Main Menu

Prog 1900 - The Perfect Storm

Started by Bat King, 17 September, 2014, 01:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

PS. My subs copy arrived before 13:00 which is early for Mr Postie round here...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

IronGraham

Only Read Dredd so far that's a nice beginning, anyone know how long this Epic is for?
We're werewolves not swearwolves

JamesC

What a prog!

I'm sure you've all seen the cover but it really is stunning and I like the updated logo and info box.

Dredd is fantastic. This feels very much like the Pit with Dredd brought in to sort out the mess. I could read these Dredd procedurals all day. Lovely art by Mr E as usual (regarding the panel boarders, I'm pretty sure we've seen this before on Strontium Dog but maybe not on full pages).

Stickleback was pretty good too. I'm not the biggest fan of this strip and I find the art hard to follow but this was an enjoyable enough episode.

Kingdom. Wow. I just love this strip. When I read it I feel like I'm twelve years old again. It has so much energy and charm that it's a shame it doesn't have a higher profile. A good contender for 2000ADs US comics line I should think.

There's a nice retrospective on anniversary issues too and the whole thing is presented in the now traditional (for anniversary issues) improved paper stock. If there's a better way to spend £2.45 I sure as hell don't know what it is.

Richmond Clements

QuoteKingdom. Wow. I just love this strip. When I read it I feel like I'm twelve years old again. It has so much energy and charm that it's a shame it doesn't have a higher profile. A good contender for 2000ADs US comics line I should think.

This.

IronGraham

[spoiler]What happen to the little girl that was travelling with Gene?[/spoiler] Sorry I had stopped reading at the time fool that i was.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Batman's Superior Cousin

[spoiler]She got taken by the spaceman in the following story[/spoiler]
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Proudhuff

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 20 September, 2014, 03:11:35 PM
[spoiler]She got taken by the spaceman in the following story[/spoiler]

Doh! had totally forgotten about that 'My Dog' story line. It's all come flooding back
DDT did a job on me

Darren Stephens

What a Prog. Three first class strips, and a superb Staples droid cover.  What more could you ask for?
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

radiator

Wow, this looks like the strongest prog in a long time. Wagner and Ezquerra back on Dredd! Looking forward to Wednesday!

TordelBack

Staggeringly good cover there, but a reluctant 'no' vote from me on the masthead and info block (the latter of which spoils the composition by obscuring the eagle's beak).  Frightened of change, me, but desperate to get my hands on this all the same.

ZenArcade

Agreed re the masthead, put it on a horizontal plane either at the top or bottom and make the prog no and price readable. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Well that was fun. I suspect not quite as fun as next week but very much good fun, but I miss strips when we're down to three. One I can pass for a double hitter, but down to three don't quite feel like the Prog. Which is a silly whine I wanted to get out the way before I got to the good stuff.

Dredd was a wonderful start to a story that might, depending of course on how things develop firm up my idea that John Wagner is revisiting stories from his past, in basic premise. If this continues The Pit vibe, a nice tight cast of supporting characters developing in a nice tight focused setting to really get the strip to it heart then I could well be a happy bunny. No idea how long this will be, or whether it will continue in the vain it has started but it will keep me very interested finding out.

Stickleback always has something to entertain but never pulls me in the way it does many others it would seem and this episode was a perfect summation of that. Love moments not entirely engaged. Oh and it always looks great.

Kingdom damn this series is so definitively 2000ad and this part so definitive of this series. I'm left with questions and intrigue wondering how some of the dots will be connect, hankering after so many answer but quite happy to ride the journey to get to them. That last page was just smashin' Fair had me punchin' the air in excitement... at least metaphorically. This was actually better than the Dredd.

However much fun this was I can't wait for Da 'Bod and Greysuits to round the line-up off next Prog, but this was a nice tight launch Prog and hopefully captured any newbies droppin' by.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JamesC on 20 September, 2014, 02:38:25 PM
A good contender for 2000ADs US comics line I should think.

Oh and might to rally behind this sentiment. I'm quite sure smarter heads than me have thought of this already and agreed or not BUT this strip would be a real draw... oh go on?

ZenArcade

I literally an beside myself to see this prog, wed cannot come soon enough. As ever thanks to eamonn for the cover post. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead