Main Menu

Blu-ray Minithread

Started by Hawkmumbler, 22 December, 2018, 06:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Rately - A rental would be advised - it really is that bad.

Rately

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 28 August, 2019, 10:57:15 AM
Rately - A rental would be advised - it really is that bad.

Oh dear!  :lol:

Will take your advice, Bolt-01!

Hawkmumbler

It's a tragic case of studio interference. An excellent director, a solid cast, and some not half bad effects. All wasted in a butchery of post production and reshoots.

Keef Monkey

Yeah, there are so many pieces in place that are right and if had all been allowed to gel together nicely it could have been really great which is frustrating. There are enough moments and scenes that I enjoyed that if I completely disconnect it from my beloved Del Toro adaptations I can enjoy it as a messy schlocky comic book movie. In a weird way it's much closer to the comics in terms of the actual nuts and bolts of the world and the story, but it doesn't capture the look and tone the way Del Toro did.

I will say that as much as I wasn't keen on them rebooting and recasting it I thought Harbour himself definitely wasn't a problem, thought he did a good job with what he had. Would be interested to one day hear Marshall's side of the story.

Hawkmumbler

Dandontdare

You've been fopping again haven't you?  :lol:

Hawkmumbler

I didn't feel a description was needed! A superb boxset from Kurosawa and some deliriously lovely French New Wave stuff no one will give a toss about!  :lol:

Also picked up a few other things but just couldn't be arsed today, looooong 48 hours. :lol:

Tiplodocus

That Kurosawa box set is great.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 September, 2019, 10:57:49 PM
That Kurosawa box set is great.

It totally is, have a double bill of Seven Samurai and Throne of Blood lined up tonight with a dram of whisky in the lines, absolute bliss.

Anyway, so since when did HMV start doing monthly reduced Criterion offers??!! Absolute bargains!

Hawkmumbler

Greg M.

I loved Horrors of Malformed Men - and I'm sure you will too. Horror Express is of course another cracker - "Monster? We're British, you know."

Mattofthespurs

Horror Express is a classic.

Saw it first on BBC 2 in the late 70's.

Hawkmumbler

Telly Savalas improvised acting throughout the final act is some of the most enjoyable of his career, he hams it completely up to 100 and is loving every second of it.

"He knows that a horse has four legs. He knows that a murderer has two arms. But still, the devil must be afraid of one honest Cossack!"

karlos

Three Films By Sammo Hung

If you like action flicks, this new BD set from Eureka is an absolute must - and the transfers are retina-meltingly gorgeous.

I really hope we get more of his 70s/80s/90s out on UK blu.

I, Cosh

Quote from: karlos on 15 October, 2019, 09:59:33 AM
Three Films By Sammo Hung

If you like action flicks, this new BD set from Eureka is an absolute must - and the transfers are retina-meltingly gorgeous.

I really hope we get more of his 70s/80s/90s out on UK blu.
Don't know the other two but Eastern Condors is great.
We never really die.