now it's 'this is great, I love these characters'. 
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Magnetica

It's all subjective, but I preferred Karl Richardson and Patrick Goddard on Grey Area.

For me they are two of the most under rated 2000AD artists.

TordelBack

They all have lovely bottoms.

I never really liked Richardson's hyper-detailed WH40K stylings on GA (or Dredd TBH) despite his awesome alien designs, but by the middle of Outlier his looser art had transformed into something special, and I reckon he'd do a magic job on the strip now.

Goddard is always serious value for money, and he perfectly suited the more mundane Earth-based scenarios of the period of the strip he drew.

But Harrison... he delivers instantly recognisable characters and expressive faces, consistently tech, batshit crazy alien visuals against a lived-in dusty background, and everything is bursting with energy. He's the man for the job right now.

He also had two naked humanoid characters roaming around the strip for months before hardly anyone noticed, always offering kudos for that low.

TordelBack

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 July, 2018, 10:50:51 AM
It's all subjective, but I preferred Karl Richardson and Patrick Goddard on Grey Area.

For me they are two of the most under rated 2000AD artists.

I am with Magnetica on this one