Main Menu

prog 2184 End Times A-Coming

Started by The Monarch, 01 June, 2020, 03:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

no arnie in sight but a corking line up

Future shock: Yes i am going in reverse but theres a reason for that. but yeah funny future shock saw the twist coming a mile away still liked it.

The Diaboliks: its like caballistics never left us love it love it more please!

The order would be my favourite thing in a normal prog but tbh this isn't a normal prog

Sin/dex: Bulletopia begins with a bang and I really should have seen the ending coming but I guess I am very thick xd

and now to the main event judge dredd....holy crap I  am not spoiling a goddamn thing about this but prepare yourself.....you will not be expecting this one and its thankfully not the dark judges....its something more awesome

Tomwe

You've got the prog wrong and the tag line too. Can we correct it?

Great prog though! Dredd off to a grand start. Feel like it's been some time since the last 'epic'. Really liked The Burnham's future shock, and having just gotten into Cabalistics via the MC I'm excited for more from that world.

Is there any reason the cover isn't full bleed? Is it supposed to be coming through the flag? Great Dredd but bit strange.

The Monarch

oh my god how did i bugger that up? I am a twat

Tomwe

... and I've just read Tharg's "apology" for the cover on twitter given the real world events. Can't believe I didn't spot the coincidence while writing my notes above.

moly

Great issue this week, if dredd continues like this week we could be in for a classic

Colin YNWA

Slightly fuller statement on Facebook

Quote2000 AD has always sought be a voice for the disenfranchised. We use satire and drama to tell those stories. We stand for inclusion, we stand against racism. Black Lives Matter.

This week's issue of 2000 AD features a cover that was commissioned months ago, went to press two weeks ago, and was mailed out to subscribers last week. Given the unfolding situation in the USA and beyond, it may seem provocative or exploitative but it was not our intent.

For more than 40 years, the writers and artists on Judge Dredd have used the character to comment on contemporary politics. It was not meant to directly reflect scenes from the week of release.

Not sure how necessary this is but its good they have made the statement.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 June, 2020, 06:00:07 PM
Not sure how necessary this is

I would refer the honourable gentleman to the the furore over the supposed disrespect Tolkien showed to 9/11 by calling his book "The Two Towers". In 1954.‬
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Leigh S

That would be Prog 2-1-84, not 2-8-14, mod type peoples....

Colin YNWA

Well not the line-up we were expecting but very enjoyable all the same. - all be it behind some very curious design decisions on the cover.

In side Dre.. nah we'd better save that one...

Sinister Dexter starts Bulletopia - its been too long since we had a Sinister Dexter epic so really looking forward to this, even if it does get off to a low key start

The Order how gets off to a cracking start... all be it the second part, but as I suggested that first part feels more like a prologue than ever now. This episode was crackin' just superb, with some many wonderful elements throwing in with chaotic fun and then the choo choo at the end. Brilliant

Future Shock was really good fun even if the shock was just another story element really. Fun all the same.

The Diaboliks gets off to a decent start, setting out the world and grusome leads. I do wonder if Jenny and Ravne in all their utter evil will sustain a full story. But let's see how it develops

Oh and doesn't Dan Cornwell do a very good Dean Ormston in that Star Scan.

And then at the start we get .... well something very unexpected in Dredd. I'm not sure whether to be bowled over or a little - what why? about all this. Still Colin MacNeil glorious as ever and its certainly going to be very interesting to see where this goes and yeah at least its[spoiler] not the Dark Judges[/spoiler]!

Pretty much a lot of set up with The Order doing that best up this line-up promises much.

Blue Cactus

Good prog! I didn't enjoy much about the Regened issue, I'm sorry to say, so this week I loved having the regular Prog back.

Dredd starts well, it feels like there's a real sense of telling a tale here if that makes sense. I'm perfectly happy with the [spoiler]surprise guest appearance[/spoiler], if you haven't read [spoiler]Ichabod[/spoiler] before I don't think that will impair enjoyment of the strip at all, since Dredd often has [spoiler]strange entities crossing from other planets or dimensions[/spoiler], and it this ties up the story of [spoiler]Rob Williams's recurring talking horse, I'm all for it[/spoiler]. Art is sublime. If I've one criticism I'd have liked to see Dredd speak just a little more; I think Williams sometimes writes him as this indomitable presence, who barely needs to act or speak, everything else just reacts to him. [spoiler]But I'd have loved to have seen a brief exchange between him and Anderson, his long-time colleague and sometime almost-pal.[/spoiler] The two don't meet up that often these days and for the reader it's a bit like a meeting of old friends. Hopefully there will be some interaction in the weeks to come!

Looking forward to a longer Sinister Dexter story, the Yeowell/Charles team is well cemented in place now as the definitive modern look for the strip (I still miss Sinister's dreadlocks but they're probably a pain to draw). Yep, I hope this is a nice long run with lots of twists and turns.

The Order - Like others I've found this hard to follow at times since the second series onwards. This episode was nice and clear though, always love seeing Burns in the prog too (speaking of things being like meeting old friends), so yea, lets see if I can keep up with this series.

Cracking Future Shocks, which often don't do much for me. Like the flat earth theme and the way it was used, and I thought Burnham did a fantastic job on the artwork too. Given that he wrote this one as well it feels like a labour of love. That [spoiler]pointing lizard person [/spoiler]in the last panel - there's something really familiar about it's pose and expression. I wonder if that's an homage to an earlier 2000ad panel? Something by Bolland maybe or something from the prog's early year. Maybe not, it just looks really really familiar to me! Anyone else?

The Diaboliks - well. How conincidental to have both [spoiler]Ichabod[/spoiler] and Dom Reardon return in the same prog! I don't imagine a crossover is afoot between Dredd, [spoiler]Ichabod[/spoiler] and Caballistics inc! Anyway, interested to see where this goes. Nice to see Reardon's art again, like John Burns earlier in the prog he handles tricky vehicle-based action really well here.

Can someone remind me about Jennifer Simmons please. She was posessed by a demon in Caballistics, right? I can't remember if she's still in there or if she is all demon now. And is so, what happened to the original Simmons.

Yeah, great prog. Sorry Joko-Jargo!

Timothy

Have we ruled out [spoiler]the dark judges[/spoiler]? I know that the surprise guest this week is somebody else, but there is still talk of [spoiler]the four[/spoiler]

Timothy

Wasn't Full Tilt Boogie meant to start this week or have I misremembered?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Timothy on 03 June, 2020, 09:45:54 AM

There have defo been some changes based on the solicitations - but then they do come out way ahead of time and don't anticipate global pandemics. I think we were expecting:

Dredd (Of course)
Full Tilt Bogie
Slaine
A New story but not Diabolics
The Order

So I imagine for all sorts of reasons Thargs had to be juggling things and its this type of thing that makes me so pleased that the good ship 2000ad is being kept on its journey uninterrupted, all be it taking a slightly different route.

broodblik

Quote from: Timothy on 03 June, 2020, 09:45:54 AM

Starts next prog
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.