Main Menu

Prog 2090 - Transit Authority

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 July, 2018, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Okay we're going to use spoiler tags properly on this one. We're going to need them...

Love the cover, really striking (I decided not to go with arresting so you should count yourselves lucky)

Dredd - nice little one off. Nothing special but fun if it felt a little bit done before, just turning out a new way for the Meg to grind you down.

The Order - continues to be magnifient - no need for spoilers there as if you don't know that already you are daft! But we're going to need them...

Terror Tales... well again no real need for spoilers here, this looks great and I really enjoyed it but when the twist is clumsily slapped on us, very clumsily, its main saving grace is we'd seen it comin' like the 88 Bus down Eccie Road. For all that as said actually really enjoyed this?!?

Deadworld - again no need for spoilers here as I've said all you need to know in my review for The Order. Great stuff.

Finally the magnificent return of Grey Area... I want to wax lyrical about how happy I am about its return. How much this has a fun opening, how it mixes snappy amusing dialogue with high octane action. I want to do all that but[spoiler] IF YOU KILL OFF RESTING BITCH FACE[/spoiler] I will be [spoiler]MOST BLOODY ANGRY[/spoiler].... don't you dare [spoiler]KILL HER OFF.[/spoiler].. or I'll go all caps lock on [spoiler]YOUR STUPIDLY TALENTED ASSES[/spoiler]... you hear me, you hear me [spoiler]DON'T KILL HER OFF.[/spoiler].. I'm not sure you will [spoiler]BUT DON'T[/spoiler]...

BPP

Cover - fine, remarkably flat looking due to the vehicle design. Meh.

Dredd - unremarkable. A nice twist on sleeping pills but the action was too murky, the conclusion to the action you sorta have to guess at exactly what happens physically and if she was just a walk away why didn't she walk it anyway. The art is okay but lacks clarity signalling the bus and the denouement. Also I hate MC1 cits looking so dull and c20th ordinary, no colour, no simps, no crazy. Making everyone look like they are queuing for a JD Sports winter sale makes for a dull MC1.  Jazz it up lee, you've got the skills.

The order - Skipped till it's concluded. Props to John Burns as always

Terror Tales - nice art, absolutely dross story. Astounded it got commissioned - 6 pages of a scenario a 10 year old would dream up and then a resolution deus ex in the last panel. Actually don't understand how this isn't a tale Tharg hasn't heard and rejected 1000 times already.

Deadworld - all out amazing. The two panels with the appearance and disappearence of fear - the use of the red on his body.. spooky as hell. Just great.

Grey Area - even better than all out amazing. The writing is peerless and the art glorious. And a real gut-punch character wise.

Solid prog with some ace stuff and some meh stuff.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

wedgeski

Grey Area, man. Dan Abnett, man. Please, just more of this.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 17 July, 2018, 01:07:46 AM
Dredd - ....Also I hate MC1 cits looking so dull and c20th ordinary, no colour, no simps, no crazy.

But in the context of this story I really think it worked and this is one of the great things about Dredd and MC 1. If you want it to be colourful and crazy it can be. If you want it to be dull and downbeaten it still works. Depends on the tone of the story and for me this was drop dead perfect.

BPP

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 July, 2018, 12:35:16 PM
Quote from: BPP on 17 July, 2018, 01:07:46 AM
Dredd - ....Also I hate MC1 cits looking so dull and c20th ordinary, no colour, no simps, no crazy.

But in the context of this story I really think it worked and this is one of the great things about Dredd and MC 1. If you want it to be colourful and crazy it can be. If you want it to be dull and downbeaten it still works. Depends on the tone of the story and for me this was drop dead perfect.

The rest of the cits don't stop being what they are just because one is depressed. Classic Dredd writing would have had a simp or Juve rub their face in madness to compound their misery. Here EVERYONE looks like they're depressed racing pigeon fanciers from 1970s Hull.

broodblik

Dredd – not a bad once-off. Lee Carter's art suites the tone of the story

The Order – brilliant stuff. I especially like the hybrid sci-fi almost fantasy like setup of the story with enough little quirks with time.

Terror Tales – when reading the story, I always felt that I was once step ahead of the story almost like I can see into the future what is going to happen. I still enjoyed this

Deadworld – continuing unabated. This story shows you how important is it the get the right artist for the right story. Kendell's art fits like a glove.

Grey Area – see Colin's first comment on this one.

Again the current line of progs have all been solid
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Richard

Quoteif she was just a walk away why didn't she walk it anyway?

Er, she was only a walk away when she got off the bus, not when she got on. That's how buses work.

Speaking of buses, I liked the Terror Tale, it was silly. And I don't think deus ex means what you think it means. It was a perfectly good final panel to me.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Dredd- a nice little one-off that harkended back to the strip as it used to be.

The Order- nope, sorry, dont understand and am not engaged with a single page of this.

Terror Tale- really liked that. Simple, and with a funny twist.

Damned- again, nope. I have no idea what any of this is about. Gave up properly reading a long time ago.

Grey Area- top thrill, always great to have it back. Cliffhanger a punch to the guts. Can't wait for more.

3/5 Zarjaz.

SBT

BPP

Quote from: Richard on 18 July, 2018, 01:23:16 PM
Quoteif she was just a walk away why didn't she walk it anyway?

Er, she was only a walk away when she got off the bus, not when she got on. That's how buses work.

Speaking of buses, I liked the Terror Tale, it was silly. And I don't think deus ex means what you think it means. It was a perfectly good final panel to me.

Snide much?

- you've no idea how far she travelled, maybe I've more faith in the justice department being able to stop a rogue bus sooner. However it's all part of the vagaries of the story - much like the sudden road block / barrier / whatever that does stop her.

- I'm well aware what deus ex means, tah. But next time I want marked like grade school i'll give you a bell.

Proudhuff

Love the cover, really arresting  :-X the flat planes give it focus (in my view) and there is great feeling of speed and impending collision.   

Dredd - nice one off. I feel Lee's art suited the downbeat story and reflected the story's drive also the main characters state of mind.

Last Orders - Still reading it and this one at least made story telling sense... till the chopper appears!

Terror Tales... actually enjoyed this too, nice twist at the end without a heavy foreshadowing that often spoils TTales.
Deadworld - actually getting into this a bit...finally with the promise that this might not be the world that D'eath and the 3 stooges came from so could end differently on this alternative world, with the Judge Child fulfilling the prophecy.
Finally the  return of Grey Area... too much text and all the wrong kind of exposition... but anyway the chopper from The Order turns up here too... so much for time travelling live saving robots!
DDT did a job on me

Richard

Sorry BPP, I wasn't being rude on purpose.

DrRocka

BEST PROG IN AGES for me... been getting downhearted with it again in the last few weeks, but a great Dredd, hilarious Terror Tale, and suddenly The Order and Deadworld are forgiven any sins. Only Gray Area, usually one of my faves, is the weak link, thanks to a hefty overdose of exposition and some (for me) kinda shoddy art. Still, I really enjoyed this week, extra oil for all droids concerned.

Coupled with this fortnights Ultimate Collection (ABC's volume 2), which I really didn't think I'd enjoy but absolutely LOVED, I'm one happy Squaxx tonight. Cheers, Mighty One!
Never ever bloody anything ever

Trout

Lots of quality in this prog! That's a well-written Dredd story, IMO, with the nice layer of irony that future shocked people lead to more future shocked people.

I loved the Terror Tale, too, because it had a nice pace, strong art and a good payoff. I'm a major fan of The Order and Tales of Deadworld and I can't get enough of both stories. I feel lucky to buy a comic with Burns and Kendall art, too!

- Trout