Main Menu

Necroposting.

Started by Jared Katooie, 16 August, 2010, 07:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

There has been a big upsurge in necroposting lately. The most recent offence resurrected an unloved and unwanted thread from nine years ago! I don't want to name the person responsible, but it was Cosh.

A disturbing trend I've noticed recently is boarders posting on a movie/game/etc. thread from several years ago, and then saying something like "I saw this recently, it was quite good". Usually a few other people will turn up and make a few half-hearted posts before the thread mercifully dies once more.

I'm sure you agree that necroposting is the most serious problem facing the board today. However, I have a few suggestions as to how we can combat this menace.

1) Chastise people who necropost.

2) Start a campaign of harassment against people who necropost.

3) Ban people who necropost.

4) Hire a hitman to locate and kill people who necropost.

I'm a reasonable man. If someone wants to resurrect a popular and beloved thread, then they should do so. If, however, they want to bring back a seven year old post about the Judge Dredd movie, to inform us that, yes, they've seen it and golly wasn't Stallone a poor choice for Dredd?, then there should be consequences.

locustsofdeath!

I don't think anyone should respond to Jared's post for at least six years.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 16 August, 2010, 07:49:42 PM

I'm sure you agree that necroposting is the most serious problem facing the board today.

I don't.

Emperor

This makes me want to bump the oldest thread I can find and then phone JK so I can laugh at his spiralling blood pressure. ;)

Personally I think people should be hunted down and taunted if they start a new thread on a topic that has a pre-existing one which is perfectly serviceable. No need to reinvent the wheel twice, unless you you think you can get a patent on your new idea for a circular aid to transportation.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Surely thats exactly what forums are for to an opinion an if that thread happens to be accessible regardless of age people will comment.
Who knows in 10 years time you may repost here :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

I, Cosh

Brilliant! I was just in the process of composing a post asking why the thread had been locked. I genuinely don't understand why you have a problem with it. In fact, until now I haven't been able to work out whether you were being serious with your giant expostulations or whether it was just some running joke I didn't get.

Now, I'm quite happy to admit that the only reason I posted on that thread was to see how long it would be before you came along to advise me how many years it was since it had last been posted on (something I knew perfectly well) but there's a (~n almost) serious side to that.

I've been reading a load of old Megs recently and last night I was perusing some old threads to see what the consensus had been on certain things as they were appearing and to find a suitable place to make some posts about the stories I've been reading*. It was quite an interesting exercise. This must be where our opinions differ. For me, I'd rather somebody who has just seen/read/played a film/book/game to seek out an existing thread and add to that instead of starting a new one. It gives you a chance to see the old opinions, marvel at how they've changed since the work was fresh and people don't have to crank out the same post they made last time it appeared.

However, I don't think there's any need to make a song and dance about it either way.

* On that, expect a revival of this thread in the next day or two: http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,17722.0.html
We never really die.

Jared Katooie

Eh? I didn't ask for the thread to be locked!

I swear this has nothing to do with me.

Dandontdare

I've never had a problem with necroposting, but maybe it should be flagged up to avoid confusion. On the old forum, it displayed the date the thread was started as well as the date of the most recent post, which made them much easier to spot.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 16 August, 2010, 08:19:53 PM
Eh? I didn't ask for the thread to be locked!

I swear this has nothing to do with me.
Ah. Okay. I just assumed there was a connection, so sorry about that.

Does it genuinely annoy you or is it a joke?
We never really die.

Jared Katooie

It's mainly a joke.

I just like to see a good mix of old and new threads. Most of the resurrected threads are so stale and dull I wonder why they were brought back at all. If someone hasn't posted in a thread for two years or more, there's probably a reason for it.

A new thread can go in any number of intersting directions. An old thread generally can't. So that's why I'll never approve of necroposting.

Unless it's for the purposes of trolling.

zombemybabynow

Bump...........in the night
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

TordelBack

Hmmm.  On some other boards I've dallied with it's actually considered good etiquette to reactivate old threads on the same subject rather than create new ones. I do try to do that here too.  Are people serious about finding this practice annoying? Rog has overloaded my sarcasm detector and I haven't had a chance to see Screenwipe in order to recalibrate it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 16 August, 2010, 07:49:42 PM
I'm sure you agree that necroposting posting in fucking 72 point is the most serious annoying problem facing the board today.

FTFY.

Cheers

Jim

[spoiler]Apart from the threats on the forum and by PM, and the harassment on Facebook, obviously.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Emperor on 16 August, 2010, 07:59:40 PM
Personally I think people should be hunted down and taunted if they start a new thread on a topic that has a pre-existing one which is perfectly serviceable. No need to reinvent the wheel twice...

^^^^This.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 August, 2010, 09:59:44 PM
I'm sure you agree that necroposting posting in fucking 72 point is the most serious annoying problem facing the board today.

^^^^Also this.
@jamesfeistdraws