Main Menu

All-time classic films of recent years

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 29 September, 2020, 08:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 18 November, 2020, 10:47:27 AM
Hard to name a bigger cultural hit than Get Out, too (even if it's kinda like a very good episode of Black Mirror - as peple have said before, it's TV lately that seems to be the go-to for intelligence rather than spectacle)

I've not actually heard of that - did it come out recently?

TordelBack

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 November, 2020, 09:51:20 AM
Great post, Alex, very interesting.

Oops - forgot to mention that part.  But yeah, it really is.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Quote from: sheridan on 19 November, 2020, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 18 November, 2020, 10:47:27 AM
Hard to name a bigger cultural hit than Get Out, too (even if it's kinda like a very good episode of Black Mirror - as peple have said before, it's TV lately that seems to be the go-to for intelligence rather than spectacle)

I've not actually heard of that - did it come out recently?

Get Out is a horror/comedy/social satire that came out in, I think 2017 to little fanfare but became quite the talking point. It's very much something that 2000AD fans are likely to enjoy, highly recommended, and I'm genuinely surprised if it passed you by - I guess the name isn't especially memorable.
Lead actor Daniel Kaluuya got Oscar nominated for it and everything, noteworthy round here as he's a local boy (grew up in Camden).

https://letterboxd.com/film/get-out-2017/

AlexF

If you're interested in films that are, for want of a better word, beloved, this is a pretty fascinating list:
https://letterboxd.com/crew/list/highest-rated-obsessively-rewatched-club/

It's a top 100 films that lots of people have watched again and again.
I'm including it here because Dredd is at No.74 on the list! I've only seen it twice myself - I'm guessing some people round these parts may have racked up more than the necessary 5 watches to get it onto the list  :D

Two thirds of the films on the list are from the 21st Century.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 20 November, 2020, 09:03:47 AM
I'm including it here because Dredd is at No.74 on the list! I've only seen it twice myself - I'm guessing some people round these parts may have racked up more than the necessary 5 watches to get it onto the list  :D

I saw it three times - at the cinema (once in 3d and twice in 2d - once I'd managed to track down the only cinema in London which was showing it in 2d).  I seem to remember having watched it whilst cat-sitting around somebody's flat but other than that it would only have been on DVD.

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 19 November, 2020, 03:30:50 PM
Lead actor Daniel Kaluuya got Oscar nominated for it and everything, noteworthy round here as he's a local boy (grew up in Camden).

I hadn't heard the name (though it turns out I've seen him in the Black Mirror episode).  Found out I used to live around the corner from where he grew up (also just up the hill from Amy Winehouse's old place).

Tomwe

Get Out is an amazing film. The bit where the title becomes clear was spine chilling!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: sheridan on 20 November, 2020, 10:09:28 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 20 November, 2020, 09:03:47 AM

I saw it three times - at the cinema (once in 3d and twice in 2d - once I'd managed to track down the only cinema in London which was showing it in 2d).  I seem to remember having watched it whilst cat-sitting around somebody's flat but other than that it would only have been on DVD.

I got a Cineworld card just so I could watch it over and over in the cinema. Lost count of how many times I saw it. The guys who worked there would say hello and comment on which 2000AD/Dredd T-shirt I was wearing that day.

Then of course I bought it on DVD, Blu Ray, got copies for friends on Dredd day, plus have a streaming copy I can watch wherever I want. Do all those contribute to 'repeat views' do you think?

BPP

Bacarau is an instant classic and pretty 2000ad in its own way (outsiders / politics / violence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKTejyk9ZIA
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: BPP on 20 November, 2020, 02:54:40 PM
Bacarau is an instant classic and pretty 2000ad in its own way (outsiders / politics / violence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKTejyk9ZIA

Wow, hadn't heard of that one, but it looks top notch.  Also something to talk to my mostly-Brazilian students about.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Think Bacurau is also on 4OD at the moment - haven't seen it yet but excited to very soon!

radiator

QuoteEternal Sunshine; Lost in Translation; Brokeback Mountain; Before Sunset/Midnight; the Fast and bloody Furious franchise; Mamma Mia; The Greatest Showman; Whiplash; Moonlight; Call me by your Name

I'd say that out of that list, only Brokeback Mountain has the kind of cultural currency and name recognition the OP was getting at (and again, thats a film that is nearly 20 years old). Lots of films win awards, but Oscar wins and noms don't really seem to have much of an impact in terms of making a film an actual bona fide hit these days - you'd probably have to go back to 2008's Slumdog Millionaire for a solid example of that happening.

I'd kind of put the F&F franchise in the same box as Marvel tbh - they're huge movies no doubt, but largely interchangeable to the outside observer. I haven't seen any of them since the original, but I can't really think of any iconic individual scenes or moments from any of them that have really transcended the medium.

The rest of that list are textbook examples of 'cult' films, imo.

It's quite interesting to look at the highest grossing movies of each year for the last fifty years or so - you really have to go back to the 90s to see (for want of a better word) 'grown up' movies regularly hitting big. From 2000 on its almost exclusively sequels, remakes and franchises.

It really just reinforces to me that TV shows have truly eclipsed movies as the dominant modern art form (and the line between movies and TV becomes more and more blurred). No recent standalone movie outside of perhaps The Avengers or Black Panther can compare to the cultural footprint and long tail of a Breaking Bad or a Game of Thrones, a Walking Dead or a Mad Men or a Stranger Things.

radiator

A couple of other thoughts:

I think novelty and originality are a key part of what makes something really hit the zeitgeist and make a cultural impact, and those are things sorely lacking from modern big budget, widely seen movies (with a few exceptions).

The traditional 'Oscar bait' movie is dead. Green Book was the final nail in the coffin. The big awards mostly go to small indie movies these days.

The Legendary Shark

I was talking to a pest-control expert friend of mine just the other day about a mousetrap I laid from which the bait had been snaffled without setting it off. We both brought up Mission: Impossible at virtually the same time. You too are probably imagining, right now, a cute mouse in a black pullover dangling from a rope harness to snatch the experimental cheese from the mousetrap while The Music plays in the background - and if you weren't, you are now. And, unfortunately, will be for several days to come.

I think that's when a film's on this list, when it's become part of everyday communication.

Anyway, he said it was probably a shrew - too light to trigger the mechanism.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]