Main Menu

'The change in Sláine...

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 24 August, 2020, 01:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 August, 2020, 05:58:20 PM
Simple rule: pronounce everything like Merlin from Excalibur.

Still my favourite depictions of Merlin and Arthur, RIP Nicol Williamson and Nigel Terry.

Funt Solo

I know we bang on about the golden age a lot, but some of the art is just gobsmackingly brilliant. This piece (Glenn Fabry on Time Killer) looks even better in its full-page splash framing, but I'm wary of pasting up entire pages:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

So good. You have to give Pugh and (here) Fabry maximum points for somehow outdoing Bellardinelli himself on the Battle of Clontarf.

sixmo

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 August, 2020, 01:18:13 AM
So good. You have to give Pugh and (here) Fabry maximum points for somehow outdoing Bellardinelli himself on the Battle of Clontarf.

Gotta say I do prefer the Belardinelli warp spasm to the Pugh one. More warpey! I thought the Pugh one was a bit sweaty in contrast. Pugh kinda suffered a bit in contrast to how amazing the Fabry stuff is even though his stuff is very very good. I wish I could track down my 1985 Annual which has that Belardinelli version of the Battle of Clontarf in it. It's in a box somewhere *safe* in the attic, but where?!

Sowt-er vs Sudder in Rogue Trooper? Ha! That's nothing compared to my pronunciation of 'chem clouds'. It was 'shem' in my head for ages. The shame!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sixmo on 31 August, 2020, 08:30:26 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 31 August, 2020, 01:18:13 AM

Gotta say I do prefer the Belardinelli warp spasm to the Pugh one. More warpey! I thought the Pugh one was a bit sweaty in contrast. Pugh kinda suffered a bit in contrast to how amazing the Fabry stuff is even though his stuff is very very good. I wish I could track down my 1985 Annual which has that Belardinelli version of the Battle of Clontarf in it. It's in a box somewhere *safe* in the attic, but where?!

Sowt-er vs Sudder in Rogue Trooper? Ha! That's nothing compared to my pronunciation of 'chem clouds'. It was 'shem' in my head for ages. The shame!

'Shem' clouds give them the classy Parisian vibe they surely deserve.

I've just discovered that Rudraige is pronounced something like 'Roory' and is in fact the original spelling of Rory.  It means 'Red (haired) King' - think 'ruddy' and 'rex' - and like Telemachus ('Far away son') proves that old-time storytellers had a rubbish imagination when it came to naming characters.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 September, 2020, 03:51:52 PM
Quote from: sixmo on 31 August, 2020, 08:30:26 PM

'Shem' clouds give them the classy Parisian vibe they surely deserve.

Nu Paree-san vibe, surely?

Or maybe Frank Sector vibe...

TordelBack

..and like Telemachus ('Far away son') proves that old-time storytellers had a rubbish imagination when it came to naming characters.

Oh dear, I always thought Telemachus meant "End of Battle", as in the son Odysseus intended to return to when Troy was won (and thus horribly ironic).  But this makes more sense!  :-[

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 September, 2020, 05:57:38 PM
..and like Telemachus ('Far away son') proves that old-time storytellers had a rubbish imagination when it came to naming characters.

Oh dear, I always thought Telemachus meant "End of Battle", as in the son Odysseus intended to return to when Troy was won (and thus horribly ironic).  But this makes more sense!  :-[

Hang on, I still know feck all.  It means 'Far fighter' according to Wikipedia - I was going by what a mate who did Greek and Roman Civilisation at UCD told me 25 years ago.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Hah, these days the only Greek I remember extends to asking for a ftino domatio and ordering dio Mythos, parakalo. I was going by 'Tele-' in its other meaning as 'End' or 'Final',  and 'Mache' as ''Battle' plus some shite I presumably read on a beermat.

We should ask Johnson,  presumably it's all he's good for,  but in the meantime I defer to Jayzus and/or Wikipedia, it makes more sense!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 September, 2020, 10:00:48 PM
Hah, these days the only Greek I remember extends to asking for a ftino domatio and ordering dio Mythos, parakalo. I was going by 'Tele-' in its other meaning as 'End' or 'Final',  and 'Mache' as ''Battle' plus some shite I presumably read on a beermat.

We should ask Johnson,  presumably it's all he's good for,  but in the meantime I defer to Jayzus and/or Wikipedia, it makes more sense!

I'd stick with Wikipedia - you've used more Greek words in that post than I have in my brain.

TordelBack

That's why we'll never be PMs of the UK, Jayzus. Unqualified in the things that matter.

JayzusB.Christ