Main Menu

Apocalypse War vs. Necropolis - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! FINALLLLL!!!!!!

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 April, 2021, 06:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corinthian

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 April, 2021, 10:51:43 PM
Much as I love everything about Necropolis, it just has to be Apocalypse War, for sheer unbeatable re-readability, world-defining events and a musical number (and definitely not just for microscopic topless Anderson).

"Microscopic" is possibly the wrong adjective here.

Richard

maryanddavid

Colin YNWA

Last call folks but looking its possible that either Apocalypse War or Necropolis to catch City of the Damned and any final votes today could settle top spot so get um in and I'll count um up in the morning.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 April, 2021, 06:34:44 AM
Last call folks but looking its possible that either Apocalypse War or Necropolis to catch City of the Damned and any final votes today could settle top spot so get um in and I'll count um up in the morning.

Oh, didn't know I could change my vote to City of the Damned. Screw Necropolis. City of the Damned.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

One Epic started strong, very strong and after that while the other Epic picked up votes and momentum at a similar rate that blistering start meant there was no coming back and half of Mega City One, the whole of Easter Meg 1 and an entire peace loving planet innocent of any involvement look aghast as you take such pleasure in

The Apocalypse War (not forgetting Block Mania)

which brought their end as it took top spot - I don't think to many folks surprise. Necropolis was probably the only epic that could have challenged it and  honesty it didn't come close and has to settle for a very respectable 2nd spot. So with that, I'm afriad to say  It's...it's OVER... well except not quite.

As we often moan about every good Epic (why do I keep putting that with a capital?!?) needs to have epilogues to give it real importance. Well this tourney wasn't about top spot, or crowning the winner it was about stern and justified correction of a brilliant man gone wrong. So join me Monday as we look at the full rankings - and do some analysis of how much we've had to sort that damned list that inspired all this from Alex F. Which epics have moved, how much have they moved and how, as the week progresses, how that compares to the correct ranking (that being the one I did) and how that compares to this 'crowdfunded' one.

Oh and I'll be introducing the next tourney  which is pretty close to being ready.

maryanddavid

Cheers Colin, even if I struggled to understand what was happening:) Great fun going back over these stories, some I had not looked at in years.
How about a Stront tournament,  or Dredd spinoff epics one, eg Shamballa V Supersurf?

abelardsnazz

Thanks again Colin for running this, what tremendous fun. Not surprised by the winner, fully deserving of its place as it's left such a huge legacy in the Dredd canon.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: maryanddavid on 23 April, 2021, 09:10:10 AM
Cheers Colin, even if I struggled to understand what was happening:) Great fun going back over these stories, some I had not looked at in years.

Oh mean to post this here to help with that - what the heck was happening

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16_95Phr_Ab1Z-Zs7P-_4dlpSC53-BM-djAgx5Jc_hzA/edit?usp=sharing

Well actually not sure it will help but its how I kept track of it all!

Quote from: maryanddavid on 23 April, 2021, 09:10:10 AM
How about a Stront tournament,  or Dredd spinoff epics one, eg Shamballa V Supersurf?

Ohhh good ideas - I have a note book in which I keep a list of possible idea and these two are added. I know what's next BUT I keep putting off the BIG ONE that was my first idea to start all this way back so they might nudge ahead of that...

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 23 April, 2021, 09:10:56 AM
Thanks again Colin for running this, what tremendous fun.

Look - you lot do realise if you keep saying nice things I won't bloody well stop doing these things. Right.

Your your own worse emeny sometimes you lot!

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

paddykafka

Yep! Cheers for running these, Colin. Great fun and a welcome distraction from everything.

Just a suggestion for any future polls: "Which of these [ Insert as appropriate ] former Thrills would Squaxx like to see a return or reboot of?"

I'm thinking, for example, of stories that finished up prematurely or abruptly before their time. Black Hawk comes to mind. (I feel that there were still plenty of tales that could have been told about our favourite Nubian gladiator.) Or it could also include those Thrills that maybe did not live up to their original premise - or were let  down by inferior artwork / writing - but could benefit from a new creative team and reboot.

As to what Prog the list would go up to, I would suggest anytime up to Prog 2000AD as a cut-off point. In terms of what would count as a possible entrant? Maybe rule out obvious and long-running top Thrills like Dredd, Strontium Dog, Nemesis, Slaine etc and focus instead on short-run stories or one-offs?

Anyways, that's just my twopence worth. Thanks again!

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 April, 2021, 06:45:20 AM
Oh and I'll be introducing the next tourney...

Best Dredd Epic with the Word 'Tour' In the Title?

Thanks for all the fun Colin, looking forward to the autopsy.

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.