Main Menu

Prog 1728: In the Lap of the Gods

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 02 April, 2011, 12:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Cover: A Red Seas one

Dredd: A funny one, love it.

Flesh: Like it!!!

Ampney Crucis Investigates: Plodding along!!!

The Red Seas: Continues on from the last story.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

Oh & there's a Letters page which Buttonman will like!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Trout

Hello. Ampney Crucis isn't in the prog. It's the excellent and very strange Dandridge.

The Dredd story, "What the Hitler saw", is very funny. It's by Al Ewing. I'm also very pleased to see The Red Seas return, especially with a double-sized episode.

Overall, this is a damned good prog.

- Trout

mygrimmbrother

Dredd - looks like a classic tragi-comic tale in the making from Ewing and Gallagher. Nice to see Leigh getting another bash at Dredd too.

Flesh - still adore the art but plot wise I'm losing interest a little - is it just me or was the whole bit with [spoiler]Shareen & Nailbomb entirely inconsequential and just an excuse for a lame gag about the ultimate piercing?[/spoiler] Still, I guess thats Pat Mills for you.

Dandridge - pootling along well enough. Never going to be in my list of top thrills but I don't object to it. I think I'm in the minority though when I say I preferred Warren Pleece on art duties.

Red Seas - after the fairly ong break it always takes me a while to get back into this, to get to the point where I'm emotionally invested in the storyline and the characters, but I remind myslef that I did enjoy the last run a lot, so I'll show a bit of patience I think.

Best bit of the prog for me though was the mindblowing revelation that in 4 weeks' time we're going to be treated to a CABALLISTICS spin-off called ABSALOM, by Gordon Rennie and the unsung national treasure that is Tiernen Trevallion. This better not be an April Fool from Tharg.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 02 April, 2011, 01:01:54 PM

Best bit of the prog for me though was the mindblowing revelation that in 4 weeks' time we're going to be treated to a CABALLISTICS spin-off called ABSALOM, by Gordon Rennie and the unsung national treasure that is Tiernen Trevallion. This better not be an April Fool from Tharg.

Failed to spot that, too busy blagging the Prog Thread!!!

Thanks you Tharg/GRennie Droid for the CABS Spinoff!!!!
Texts from Last Night

Buttonman

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 02 April, 2011, 12:54:15 PM

Oooh oh! Stuck in a Progless Brighton - is this a 'Buttonman will like' as he likes letters or 'Buttonman WILL like' as in one of his missives has passed muster? The one birthday present I really wanted could have been delivered. Or Not.

Did get a Kindle, a gold watch, my subs renewed, a 3 book Gahan Wilson set and £250 but letters they are priceless!

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Buttonman on 02 April, 2011, 01:18:49 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 02 April, 2011, 12:54:15 PM

Oooh oh! Stuck in a Progless Brighton - is this a 'Buttonman will like' as he likes letters or 'Buttonman WILL like' as in one of his missives has passed muster? The one birthday present I really wanted could have been delivered. Or Not.

Did get a Kindle, a gold watch, my subs renewed, a 3 book Gahan Wilson set and £250 but letters they are priceless!

No letters from you BM just a Letters Page!!!
Texts from Last Night

Darren Stephens

I've only browsed this one so far, but.....great to see Mr Gallagher on Dredd. I like it.  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Buttonman

Batman's Superior Cousin

And Buttonman's response to my reply has further livened my day!!!!
Texts from Last Night

Keef Monkey

No prog for me :( Bright side is I'm off on Monday so if it appears then it'll be a nice start to the week :)

JUDGE BURNS

:(   no prog for me either up here in sunny Ayrshire.
Thats 2 weeks running no prog on a saturday.   

Mikey

A Red Seas cover never fills me with excitement...but it's Yeowel, so I'll let it pass.

Dredd - Great! Like a lot of Al's Dredd stuff, this feels very 'classic' without being derivative or overly nostalgic. Excellent opener that has me engaged with Hitler, plus a bit of a twist! Good work from the Gallagher droid as always, complimented by a great colour job by de la Cruz.

Flesh  - Brilliant! I'm fully into this now - 'tyrannosaurs and bum' is indeed the stuff that Thrills are made of  :) And mygrimmbrother, [spoiler]I think that incident was to show yer woman is up to something and has some sort of control/link to Cretaceous beasties.[/spoiler]

Dandridge - Another top thrill. This is Good. Like the Pleece whisky...

Red Seas - As I've said , Red Seas doesn't usually do much for me, but I must add that I really enjoyed this episode and am looking forward to the rest of the run now, so job done by the creators. I found [spoiler]the explanation for Jack's immortality nicley executed in the context of the story, even though I don't remember the big apple thing.[/spoiler] And the Norse Gods make me laugh - the mythology of a family of Gods reduced down to squabbling and petty comments!

A fine prog all round, Tharg.

(and welcome back to the Trout!)

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

House of Usher

Good Prog. Bit off a kick your shoes off and relax Prog, I think - not many explosions, etc. Lots of exposition.

7/10.

Al Ewing's Judge Dredd was splendiferous. Wonderful title, with impeccable grammar. Superb dialogue. "He didn't look like a bad person - " my personal highlight! Leigh Gallagher's art was none too shabby either. I had to check to see who drew it. I'm easily fooled; because it wasn't set in the C17th, I had no inkling.

Flesh (Texas) is not for me. I'll just admire the pretty dinosaurs. Drugging your employees so they can laugh in the face of danger is grossly inefficient and could compromise your whole operation (etc.)

Dandridge is able to hold its own in this line-up. It has a nice line in para-scientific jargon and absurd imagery.

The Red Seas is pretty much what readers have come to expect: sympathetic characters battling fantastical enemies, with huge helpings of wonderment and whimsy and a bit of kitsch thrown in for good measure. The Gods' dialogue was as clunky as it was entertaining. You don't refer to your wife or partner as 'her indoors' a) when she is right beside you, b) she isn't indoors because she is right beside you, or c) you are indoors right beside her. I also winced at the line "Good job y'only muck about wi' a mallet." It was about as subtle as saying "Hello, Adolf Hitler, who started World War II by invading Poland; would you like some tea?" While I'm at it, p.7 - 'phenomena' - that should be phenomenon (singular), shouldn't it?

Still and all, good Prog, and hopefully there's better to come next week and the week after. Judge Dredd is outstanding this Prog. Definitely my Top Thrill of the moment.
STRIKE !!!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: House of Usher on 03 April, 2011, 11:47:38 AM
I also winced at the line "Good job y'only muck about wi' a mallet." It was about as subtle as saying "Hello, Adolf Hitler, who started World War II by invading Poland; would you like some tea?"

[churlish pedant] Edginton seems to be taking his research from the Marvel comics versions of the mythology, so the line about 'y'brother Loki' rings pretty hollow, too; Loki was never Thor's brother until Stan Lee decided otherwise. He was the blood-brother of Odin (and Hoenir, if you're inclined to the early sources) but the son of two giants, making himself technically a giant and only an honourary god. He and Thor were never more than drinking buddies, and if he had a nemesis in the pantheon it was Heimdall. [/churlish pedant]
@jamesfeistdraws