Main Menu

1565 - Blitzkrieg!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 26 November, 2007, 02:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

That scene reminded me of the castle break-in from Top Secret, where one German guard, on hearing obvious noises of a struggle behind him (where another guard is being over-powered), just shrugs his shoulders, and walks on.

Maybe, with Justice Dept. being undermanned (well, the Chief Judge always says that) those are just cutout sentry Judges.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Ochs

"Hopefully, I'm in the minority because, despite the fact I don't get them and they are keeping potential new Future Shocks out of the prog, I do appluad the general air of mentalness that they contain."

My problem with the Twisted Tales are that they seem really out of place in 2000ad. Somehow they'd seem more at home in the meg. On a personal level I don't particularly enjoy them but that's just a question of taste. Give the guy an extended run in the meg with it's direction of late that would seem more natural.

Fear leads to doubt which leads to the worst case scenario.

Matt Timson

I don't care about any of that- I just want to somebody to explain it to me!
Pffft...

the shutdown man

I'm glad I'm not alone in the Bob Byrne department. I was more or less getting it until the last page, and then it just became a case of "WTF?"

Having said that, I quite like the previous Tales. They do often require more than one read, for me anyway, but they've usually got a nicely dark edge to them, and I like the artwork.

Also, I agree with what others are saying about Sin/Dex; I'm really enjoying the way it's moving at the moment, but now that things seem to be in place, instead of having these little short stories here and there that only advance the larger story a smidgen, we need another Eurocrash style epic.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

DavidXBrunt

"I'm not even sure who the hero is in this...Is the T2 style goodie Cap'n Jack or one of his crew who I never learned the names of?"

Yep, it's one of the crew. Jim Vinegar, who died at the climax of Book four. His body was taken over by the intelligence that welcomed the crew to the centre of the earth.

The remaining crew, for future reference.

Swinging Billy, the Bosun, former lover of Mistress Meryll the Jolly Criple, star of the first Meanwhile side step. Burly bloke with a tatoo/permanant headress across his forehead.

Julius Ceaser, the young lad who improvised a brandy based flamethrower to ward off zombies in the first tale. Son of the reknowned Tenor Le Chevalier Noir - sidekick to Isaac Newton in the last short story.

Ginger Tom Vinegar - Father of Jim, wearer of an Uncle Albert style beard. Generally a bit grizzled. Was he right to be so protective of Jim in view of what happened to him, or would it have not happened if he'd let him stand on his own feet?

I do think there needs to be an intro page occasionally, perhaps before the next series? If they crop up every couple of stories they'd make handy additions to graphic novels, and could double up with a page of art in the star scan slot in the end of year progs.

COMMANDO FORCES

Those sentry Judges must be from the same stock as those dumb fucks who stood outside Rico's prison in the film.
I'm enjoying the story and it's conclusion but these Judges nowadays are rubbish.
God knows how they managed to hold out against the Sovs before but then again that was the time when Judges were Judges not this Namby Pamby Shower of Shite. I give up I really do!

I, Cosh

God knows how they managed to hold out against the Sovs before but then again that was the time when Judges were Judges not this Namby Pamby Shower of Shite.

Just thank your God that not all the East Meggers were built like Nikita Engels!
We never really die.

vzzbux

Also why would a SECRET justice facility have visible sentries in the first place?

I can see another Grennie fanbash coming along.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Funt Solo

We've already mentioned the Apocalypse War.  His piss-take was fairly accurate, really.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Goaty

brilliant prog!!!!!!!
the cover is good.

Judge Slaughterhouse: It was good twist!!! it will be one story i cant wait for next week!!! But I think that general will shooting kitty to stop her tell more, but Nate will likely kill rest of gang before shooting down, but please please please, let him be alive!!! again brilliant... but still want Kev Walker's style!

Bob: a clever plans, as the bloodsuckers suck bloods of him to make him look aged...

Sin/Dex: no shows of Sin and Dex on this prog, but the start Wars of the Moses. looks promises.

Red Seas: again, it not dolls!!! what the mind-fuck going on? hehe...

Buttonmen: I do like the way it gonna, but the fate next week? as the same fate to the man in last series?

again all brilliant, how can Prog 2008 better than that????? and for gosh sakes, no blood of satanus!!!

satchmo

I read the Bob Byrne story first to see if I could understand it!

So he discovers the creatures like blood, he gets them to eat through the wall by putting his own blood onto it for ages, then escapes and... erm... bashes his own face in and jumps in the sea. The creatures then help him get to the mainland, either by swimming or floating. He doesn't drown and then sees a poster of how he used to look.

I liked all the previous ones but this one was pretty sloppy. The storytelling is all over the place, and it felt like it was shoehorned into being a silent story, when maybe it could have been better if it had words.

Sergio Aragones is a master of silent comics, but he doesn't limit himself by just doing them.

I am glad it's in the prog but it weren't great.

Dudley

When the creatures drink blood, they swell up.  So when he bashes his face in, they attach themselves to it and to the other lacerations on his body, blow up, and act like little self-inflating life rafts.  This keeps him afloat and helps him survive the sea's rough tossing.

When he gets to land, he is so depleted of blood, and has been injured so badly, that he does not resemble his former self in any way, and thus gets away scot free - but at WHAT COST?

I thought it was great, myself.

satchmo

Yeah that kind of makes sense. The last couple of pages should have made it a lot clearer.

It's the logic free prog this week, what the hell were those sentry judges doing?! It spoiled the episode a bit for me.

mogzilla

the bob byrne thing through me too not as obvious as some of the other offerings we've had 9maybe thats the point) i personally thought the african general and the apple tale was the best of the bunch so far.

Proudhuff

I'm Back after a gap in my subbie, hopefully to be backfilled

Dredd - Surprised this is still going, a bit over long but still enjoyable

Bob Bakers Bit: could have been shorter I feel and a bit more mutant as it were.

Sin Dex: Stopped reading this ages ago when they jumped the gunshark for the thrid time.

Red Seas - looks interestring, Sorry i missed the start of this, looking forward to catching up

Button Man still going? not a lot of surprises here

overall a disappointing rejoiner for me, maybe its low thrill power levels at Chez-Huffy  
DDT did a job on me