Main Menu

Prog 2220 Regened: Earth-Shattering

Started by Tjm86, 20 February, 2021, 04:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Just finished my staggered read of the Regened Prog and I give it a positive report, with some reservations.
One thing that was consistent was the excellent quality of the art, which made for a very attractive package, so major kudos to all involved.
The storytelling was slightly less consistent, but the standouts where a very good Cadet Dredd, with its enjoyably sharp digs at rampant consumerism and Mayflies.

As a concept as a whole, I am more than supportive, as anything that strives to broaden the comic's appeal and increase the readership can only be a good thing.
Contrary to what some others have proffered however, I wouldn't like the toned down violence, themes and subject matter to replace the traditional Prog's approach-I like my thrill-powerful to the max and it's clear that something like the excellent, and gory,Hookjaw reboot would not have a home in such a child friendly title.

As a quarterly experiment, however, I'm more than happy to add it to my usual 2000AD reading habits.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 01 March, 2021, 12:09:51 PM
Why disrupt the regular prog's flow if you could have created 4 specials during the year.

It was explicitly stated in one of the Thrillcasts, back when the Regened prog made its debut, that the distributor had said that if they wanted to put it out as a special, Rebellion would have to drop an equivalent number of the specials already on the schedule for the year.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 March, 2021, 12:16:02 PMI am equally unconvinced that kid's tastes have changed too dramatically in the past 40 years, based on nothing more than first hand experience with every child in my family / circle of friends that I have ever known. Like ever.
And yet if we look at The Beano alone, that comic has changed subtly but noticeably from just a few years ago. Although the strips and artists are intact, the tone is wildly different from how it was in the middle of the last decade. Readership is up. Also, given that many adults won't touch B+W comics now, good luck getting kids to.

Ultimately, as Jim patiently and repeatedly points out on this forum, Rebellion is limited by the realities of commerce, publishing, distribution and now also COVID. So it's trying something, in the hope it will work. So far the result has been significant sales bumps. Quite why they've occurred and whether they're sustainable, who knows? How well the collections will do, who knows?

QuoteBut c'mon - who could put their hand on their cholesterol clogged heart and say they actually want to read this stuff?
I couldn't give a stuff about Cadet Dredd. I'd be happy if it was dropped entirely. But I'd love to see a Pandora Perfect series start next week in the Prog. Dept K was superb. I've enjoyed some of the 'young character' strips enough to justify their presence (such as that initial Strontium Dog test one, which was pretty funny).

The storytelling needs to be tighter sometimes (something that's noticeable if you compare Regened to action strips in The Phoenix) and I'd prefer it if they were scheduled before a jumping-on Prog. But I can, hand on heart, say that I'm perfectly happy reading these issues—and I like what they represent.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 March, 2021, 01:16:49 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 01 March, 2021, 12:09:51 PM
Why disrupt the regular prog's flow if you could have created 4 specials during the year.

It was explicitly stated in one of the Thrillcasts, back when the Regened prog made its debut, that the distributor had said that if they wanted to put it out as a special, Rebellion would have to drop an equivalent number of the specials already on the schedule for the year.

If it was that important a marketing strategy maybe they should have.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 March, 2021, 01:35:17 PM

Well, we've no way of knowing how that conversation went. It's entirely possible that Rebellion had every expectation that they'd be able to publish Regened as specials and the distributors' decision came as a nasty surprise, leaving them with the choice between folding Regened into the regular prog or cancelling four already-scheduled specials, for which work might already have been commissioned.

I'm not saying that's what did happen, but I've had some dealings with high street magazine distributors over the years and their position on any given day can seem baffling and capricious.

IndigoPrime

Really, I think Rebellion's damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. I've seen people furiously angry that the Cor/Buster specials weren't reprint, as if that trampled all over their memories. Frankly, I thought it was bloody great Rebellion wanted to utilise old properties and commission new work rather than taking the arguably easier way out of just offering reprint. (Hell, The Dandy frequently does that, and think how high-profile that brand still is.)

But, again, like Jim keeps saying: there are many considerations beyond just doing the ideal, which often come down to distribution and market forces. And if the sales data for Regened suggests it's working, bar for a small but vocal minority, it seems likely it would for the time being continue.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 March, 2021, 01:32:25 PM
But I can, hand on heart, say that I'm perfectly happy reading these issues—and I like what they represent.

