Main Menu

Prog 578!!!

Started by Grobbendonk, 14 March, 2015, 08:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grobbendonk

Just needed a place to express my utter joy at reaching Prog 578 in my epic read-through from #1!
This prog was the one that (aged 12) got me finally hooked on Thrill-Power. I'd been picking up the odd copy for a couple of years but somehow managed to avoid being sucked in.
The physical memory that washed over me as I read it, of sitting in my Aunt's window seat, eating Skittles and absolutely loving it to death! Even the letters and readers art were so familiar! A formative experience indeed!
As for the Prog - Bad Company II, Tales from the Doghouse (featuring Back-To-Front Jones), Judge Dredd: Full Mental Jacket, and ABC Warriors (with stunning Bisley b/w art). Is it just nostalgia or was this an utterly classic Prog and an example of 2000AD at its best?

Buttonman

Quote from: Grobbendonk on 14 March, 2015, 08:42:19 PM
Even the letters and readers art were so familiar!

Don't know any of these dudes!

SIMON   PENN                WOLVERHAMPTON   578      
CHRIS   ALLEN        RUGBY                   578      
DOMINIC   JENKINSON     STONNALL           578      
GAVIN   SODO        SOMERSET           578    JUDGE ALIEN
MATTHEW   SLATER        WARMINSTER   578    ROBO-THARG

Proteus4

I remember that prog well! Loved Full Mental Jacket and Ian Gibson's artwork on Dredd. I started around 553 so this was around 6 months after, and I was soooo in love with everything Tooth
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

JayzusB.Christ

Full Mental Jacket was, for me, the perfect Dredd strip.  As a glimpse into the world's most violent and depressing city and the minds of its violent and depressed people it hasn't been surpassed yet. 
And those last two frames were probably the best last two frames of any Dredd strip ever.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 March, 2015, 08:35:34 PM
Full Mental Jacket was, for me, the perfect Dredd strip.  As a glimpse into the world's most violent and depressing city and the minds of its violent and depressed people it hasn't been surpassed yet. 
And those last two frames were probably the best last two frames of any Dredd strip ever; two very short sentences showing an insight into Dredd's character that a lesser writer would struggle to capture through a whole multi-part series.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"