Main Menu

Dredd end?

Started by Jared Katooie, 23 March, 2005, 07:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

Has anyone else noticed that of late (the past year or two) a lot of major Dredd characters have been killed off? It almost seems as if Wagner is wrapping up loose ends and removing important characters in preperation for his final Dredd story.

I'm sure this is some way off but it sure seems as if things are starting to progress towards... THE END...

We've lost Castillo, Otto Sump, Ralphy(admittedly a small character), the nosferatu(was I the only one who thought this was a significat character?) and now it looks like PJ Maybe is about to receive his just desserts as Dredd closes in on him (see the preview of the new meg for a significant clue as to how close he is to being caught).

Mean machine and Judge Death are two other suspects for last-ever appearances. Though I guess Death will probably return eventually.

Of course I could be wrong and Wagner could merely be dealing with characters he has no interest in continuing with. A lot of them seem to be making their final farewells though.

What do you think?

Quirkafleeg

I think Mean Machine and Death are indistructable...

Oddboy

Well, Wagner & Grant have both learnt that killing off a character before you retire a story *does not* safe-guard from that character being re-used (see Strontium Dogs...)

The only way to safe-guard characters is to keep writing them!

Better set your phaser to stun.

Pete Wells

I must admit to feeling (fearing?) the same. With repect, John must be pretty near retirement age now and I'm not looking forward to the day  he takes the long walk. Grennie is superb at Dredd's but can he sustain it by himself?

Pete.

Jared Katooie

"I think Mean Machine and Death are indistructable..."

If you think about it, the last Mean machine seemed pretty final. Mean lost his last chance at redemption an even allowed himself to be arrested. It could be the end for him.

Death WAS indestructable but after getting beaten senseless in the last story it's become clear that it is possible to hurt and possibly even kill him.

What I'm wondering about is whether this signifies that things are finally coming to a close for Wagner and Dredd.

Oddboy

Well Death was pretty much killed in the last story, wasn't he?

Body destroyed and then spirit?

Sure he could find a way back if Tharg wanted, but for now I'd assume that Death is gone gone.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Funt Solo

That's what Anderson thought when she channeled the power of the murdered populace of Deadworld way back when.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Will I. Cooling

Haven't we been living under fear of Wagner's retirement for about 15 years now? Personally, I think the day Wagner leaves is still a long way off. I wouldn't be surprised however if he's about to cut down his Dredd schedule again (which to be fair seems to be a lot longer than it was a couple of years ago). Plus Rennie (with the likes of Edington, Smith and Spurrier* in tow) seem more than capable in filling the void should

As for what the retreads mean, well I think its possible that the numerous returns of people from Dredd's past (and you've forgotten that women who loved him) may be a story point emphasing his age as the ghosts of his past catch up with him.

*Judging on the text stories and Dredd's guest appearances in The Simping Detective

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

opaque

I'd say someone just asked for a whole load of 'whatever happened to' (as admit it you want to know) stories and this is the result.Such a rich source of stories and stories we already know the basis behind.