Main Menu

38 yr old expectant farther needs advice

Started by -=D0nk3ySh4gT1me=-, 21 November, 2006, 07:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-=D0nk3ySh4gT1me=-

Iâ??ve got 2 weeks before the big day and I need some reading material to take in with me. I havenâ??t really ventured from 200ad, Elektra Assassin , Ronin, a little Wolverine, Sandman and a few others, and Iâ??m hoping someone can suggest a couple graphic novels I can take in with me.

Something I can pick up and put down in regular intervals :) nothing thatâ??s going to get me to engrossed either.

-=D0nk3ySh4gT1me=-

thinky

i take it this is your first..?

you won't have time to do any reading as the mother-to-be will be too busy whacking you in the nuts, blaming you for all her ongoing misery

i tried to watch 'match of the day' during the lead-up to the birth of child#1, and i bloody well paid for that mistake

good luck anyway - my third's due in 3 weeks

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

-=D0nk3ySh4gT1me=-

yep, first one and a boy, 3 you must be mad :)
If it's not plain sailing i'll be sitting outside having a smoke and reading ma comic ;)

Floyd-the-k

well congratulations and I hope it goes well.  Don't let Logan pinch your parking space.
  Ummm, graphic novels that are good for an event such as that? Nothing too big - if you can't put it away quickly you'll earn the ire of your spouse. The Alan Moore Future Shocks book might be good - lots of good quick stories and it doesn't matter if you lose your place.
  I didn't have any time to read when I went in for my son's birth.

pauljholden

Forget reading, sleep. As much as you can. It'll be another 2 years before you get a decent chance to get some kip again.

- pj
(seriously, learn to sleep where ever/whenever you can...)

DavidXBrunt

You should look at Marvels Essential range or D.C.'s Showcase range. The first Superman volume is 500 pages of fun for £7.50 and you can dip in and out at leasure. The Jonah Hex volume is a revelation. As for Marvel, well pick a favourite and run with it. You can't go wrong with early Spiderman though. These have the benefit of being, mostly, self contained tales.

DavidXBrunt

You should look at Marvels Essential range or D.C.'s Showcase range. The first Superman volume is 500 pages of fun for £7.50 and you can dip in and out at leasure. The Jonah Hex volume is a revelation. As for Marvel, well pick a favourite and run with it. You can't go wrong with early Spiderman though. These have the benefit of being, mostly, self contained tales.

Art

To take to the hospital? Comics are great, but seriously, pack a real book instead. You'll want something that doesn't take up much space and that will last you a while, also somehing you don't mind droppiung or throwing to one side or craming in a pocket - you never know how long you might end up stuck in an uncomfortable hospital chair with nothing much to do, and on the other hand you might end up dropping everything in a mad rush.

Marbles

pj nailed it.

sleep.

once the little one arrives its game over man.

but in a nice way.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Buddy

Start practising fatherhood now by not sleeping, not seeing your mates and throwing all your money away.

Dudley

And look forward to the moment, ten years hence, when your son looks up at you and asks "Dad, what does Donkey Shag Time mean?"

skurvy

Forget reading, sleep. As much as you can. It'll be another 2 years before you get a decent chance to get some kip again...

Ha! Who are you trying to kid???

Tweak72

thinky is absolutely right you will not have time to read. How ever if you convince Mrs -=D0nk3ySh4gT1me=- to have an epidural then you will at least dispense with the her whacking you in the nuts and blaming you for all her ongoing misery.
congrats
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

-=D0nk3ySh4gT1me=-

Wow a lot of people promoting sleep lol