Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 December, 2020, 08:06:56 PM
Oh that is a boozy of a page!

I meant to say doozy... but you know I'm crap at this typing English thing!

Anyway my pages arrived and as well as two from Rok - which I'll post elsewhere - I got this Dredd light Dredd page.

I'm a lazy old git so I'll just copy what I said over at my Comic Art Fans page...

Dan put some art up for sale - seriously contact him his prices are insanely good - and I wanted a Dredd to go with my Rok pieces, but ended up with this page, which has limited Dredd in it (mind what Dredd there is is superb). From his 2020 story with Rob Williams - "They shoot talking horses don't they?" I just fell in love with this page.

First it does have Dredd on it looking very cool in a western setting - and I love a western setting. But two other things were more important to me. Secondly I love the way Dan draws Judge Anderson. Making her handsome, but not sexualised and not making her look like she's 19 or something daft. She looks hard and tired. Its just a fantastic depiction of this superb character.

Third and most importantly though the sequence on the bottom half the page is just superb storytelling. The establishing shot giving place and character. The joyful chase in only two panels quickly breaking down into the horror of that terrifying final panel. Its a simple masterclass. And man the design of monster and the 'Enormo-chickens' is wonderful - just look at the terror in the eye of the chicken hiding behind the left panel!

So yeah not the most Dreddy of Dredd pages, but I'm beginning to realise I really value Dredd pages that do a little bit more than simply show a cool action Dredd. I like to see his wider world and this one screams 'Cursed Earth' to me ... even if the beastie is an inter-dimensional hell-dog.

Link Prime

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 September, 2020, 09:58:52 AM
I'm loving seeing how much Dan is improving as an artist and a storyteller.

Yeah, his recent stint in the Megazine was superb.

Some nice pages there lads.

Barrington Boots

Not a new addition to Chez Boots but I wanted to share this stunning Leigh Gallagher Kingmaker page that I was bought last Christmas.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

ming

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 December, 2020, 11:31:31 AM
Not a new addition to Chez Boots but I wanted to share this stunning Leigh Gallagher Kingmaker page that I was bought last Christmas.

That's lovely - I've got a real soft spot for Kingmaker; when's it back in the Prog?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 11 December, 2020, 11:53:02 AM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 December, 2020, 11:31:31 AM

That's lovely - I've got a real soft spot for Kingmaker; when's it back in the Prog?

Yes to all that really. I hope Kingmaker doesn't fall victim to Ian Edginton's constant invention of new ideas as its a great strip, but feels like its been missing for a while now?

Barrington Boots

Quote from: ming on 11 December, 2020, 11:53:02 AM

Soon I hope! I really like it, and it feels like it's about to kick up a notch, after already kicking it up a notch already at the end of the last series..

Bolt-01

Tis a lovely page.

Seeing as Gallagher is at a loose end after drawing Hookjaw - maybe TMO can get him back into the saddle for Kingmaker. I read the trade of the published work so far and it was grand!

broodblik

Great stuff that Kingmaker page;  so hopefully we can get some Kingmaker next year
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

That's a great page.

I honestly don't think colour serves him well. I'd much rather see his B&W art for this whole series.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

ming

Leigh did a lovely Kingmaker piece for by globetrotting sketchbook thing:

Quote from: ming on 09 November, 2017, 12:17:36 PM
Fresh from the dazzling brainspace of Mr. Leigh Gallagher...  I can't wait for more Kingmaker in the Prog!

Barrington Boots

That is absolutely fantastic. Full of energy!

I'm a big fan of Leigh's work, I think generally I also prefer him in black and white, but there was some great use of colour on Kingmaker and the more recent Hookjaw.

Colin YNWA

Couple more treats have landed my way from the ever fantastic Wakefield Carter.

First up a page I've long admired, but was 'Reserved' but I asked anyway as it'd been on reserve for so long I had begun to wonder. It was available so I snapped it up. I've always loved the design of Valentine Romanov and that first panel of him leering out at the reader is just superb.

Colin YNWA

When I bought the last page from Dante featuring Lulu I almost jokingly said if anyone had the first page... well it turns out Wake did on his sales page and so I bought it - thanks again Wake. I was after some early Dante and this exchange between him and Dimitri just sums up their relationship so perfectly.

Trooper McFad

Very nice pages Colin. I do like Dante. Can I ask do/are you able to display these? As much as I'd love to purchase 1 or 2 pages I couldn't justify to the good lady spending a wedge on pages to leave them in a folder. 🙁
I'm waiting on ma boy to move out and then I can change his smelly pit into a Thrag cave but the way things are I'll be moving out before him 😂😂
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

davidbishop

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 January, 2021, 11:09:54 AM
When I bought the last page from Dante featuring Lulu I almost jokingly said if anyone had the first page... well it turns out Wake did on his sales page and so I bought it - thanks again Wake. I was after some early Dante and this exchange between him and Dimitri just sums up their relationship so perfectly.

Is there a link for Wake's sales page?