Main Menu

ET found in the desert

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 27 April, 2014, 10:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Trout

This story is funny as hell. Also, I liked that game.

Professor Bear

Given the well-known woes of their current console, it's especially funny that Microsoft is bankrolling a documentary about a console manufacturer that came a cropper by gambling everything on exclusivity deals.

Fungus

Is this an exercise in schadenfreude?
At a loss over the significance of this story.

Professor Bear

It's nerd clickbait, as the rumored existence of such a landfill has been an urban legend for decades among gamers and sci-fi fans - though fair play the website reporting this (Polygon) is a notorious shill for Microsoft and the story is being used to promote XBL original programming.
Personally, I would have promoted programming by announcing "OUR FIRST ORIGINAL DRAMA IS A SERIES ABOUT SEXBOTS" on every forum on the web and then sat back and watched the cash roll in.  Nerds sure do love their sexbots.

TordelBack

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 28 April, 2014, 02:17:01 AM
It's nerd clickbait, as the rumored existence of such a landfill has been an urban legend for decades among gamers and sci-fi fans

It was never even an urban legend; said burial was reported at the time of its taking place in numerous articles and reports, including The New York Times for whom the landfill operation was confirmed by Atari.

Indeed it is nothing more than a promotion stunt.

Frank

Doesn't news of this excavation belong in the 2000ad Predicted The Future thread, alongside a picture of Filmore Faro wearing a couple of Atari cartridges as earrings?

Spaceghost

Nerds sure do love their sexbots.

Because they never say "Euur, I'm not doing it with a NERD". Unless you program them to. Which I would.

ET on the Atari 2600 was one of the first video games I ever completed which had more to do with my obsession for ET than it did with the quality of the game.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

IAMTHESYSTEM

ET meets the Emperors Space Marines. A very,very short game.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Professor Bear

Quote from: Spaceghost on 28 April, 2014, 12:31:48 PM
Nerds sure do love their sexbots.

Because they never say "Euur, I'm not doing it with a NERD". Unless you program them to. Which I would.

It is almost always part of the sexbots' evil plan that they have to specifically shag someone geeky, socially inadequate, and/or devoid of physically attractive traits.
For some reason this is a very popular trope in sci-fi - I think the Japanese name for the Battlestar Galactica remake even translates as "Sex Robots In Space".

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Spaceghost on 28 April, 2014, 12:31:48 PM

Could Spaceghost be Lobster Random?

ThryllSeekyr

I own one of those Atari E.T. game cartriges and might still have it somewhere.

I didn't think the game was so bad....