Main Menu

Prog 1489 - Bullet Point

Started by Bad Andy, 22 May, 2006, 04:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

Apparently we have Aimee Nixon on the front cover. I know she's a Wally Squad master of disguise but I didn't recognise Dylan's version of her here. The image is striking enough, but who is that bloke with the gun?

Dredd - So they find the House fo Pain. Not quite sure why its rigged to blow when the proprietor is letting them have it. Don't really know why he is on site either. This is really an action interlude. Bored of Guth. Hope he buys the farm (again).

Lobster Random takes the 'Best thing in the Prog' award once more, if only for the final box on the  second page. I like.

Shock, horror - there's plot development in the VCs and some new bad guys. The polity also have some much needed characterisation, I believe.

Low Life is a fucking mess. Ronson turns out to be the baddie (surprise!) and who is this other geezer? What's going on? Does anybody care? Not me. I find Dirty Frank quite boring, tbh, but prefer his unfunny outings to this shite. The artwork has not been helping a confused story either.

Dante ends. That was quicker than expected. He's now got the fleet. Whoo hoo. Let's see some good storylines again.

When's the next relaunch?

mechanix81

Dante back for three weeks? All that build up and he's back for 3 weeks, and doesn't return till 1500? God, I'm so sick of this shit with Nikolai Dante. He's never bloody in it, and when he is he turns up for two sodding minutes then pisses off again. I'm. So. Angry.
Dawn of the first day. 72 hours remain.

Dudley

he turns up for two sodding minutes then pisses off again

Just like a man, eh?

I, Cosh

So when can we expect him to lead his pirate fleet in a full on assault on the Romanov Empire?
We never really die.

Bolt-01

Got me a day off so I thought I'd take advantage of the early read.

Cover. When it loads you'll see why this is almost a classic. The pic of Aimee is beautiful, but the rest... doesn't quite work for me.

Dredd kicks ass. So glad to see PJ on this, I'd have liked to see him do the VC's as well.

Great ad for Clint Lagleys  exhibition. Wish I was able to go, as that looks like a treat to see.

Lobster Random is getting sillier and darker. Barking.

VC's is jumping the big assed shark for me. I've really wanted to enjoy this, but it is getting sillier all the time now. Sad.

Low-life. I just don't care anymore...

Dante- Maybe I'm on a downer this morning, but I didn't enjoy it at all.

Letters: Dudley is a smartarse. Tharg said so...

Bolt-01http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/1489.jpg">

Dudley

They printed it?  BWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!!!  That one was meant for the looney pile...

paulvonscott

I thoguht PJ's first Dredd had a lot of promise (although if I remember, Dredd was variable from okay to great) and I've really enjoyed seeing his stuff again, it's looking good.  If I said there was sometimes too much uniformity of line in the background detail, would I be talking crap?  Anyway, it's good seeing the artwork developing and look forward to seeing more.

It may have been a short Dante, but a lot happened.  I'd rather see really intense bursts than a run waffling on with a strip like this. I got a bit lost off with all that running through the jungle from animal people ast time.  Oh and Dante tied up that women in a way that would shame even a sex cultist of Gor!

Also, prog 1500, that looks to be the one to watch out for!  It's not often we reach a prog 500 stage as well.

Of course the world will end when we reach prog 2000 so we may as well enjoy this one.

pauljholden

Paul, you wouldn't be talking crap, it's a valuable and valid criticism. Cheers.

- pj

Proudhuff

Cover: Hmmm not too sure, I've never cared too much for Low life Amiee, so I can't see a not reader going wild for this.

JD: The logic of that baddie defies me... but hey, who is he and is he a preist? Must pay attention more...

I wonder if they will show any true love Photo stories at the Carnival exhibition?

Random clipper; good fun the only story with a dinosaur I've bothered with

VCs I wish I cared...

Lowlife, nope no Idea who the guy is and what all the chats about

Nick D yawnsville UK, except maybe his Mum's reaction and the bondage bit...

over all a very disappointing issue, maybe its just me its all a bit rag, tag and bobtail and very very lightweight, either that or having a life away from the comic has pushed to the back of the stack

huffette

DDT did a job on me

longmanshort

+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

DavidXBrunt

Steve Green

I wonder if it would be a worthwhile experiment having a few more, for want of a better word, 'mental' covers, like the ones from the early days.

Where's the airliners being attacked by the Capitol building in the Bermuda Triangle?

Or Skeletal Nazis attacking John Probe underwater?

Maybe it would be a bit too retro and pulp, but I'd rather have that than the 'meh' stock covers of people pointing guns at each other/the reader.

- Steve

Al_Ewing

Covers with speech bubbles on them are eight times as thrill-powered as covers without. This is a scientific fact. If the speech-bubble says "IT CAN'T BE -- AND YET -- IT IS!!!" then it's as much as twelve times.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Funt Solo

Al speaketh true:

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/106.jpg" />
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

I really enjoyed this week's prog, in stark contrast with last weeks, even though it contains all the same stories.

Cover
Looks good, but it's a stock pose and I'd like to take this opportunity to be utterly original and suggest that some speech might help characterise the manequins.  I haven't managed to think of anything witty they could say yet.  How about "IT CAN'T BE -- AND YET -- IT IS!!!" No?

Judge Dredd
Excellent art of the H-wagons coming in low out of the rising sun:  duh duh DUH DUH, duh duh DUH DUH - "Yeah, I use Wagner -- scares the hell out of the Slopes! My boys love it!"

Cool idea to have this group of sov ships left over from the Apocalypse War.  THEN - ultimate cheese from CJ Hershey - "Yo, Joe, do it for the team!"  LATER - Dredd's arm inexplicably retracts into his shoulder-pad - "Drokk!  Arm - inexplicably retracting!"

Still - duh duh DUH DUH, duh duh DUH DUH...

Langosta Escogido Al Azar
Pick of the bunch, this.  Excellent arm-snippage, double-take double-back at the start AND a cliffhanger - what is he smirking about?

The VCs
So - the Polity - an uber-powerful race of aliens that can't hit anyone, but they can pay someone else to do it.  Are they some mutated, far future descendant of Tony Blair, because that's taking political bullshit to a whole new level.

Compare:  the human fleet of 6 spaceships with the human fleet going to take out the Geek homeworld from the original series.

Low Life
Love the fight scene with the high kicks and the extreme close-up of the boot o' doom.  I like this episode - all of a sudden Aimee has both a love interest and a nemesis - whereas before they were just wandering around a convention of the NRA.

Nikolai Dante
This week he literally jumps over a shark.  It was all worth it, though, for the way he tied up the redhead.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++