Main Menu

Wacom Cintiq, any good?

Started by LARF, 24 August, 2012, 05:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbell

I'm currently at a point where I have the 'means' to invest in something like a Cintiq. I'm was all set on buying one of these until I realised my computer wouldn't support it:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/60ACUAR2US/460/2D2E6910F1B64671956D698D3C85F912

I'm also consider the Yiynova 19 MSPU, similar price to a Cintiq 13HD but with a bigger active area.

Thing is though, I'd really want to try it out before I commit that much cash but it's not like you ever see these things in shops.

Jon

Quote from: Danbell on 03 July, 2014, 04:56:01 PM
I'm currently at a point where I have the 'means' to invest in something like a Cintiq. I'm was all set on buying one of these until I realised my computer wouldn't support it:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/60ACUAR2US/460/2D2E6910F1B64671956D698D3C85F912

I'm also consider the Yiynova 19 MSPU, similar price to a Cintiq 13HD but with a bigger active area.

Thing is though, I'd really want to try it out before I commit that much cash but it's not like you ever see these things in shops.

Well, Bob's got a big 'un, and if you ever want to have a blast on my 13HD you're more than welcome (I'm in Hanover).

The trouble with trying, I found when I had a go on Bob's* is it doesn't really give you a terribly accurate idea of what the experience is. You do have to spend a bit of time with them.

*Also it was 4am and I was fairly drunk.

Danbell

I've had a go on Bobs (oo-er missus) but you don't really get a real idea of the whole experiance. I'll just have to take the plunge and hope for the best.

HdE

Quote from: Danbell on 03 July, 2014, 04:56:01 PM

The problem there is, it really does take WEEKS to develop a feel for using the Cintiq. So a 20 minute gaff about with one on the shop floor of Currys wouldn't necesarily give you a true impression of how the unit works at its best.

When trying to solve the pen lag problem on my Cintiq, I carted the unit down to my local PC World, where they kindly allowed me to plug it into a couple of machines to see how it performed on differently specced set-ups. This was an eye opener.

Sales staff in an electrical retail branch really won't have a clue as to the specifics of such a device. The first salesman I dealt with tried to convince me to just buy a new Windows OS, and it would fix everything. THIS IS CRAP, and I told him so, and he was hauled away by his boss for a (clearly audible) bollocking. The next two guys  (from the tech support counter) were much more helpful, and explained a little of how a processor works when driving something like a touch-screen display in a multi-monitor set-up. However, they were very honest about the fact that they never really sold devices like this, and one of them had never even seen one up close.

So, really, you're going to have to do your own research. But the better appointed your PC or Mac is, the smoother things should go for you.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Dunk!

I've used a Cintiq at work for 5+yrs and have never encountered a lag problem, or, alternatively, I've been using a Cintiq for 5+yrs and, after sheer excitement got me through the first few month, am oblivious to any lag - though the machine it's connected to is 5+yrs old to.

My only piece of advice, as a heavy-handed klutz, is use the hard felt tips for your pen.
They last about a month and a half each and have helped my work screen and saved homes.
It's a little extra yearly but well worth it in my book.

Hard felt tips - ya know it mocks sense.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Jon

I find they're great for drawing, but a bit too sticky for painting or blocking. Stroke nibs are fantastic for painting.

The tips do make a difference though, I end up swapping 'em around a lot depending in what I'm doing.

Dunk!

Quote from: Jon on 05 July, 2014, 10:30:24 AM
I end up swapping 'em around a lot depending in what I'm doing.

That sounds like some kinda... Some kinda extra effort.
Pfft, begone with your efforty ways and weird work pipeline.

Dunk! (+2 lazy)
"Trust we"

HdE

It's not really. The pen stand has an extractor tool in it which makes removal a cinch.

I've been using a felt nib for about 9 months now. It's not really given me any concerns with wear as yet. Only *just* thinking about replacing it.

I really do need to get some extra nibs at some point, though. Wacom bundle just a single spring-loaded nib with the Cintiq, which iss a bit of a shame. Really need to give that one a workout sometime!

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

radiator

I just ordered a older model Cintiq 24HD off Amazon for $44.....

Fully expecting them to cancel my order once they realise their mistake, but thought it was worth a punt...