Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 December, 2020, 08:06:50 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 December, 2020, 06:54:58 PM
What are the correct word combinations for referencing something that is period-draped but not accurately period-draped?

Very good question! I just call them "fantasy" and have done with it, but as that includes both Star Wars and Braveheart it may be a bit broad for our purpose. "Period Fantasy", maybe?

I like "period fantasy"* - let's push it. To the lexicon we go! (In tights, probably.)

*Although I never fantasize about periods.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Smith

Star Wars would be science fantasy,by that metric.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 December, 2020, 08:24:52 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 29 December, 2020, 08:06:50 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 December, 2020, 06:54:58 PM
What are the correct word combinations for referencing something that is period-draped but not accurately period-draped?

Very good question! I just call them "fantasy" and have done with it, but as that includes both Star Wars and Braveheart it may be a bit broad for our purpose. "Period Fantasy", maybe?

I like "period fantasy"* - let's push it. To the lexicon we go! (In tights, probably.)

If it's set in Britain, surely "Full Stop Fantasy" would be more appropriate?
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 30 December, 2020, 06:29:29 PM
Star Wars would be science fantasy,by that metric.

"Space fantasy" is how it was described by Roy Thomas* on the first page of the first Marvel comic, and that's how I've always thought of and enjoyed, it since. There's no science involved, but there is space.

*or Archie Goodwin, or whoever was re-editing the reprint for Marvel UK.

TordelBack

EDIT: It was actually that there cover, or the Weekly version (which had the same tagline).

pictsy

A lot of science fiction doesn't involve science.  Hard Sci-Fi is the sub-genre that is most associated with a need for depicting science.

Star Wars is of another sub-genre of science fiction known as space opera.  It's a pretty old sci-fi sub-genre.  It includes other notable works like Flash Gordan.  Y'know, the film Lucas wanted to do and decided on making Star Wars when it came to nothing.

Funt Solo

Not really adding much to the discussion, but the board's been invoking this for a couple of days now, so...

Gordon's Alive?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Babylon 5 Season 2

I think this season the show does get a little better but this is where it really starts settling into the overall story arc.  I really wish I could feel that sense of disquiet about the Shadows as when I first watched this show on its original broadcast.

My biggest complaint is the militaristic reverence the show has and I'm really curious whether that tone will shift when certain story line elements occur.

The characters are all still great, but G'Kar and Londo really stood out in Season 2.  Londo is especially interesting at being both repulsive and extremely likable.

Funt Solo

Quote from: pictsy on 30 December, 2020, 09:36:15 PM
A lot of science fiction doesn't involve science.  Hard Sci-Fi is the sub-genre that is most associated with a need for depicting science.

Star Wars is of another sub-genre of science fiction known as space opera.  It's a pretty old sci-fi sub-genre.  It includes other notable works like Flash Gordan.  Y'know, the film Lucas wanted to do and decided on making Star Wars when it came to nothing.

Made me think of the The Expanse (either the book or tv series), in that it takes great pains to invoke hard sci-fi, with its ship physics but then does that thing with the ring, which allows it to also be space opera.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 31 December, 2020, 08:08:29 PM
Made me think of the The Expanse (either the book or tv series), in that it takes great pains to invoke hard sci-fi, with its ship physics but then does that thing with the ring, which allows it to also be space opera.

From what I've seen of The Expanse I'd say it is a space opera, but I've only watched the first two seasons of the TV show.

shaolin_monkey

This holiday season I chained all three seasons of Ozark.

:o

I think I've traumatised myself. So tense, but could not step away. So many people making so many poor decisions. The last ten seconds of season 3 was just mind-blowing.

The Legendary Shark

American Horror Story. Something of a rediscovery for me. I remember watching the first season and being mildly intrigued to discover that the second season would use the same actors in different roles. Then I forgot all about it until a friend gave me several seasons of the thing for Christmas.

I've just started season four (Freak Show), and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm finding that a large part of my enjoyment is coming from the same actors in different roles schtick - stand out so far are Lily Rabe stepping expertly from sex-crazed Sister Mary Eunice McKee to flower-child swamp witch Misty Day, Frances Conroy finding different ways to be dotty, Angela Basset apparently ageing backwards, and all the rest. And, bloody Hell, isn't Jessica Lange just snecking awesome?

Anyway, I have to stop typing now because Michael Chicklis just turned up with... Good heavens...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 January, 2021, 08:11:09 PM

American Horror Story. Something of a rediscovery for me. I remember watching the first season and being mildly intrigued to discover that the second season would use the same actors in different roles. Then I forgot all about it until a friend gave me several seasons of the thing for Christmas.

I've just started season four (Freak Show), and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm finding that a large part of my enjoyment is coming from the same actors in different roles schtick - stand out so far are Lily Rabe stepping expertly from sex-crazed Sister Mary Eunice McKee to flower-child swamp witch Misty Day, Frances Conroy finding different ways to be dotty, Angela Basset apparently ageing backwards, and all the rest. And, bloody Hell, isn't Jessica Lange just snecking awesome?

Anyway, I have to stop typing now because Michael Chicklis just turned up with... Good heavens...

One interesting thing I found about American Horror Story is that, not only do the same actors play different characters each season but in later seasons [spoiler]there is a bit of cross-over where characters from previous seasons turn up. Meaning you end up with two characters played by the same actor in the same season. Although not usually in the same scenes. Confused? Heh.[/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

Looking forward to that! I also see that season ten is due out this year, with that lad from Home Alone.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Just hinged Season 1 of STAGED on the iPlayer. Marvellous laugh out loud stuff. Even the self-aware changing titles work brilliantly.

When was the first recorded instance of an actor or celeb playing an exaggerated, idiotic, vain version of themselves?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!