Main Menu

EXCLUSIVE - FIRST STILL FROM DREDD!

Started by Cyber-Matt, 19 November, 2010, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SneakeeX on 09 December, 2010, 10:55:23 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47680
Ugh...those assholes over AIC.com are having a feeding frenzy on the pictures of the vehicles.
Cue references to Stallones Dredd and Robocop..I really hate the people on that site. You really don't want to look at the comments but you end up doing so and leave the site feeling dirty. Clearly the people have no idea what they are talking about seeing as Robocop was based on Dredd to a certain degree. People there are looking for another Stallone type version???!!

There will always be critics when it comes to adaptations but you can't really criticise something just because they didn't make it the way you wanted it made. There will always be arseholes on the web because it flippant and easy. Criticism must take something on it's own terms and how well an idea is executed. It's not really about matters of taste. If you want to see a Dredd film your way, make it youself. The Minty crew did.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: thelawgiver on 09 December, 2010, 03:16:31 PM
...was Dredd 33 or something in those early strips?

Yes he was, you could construe that Dredd in his 20's in the new film but it doesn't really matter.

Hoagy

If anyone watched Wallace and Gromit's world of invention last night, they would know that; firing a laser that's 4 times hotter than the surface of the sun, against itself, within a contraption, will propel the saucer like flying objects which will change the face of travel as we know it. Due for a full showing about 2025. And once the big guys a perfected. They only have to turn it down for individual transportations. :)

He's late 20's... when he meets Anderson then?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

James Stacey

Isn't it all a bit vague how old he actually is as he grew up in a tank

Greg M.

He's physically five years older than he is chronologically. Although then you've got to factor in the post-Necropolis rejuve job which probably knocked a decade back off again.

CraveNoir

In Origins the long held "born at 5" was refined to clones emerging at "roughly age five or six".

2066 - Dredd is born, accelerated cloning makes him effectively 5/6 years old.
2070 - Atomic Wars. Dredd gets first taste of the streets in "Origins"
2079 - Dredd graduates at 18/19.
2080 - Anderson born.
2099 - First Dredd story in 2000ad. He's 38/39.
2102 - First appearance of Anderson and Judge Death
2132 - Now. Assuming rejuve takes off a decade, he's running around like a 61/62 year-old.

Hoagy

That pairs up well with Anderson being 19 when she appears for grading and Dredd being a futuristic 40ish.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

DKCX

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 December, 2010, 03:20:32 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47680
Ugh...those assholes over AIC.com are having a feeding frenzy on the pictures of the vehicles.
Cue references to Stallones Dredd and Robocop..I really hate the people on that site. You really don't want to look at the comments but you end up doing so and leave the site feeling dirty. Clearly the people have no idea what they are talking about seeing as Robocop was based on Dredd to a certain degree. People there are looking for another Stallone type version???!!

There will always be critics when it comes to adaptations but you can't really criticise something just because they didn't make it the way you wanted it made. There will always be arseholes on the web because it flippant and easy. Criticism must take something on it's own terms and how well an idea is executed. It's not really about matters of taste. If you want to see a Dredd film your way, make it youself. The Minty crew did.

Not sure if you mistook me for being critical of the pictures. I'm supporting whatever vision the director and DNA have in mind for it once the finished movie turns out to be good and loyal to the Dredd character. The vehicle pictures to be honest initially put me off a small bit, but I'm not judging it now unlike the AIC.com people. I'm reserving judgement and I'm already to go and see it. Reading what other people believe this to be early Dredd years does make sense and the vehicles would make sense.
Just wanted to clear that up Joe Soap

blackmocco

Clearly the people have no idea what they are talking about seeing as Robocop was based on Dredd to a certain degree. People there are looking for another Stallone type version???!!

Check out the special features on the 2-disc Robocop DVD in regards to 'certain degree'. Seriously. There's a maquette being sculpted in one of the stills and it's literally Dredd.

Actually, here it is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97531199@N00/4524587533/

As for AICN, I wouldn't pay too much heed. They're all haters of everything new. Guess it's easy to have a bold and controversial opinion typing from the safety of Mummy's basement...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Emperor

Quote from: thelawgiver on 09 December, 2010, 03:16:31 PM
Quote from: Mark Taylor on 09 December, 2010, 08:37:26 AM
Quote from: blackmocco on 08 December, 2010, 05:09:33 PMPretty sure we're actually NOT going to have flying cars by then...

Very likely there will not be anything close to flying cars until somebody figures out a sustainable way to fuel them. Flying (at least the getting up in the air part) requires a LOT more energy than travelling along the ground.

I think electromagnetism will be the key.

Airships.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Peter Wolf

Surely using the same principles as a helicopter would be the easiest way to create a flying car.

There may also be other ways to do this that i dont know about including top secret R+D and surpressed Anti-gravity technology if it exists.I dont know if it does as its not my area of interest.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

doggettX

Health and saftey would never allow a flying car.

Instead of breaking down and pulling over to the side, you'll break down and fall on someones house.

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Judge Palmer

Quote from: blackmocco on 09 December, 2010, 05:33:02 PM
Clearly the people have no idea what they are talking about seeing as Robocop was based on Dredd to a certain degree. People there are looking for another Stallone type version???!!

Check out the special features on the 2-disc Robocop DVD in regards to 'certain degree'. Seriously. There's a maquette being sculpted in one of the stills and it's literally Dredd.

Actually, here it is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97531199@N00/4524587533/

As for AICN, I wouldn't pay too much heed. They're all haters of everything new. Guess it's easy to have a bold and controversial opinion typing from the safety of Mummy's basement...

Blimey! You're right the head on the maquette/sculpture is Dredd for sure. Goes to show they were working on Dredd before it was scrapped and they started on Robocop. Great insight pic, thanks for sharing :)
Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

Peter Wolf

I think the comments about this film looking like or being another Robocop was because of the similarity to the vans in the pictures and the OMNICorp police vehicles in Robocop as there definately is a similarity in them which is noticable and its what i thought of the second i saw them.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death