Main Menu

Preacher TV show given the go ahead by AMC

Started by Dodsy, 06 February, 2014, 10:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodsy

From Newsarama:
QuoteAMC's The Walking Dead is about to be joined by another comic colleague, with a bit of hellfire to it: Preacher.

AMC and Sony TV have formally announced that they have greenlit an adaptation of the Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's comic series Preacher by executive producers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Rogen and Goldberg, who penned 2013 film This Is The End, will serve as executive producers of the television series and pen the pilot episode. AMC have hired Breaking Bad writer/producer Sam Catlin to serve as showrunner.

Published by DC/Vertigo from 1995 to 2000, the comic series Preacher dwelled on bitter Texas preacher named Jesse Custer who'd given up on his faith but ends up being pulled into a religious mission to find God, who abandoned his post in Heaven. Working alongside an infectious ex-girlfriend and an Irish vampire, Custer criss-crosses the country in a literal attempt at finding god while avoiding others on similar missions and Custer's self-proclaimed "redneck" family.

"Steve Dillon and I are very happy to see Preacher being developed for TV, which seems a much more natural home for the story than a 2-hour movie," Ennis said in a press release. "Obviously it's taken a while, but Ken Levin along with Neal Moritz and his team refused to give up, long after the point when I myself grew skeptical, and their unrelenting enthusiasm for the project has gotten us where we need to be. I'm particularly impressed that Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin understand Preacher fully — meaning they get it for what it is, not some vague approximation."

Ennis did assure fans that he and Dillon have been involved with the development of the series.

Preacher has been one of the most frequently discussed comic book series for possible television and movie adaptations in modern comics history. Everyone from Kevin Smith to Sam Mendes had been slotted in the directors chair of a possible movie adaptation, as well as HBO announcing in 2008 it was to do a television adaptation with Daredevil director Mark Steven Johnson at the helm. In November 2013, rumors spread that AMC was lining up a Preacher television with Rogen and Goldberg attached but the network did not confirm those until today.

http://www.newsarama.com/20256-preacher-tv-deal-reached-with-amc-sony-pictures-seth-rogen-producing.html

God I hope it finally happens this time. This is probably my favourite series of all time.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Frank

DOOM - COCK - DOOM - COCK - DOOM - COCK ... (Christoph Waltz would be the prize, but Daniel Brühl gives good obnoxious Teuton)

The Enigmatic Dr X

I wonder how they'll cope with the swearing...

AMC doesn't do the "f" word.
Lock up your spoons!

maryanddavid

I liked Preacher, I have watched only two series of anything by AMC so far, and they are good too. Hopefully.

Frank

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 06 February, 2014, 11:37:24 PM
I wonder how they'll cope with the swearing ... AMC doesn't do the "f" word.

I never noticed that Walt and Jessie were only calling each other muddy funsters. Mad Men's period setting makes the lack of cursing more credible, in public at least.

JamesC

Once upon a time I'd have been really excited by this news. As I've got older I've realised that some things don't work as live action and I fear Preacher is one of them.
I still love the comic though.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: sauchie on 07 February, 2014, 06:52:46 AM
I wonder how they'll cope with the swearing ... AMC doesn't do the "f" word.

I never noticed that Walt and Jessie were only calling each other muddy funsters. Mad Men's period setting makes the lack of cursing more credible, in public at least.

BB was only allowed one F bomb per season.

JOE SOAP

Richmond Clements

Frank

GrinningChimera

Ancient Otter

Do they know the feck word from Father Ted? Or will everyone be talking like these two?

Devons Daddy

AMC does quality
No f word ok.

They are not afraid of nudity violence, disturbing scenes and the like.
Oddly the word nigger. Not an issue for them

But if anyone would do it well AMC is the best bet.
Great!
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Steve Green

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 07 February, 2014, 10:36:14 PM

Do they know the feck word from Father Ted? Or will everyone be talking like these two?

I'd love to know what the stance on 'feck' with US networks is.

The Bissler

Having recently reread my lovely Preacher Deluxe Graphic Novels I'm champing at the bit to hear more news about this!  My main concern is how AMC are going to deal with the inevitable backlash from the U.S. Bible belt.  Still, they do say that there's no such thing as bad publicity!  I have no doubt that Preacher will really put that saying to the test!