Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

2000AD Prog 79: Dredd in Las Vegas
It's just Ian Gibson on Robo-Hunter now.  All the ants are killed.  Yes, all the ants.  Every single one.

Star Lord No 16: Massacre on the Moon! All our mates are being wiped out, Ro-Jaws – and we could be next!
Cellu-Wagnerfoam dome walls are all the rage on the moon!

Magnetica

Just loved those Starlord Robusters stories. The artists don't seem to get the recognition they deserve 40 years later, especially Carlos Pino. Apart from Ian Kennedy obviously.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 02 August, 2019, 09:46:45 AM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 02 August, 2019, 02:38:55 AM
If there's one knock against the Cursed Earth as it appears in the progs is all the color pages sacrificed for the board game. Such a waste!

Tell me about it - it doesn't even look like that great a board game!

Did you ever play the Flesh! card game from the early progs?

We always talked big about playing all the games, but so far the only one we've done is tomb of terror, because it was just in the prog, no cutting out required!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 05 August, 2019, 05:23:13 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 02 August, 2019, 09:46:45 AM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 02 August, 2019, 02:38:55 AM
If there's one knock against the Cursed Earth as it appears in the progs is all the color pages sacrificed for the board game. Such a waste!

Tell me about it - it doesn't even look like that great a board game!

Did you ever play the Flesh! card game from the early progs?

We always talked big about playing all the games, but so far the only one we've done is tomb of terror, because it was just in the prog, no cutting out required!

One day I'll get copies of those cards, print 'em out, laminate* them and take them to Lawless and/or other comic conventions with large Squaxx contingent.

* has to be laminated because these things usually take place in hotel bars and we'd want to play cards, not stick them to the tables!

Dandontdare

I used to cut out all those games, and after ruining my progs assembling dozens of fiddly counters, the actual gameplay was always disappointing - I seem to recall they were either insultingly simple and boring or ridiculously complex and boring.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 August, 2019, 01:11:13 PM
I used to cut out all those games, and after ruining my progs assembling dozens of fiddly counters, the actual gameplay was always disappointing - I seem to recall they were either insultingly simple and boring or ridiculously complex and boring.

I read a similar review somewhere else recently (possibly posted by yourself on another thread).  But I've gotta find out for myself!

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 05 August, 2019, 01:27:51 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 August, 2019, 01:11:13 PM

I read a similar review somewhere else recently (possibly posted by yourself on another thread).  But I've gotta find out for myself!

I did mention it elsewhere recently!

sheridan

2000AD Prog 80: You come any closer Mr. Robot and... ...Robo-Hunter will get you!
The moment of truth approaches - Tharg is plugging the 2000AD 1979 annual - if you'll remember, trying to plough through that was what ground the prog slog blog to a halt two years ago!  Giant ants go on a tour of South America.

Star Lord No 17: It is Planet Earth's last day – for this is the Day of the Clone, the Day of... Clone Wars!
The first non-Carlos Strontium Dog!

SpaceSpinner2000

Appreciate the mentions! Ant Wars has a lot going on under the surface, for the record :D
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 May, 2019, 11:27:39 PM
I enjoyed that, but c'mon mate, pick up the pace - my great-grandchildren will be reading witty reviews of Necropolis at this rate!

I'm enjoying these, but c'mon mate, give it a rest! How's a man supposed to keep up* with this rate of thrillpower?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(*especially since our work tightened internet security and decided that most blog sites were verboten, so can't read these or the Thrillshots anymore  :()

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 August, 2019, 09:51:35 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 May, 2019, 11:27:39 PM
I enjoyed that, but c'mon mate, pick up the pace - my great-grandchildren will be reading witty reviews of Necropolis at this rate!

I'm enjoying these, but c'mon mate, give it a rest! How's a man supposed to keep up* with this rate of thrillpower?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(*especially since our work tightened internet security and decided that most blog sites were verboten, so can't read these or the Thrillshots anymore  :()

Don't worry - if I'm going to falter, it'll be in the next few days - I'm on the annuals at the moment and there's a lot of tedious text features and reprints from the pre-2000AD / Star Wars era (i.e. the kind of things that Mills and Wagner were trying to get away from).  I was almost a week ahead with scheduled posts, but that's slipping...

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 06 August, 2019, 09:20:54 PM
Appreciate the mentions! Ant Wars has a lot going on under the surface, for the record :D

No worries - it's been great listening to the early podcasts now that I've read them recently - just listening to you and Fox talking about the incorrect predictions on which Beatles survived to 1999!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 06 August, 2019, 11:10:28 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 06 August, 2019, 09:20:54 PM

No worries - it's been great listening to the early podcasts now that I've read them recently - just listening to you and Fox talking about the incorrect predictions on which Beatles survived to 1999!

That's where I believe the main 2000AD timeline diverges from our own!

Good luck with the early annuals, until 1980 and the Dredd annual they can be ROUGH.

sheridan

2000AD Prog 81: Dan Dare Guardian of the Galaxy

Tharg gives away spoilers for the end of Flesh Book II - even though it hasn't even begun yet!  Questionable robots in Robo-Hunter.  Anteater saves the day.  Tweak gets his turn in the spotlight.

Star Lord No 18: I can invade minds, stop time, warp space... I have the power!

The power of greyskull!  Sorry, wrong franchise...
Strontium Dog sees its third artist in as many episodes - for those with the Agency Files - are the Starlord McCarthy / Gibson episodes not included?  I think I read somewhere that it's only King Carlos stories in the first collection?

Status report - still (stuck) on the Dan Dare annual - it's the reprints and text stories that does it!  I've still got the second half of the Rick Random story to plough through (please let it be a half, and not a third)...

p.s. I'm pretty sure I already know what my favourite quote from the annual is going to be - it should be published on Monday (assuming I ever actually finish reading the rest).  Any guesses out there what it's going to be? 

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 08 August, 2019, 01:00:04 AM
Strontium Dog sees its third artist in as many episodes - for those with the Agency Files - are the Starlord McCarthy / Gibson episodes not included?  I think I read somewhere that it's only King Carlos stories in the first collection?

Don't know where you heard that, but the books include everything (though in disappointing mono).
@jamesfeistdraws