Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Quote from: The Monarch on 18 December, 2018, 04:11:51 PM
I assume dantes the rest of tsar wars? curious whats in ace trucking or whats not in it
Dante includes The Romanov Job as well as tsar wars. ->prog 1287

IndigoPrime

Quoteup to and including 'the croakside trip'. Matt says in is intro he took the 'executive decision' to stop there.
He's right to, frankly. What followed was terrible. That said, it's a bit of a pity we don't get a full-colour reproduction of that final annual story, because the art was gorgeous.

The Monarch

Jade Falcon

Well apparently my complaint about the quality of the last Dress volume is being escalated, whatever that means in reality.

Is this croakside trip an Ace Trucking story? Frankly Ace feels to me very much a product of the time with the whole CB/trucker movie craze. It's still worth reading but hasn't dated particularly well.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

moogie101

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 19 December, 2018, 10:21:34 AM
Well apparently my complaint about the quality of the last Dress volume is being escalated, whatever that means in reality.

Is this croakside trip an Ace Trucking story? Frankly Ace feels to me very much a product of the time with the whole CB/trucker movie craze. It's still worth reading but hasn't dated particularly well.

I've enjoyed it a lot more than robo hunter, it's just a silly fun series and certainty fits in alongside Zombo.

Although I think the rest of the series is so much stronger it just appears weak by comparison.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 19 December, 2018, 10:21:34 AMFrankly Ace feels to me very much a product of the time with the whole CB/trucker movie craze. It's still worth reading but hasn't dated particularly well.

The UC has been my first time reading Ace Trucking, and I haven't found it dated at all. I wasn't alive in the 70s and can't say I've seen any CB radio/trucking films from that time, so I'm just taking it for what it is - knockabout space fun.
@jamesfeistdraws

cropsy13

I was annoyed when I finished Kingdom vol 2, Bloody cliffhanger.

I really enjoyed Robo Hunter vol 2, Just got Stront/Bad Company this week and just finished the slaver chapter in stront....liking it so far.

Happy to hear Dante is next, love that series.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 19 December, 2018, 12:15:25 PM
The UC has been my first time reading Ace Trucking, and I haven't found it dated at all. I wasn't alive in the 70s and can't say I've seen any CB radio/trucking films from that time, so I'm just taking it for what it is - knockabout space fun.

Well Convoy is the best known example, you also have the now obscure TV series BJ and the Bear, but also 'road trip/race's films like Cannonball Run and Smokey and the Bandit capture the mood of that era. Agreed that it's dated better than Robo Hunter though.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 20 December, 2018, 03:38:42 AM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 19 December, 2018, 12:15:25 PM

Well Convoy is the best known example, you also have the now obscure TV series BJ and the Bear, but also 'road trip/race's films like Cannonball Run and Smokey and the Bandit capture the mood of that era. Agreed that it's dated better than Robo Hunter though.

Hard to appreciate just how huge that Convoy song was (It even spawned a typical British comedy parody)

Well I am no longer quite so smug that I didn't subscribe and have been buying selected books from Forbidden Planet - just realised my pre-ordered Nikolai Dante has not arrived, but I can't remember my password and the "forgot password" emails are not reaching me (I get that with a lot of wenbsites) so I'm locked out of my account! Grrrrrr

sintec

Bad Company is superb, loving it.  Awesome cover, great art and the story just keeps getting better (just over half way through the first story so far).

Colin YNWA

Only pick up the Dante volumes and just got the 4th volume but damn these books are great and can't wait to have the complete Dante in nice hardcovers. Makes me wonder if I should be looking at some other series to get in this format.

Nemesis I could never justify as I have a LOT of that multiple times already BUT do we know if Kingdom will be complete (assuming the recent story is the last?

IndigoPrime

Last I knew, Kingdom was only two books. I suppose if there's an extension they could roll in the rest of it. Here's hoping.

Does anyone have any thoughts about custom spines? Probably more hassle than it's worth, but I was wondering whether that's even viable with modern printers/vinyl or something.

sintec

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 December, 2018, 09:43:36 AM
do we know if Kingdom will be complete (assuming the recent story is the last?

Wait Kingdom has come to a conclusion! I'm assuming this is in the recent run in the prog?

Currently only 2 books planned and I'm pretty sure we had a complete list of 80.  Here's hoping for an extension because it'd really suck to have 2/3rds of the story in nice hard back and the ending in a different format.

Colin YNWA

We're not sure. End of last story felt like an end to some Inc me but no confirmation.

IndigoPrime

It looks like Kingdom in the UC ends with Beast of Eden (Prog 1972). Barney's not up to date, and so I've no idea how much more there is. As it is in Heaven is listed as 66pg. The recent run must be in a similar territory. Is that all that's left?

From what I can tell, the two UC volumes basically split the three Rebellion paperbacks between them. Kingdom also doesn't appear to be in Rebellion's line-up for next year, which is a kicker. Again, here's hoping this series goes to extension. If nothing else, I'm sure – assuming Rebellion's willing – people would be very happy to wrap up any strips left on cliffhangers, and perhaps get a couple of extra crackers in there (like Firekind).