The fact we all frequent this board means that at sometime in the past we all had the same (excellent) taste in comics.
If any of ye approaching or over the age of 50 can absorb a few Thrills from the likes of 'Finder / Keeper' then Grud bless ya. Seriously.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 March, 2021, 02:44:02 PM

Well, we've no way of knowing how that conversation went. It's entirely possible that Rebellion had every expectation that they'd be able to publish Regened as specials and the distributors' decision came as a nasty surprise, leaving them with the choice between folding Regened into the regular prog or cancelling four already-scheduled specials, for which work might already have been commissioned.

Fair enough Jim, but it didn't seem to affect editorial taking the same course of action in 2021.
Although Covid could have been another contributing factor I assume.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 March, 2021, 03:23:14 PM
And if the sales data for Regened suggests it's working, bar for a small but vocal minority, it seems likely it would for the time being continue.

Sales data I can accept, "small but vocal minority", I'm not so sure.
Maybe on this forum, but for the regular readers who don't waste their spare time on here?
You'd have to wonder.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 March, 2021, 04:13:28 PM
Fair enough Jim, but it didn't seem to affect editorial taking the same course of action in 2021.

They've sharply reduced the number of specials this year, precisely because of covid, so I'd assume it was very much a factor.

IndigoPrime

QuoteSales data I can accept, "small but vocal minority", I'm not so sure.
Maybe on this forum, but for the regular readers who don't waste their spare time on here?
You'd have to wonder.
On that point, Rebellion is a business. If something isn't working, it would stop. Given that Regened has continued, it must be working in a manner that 2000 AD is happy with, even if some of the readers aren't. And, yes, I'm happy with some of these strips, in the same way I'm happy reading mini-IP's Phoenix or blazing through Usagi Yojimbo and Lumberjanes. Good comics are good comics. My main disappointment with 2000 AD over the past year hasn't been Regened's existence, but that we haven't yet seen more Dept K and Pandora Perfect. (Well, that and an OS HC of The Out doesn't yet exist, but I suspect that'll have to stay in my daydream wish list.)

Link Prime

Time will tell I guess.

If I was a betting man I'd put a coupla Bitcoin on the *current* strategy not working.

Colin YNWA

And yet if we look at The Beano alone, that comic has changed subtly but noticeably from just a few years ago. Although the strips and artists are intact, the tone is wildly different from how it was in the middle of the last decade. Readership is up. Also, given that many adults won't touch B+W comics now, good luck getting kids to.

Another thing I've noticed in The Phoenix over the last year or two is the drop in the number of panels per page in a lot of strips. Whether this is to move things easier into more 'Dogman' sized volumes - see recent re-issues of Bunny vs Monkey but even more noticably in their more adventure orientated strips as well, Legacy, Mega Robo Bros and the end of Trailblazers all have 3 or 4 panels a page as a rule.

Whether this is artistic choice, listening to readers, or supporting a trade programme I won't pretend to know but there's a definiate shift.

HeidTheBaw

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 March, 2021, 04:13:28 PM
But I can, hand on heart, say that I'm perfectly happy reading these issues—and I like what they represent.

The fact we all frequent this board means that at sometime in the past we all had the same (excellent) taste in comics.
If any of ye approaching or over the age of 50 can absorb a few Thrills from the likes of 'Finder / Keeper' then Grud bless ya. Seriously.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 March, 2021, 02:44:02 PM

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 March, 2021, 03:23:14 PM
And if the sales data for Regened suggests it's working, bar for a small but vocal minority, it seems likely it would for the time being continue.

Sales data I can accept, "small but vocal minority", I'm not so sure.
You'd have to wonder.

Yeah, this is anecdotal, but of the 5 people I know who read 2000ad religiously (myself included) the Regened prog is something we buy either as completionists or it's part of our subscription. None of us enjoy reading it. It's skipped or read and put away never to be seen again.

Personal tastes and all that, but i try and approach each one with an open mind only to leave it with the same feeling each time. This is why I'm surprised that it's so popular on this forum.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 March, 2021, 05:03:08 PMWhether this is to move things easier into more 'Dogman' sized volumes
I don't know. I part wondered if it was down to costs at one point. It's pretty clear The Phoenix has had to make some tough decisions during COVID (hence the uptick in not-great text content, that short period of 'remastered' reprint, and the way the covers are now done.

However, I've been told the BvM chunkies are the way forward and the existing line might cease. Personally, I'd love to see an OS HC of that series, but I guess that'll never happen! :D

Art

Bring back Oink!

(It is probably insanity and hugely impractical to bring back Oink!, also it ran for like a year so the audience is probably tiny, and I'm not sure they own the best bits of it. Still: BRING BACK OINK!)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 March, 2021, 06:02:39 PM
Personally, I'd love to see an OS HC of that series, but I guess that'll never happen! :D

Sweet mother of God what I wouldn't give for that!