Main Menu

1735 - Rebels With a Cause

Started by I, Cosh, 21 May, 2011, 10:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Another decent Prog. Two Alan Grant penned strips for the first time in a long time. His Dredd is a passable effort with a handful of good lines, but the lack of any real substance highlights the way a lot of the newer writers have overtaken the old master. Teenage Anderson doesn't do much for me.

Not a great cover this week. Much as I like him, particularly on Dante, this flags up the variability of Fraser's art. Compare some of the gorgeous interior work on this current story with the depictions of the same characters on this cover. Elena always seems to get the worst of this. The Dante story within marches on triumphantly with a not unexpected betrayal. Ace.

The first of those cameos Tharg promised pops up in Absalom and it's an intriguing one. Can't quite decide if this supplants Dante in my affections this week but, either way, that means I think it's bloody good. Interesting as well that Rennie manages to give Harry just the right amount of the sort of earthy dialogue that Edginton always seems to overdo these days.

Red Seas bored me. Not something I could've imagined a couple of serieses ago.
We never really die.

blixab

A decent enough issue with for me Dante the pick of the bunch. Really loving this story arc and will be gutted when it finally finishes. Will have to keep on reading the trade pressings for the fix... It certainly gave out one or two indications as to where it may end when Nikolai is talking to his mother The Pirate Queen and a great deception at the end although not unexpected.

Also enjoyed the Dredd story in this issue and well paced for a complete story arc.

Absalom - more of the same and getting better by the week. Hope there are more series planned.

Now for the two disapointments - Cadet Anderson - just can't really get into this one yet. Maybe it will be a grower but to date - nothing.

Red Seas - seems to be going backwards - others may enjoy but I have lost the plot with it. I hope it comes back!!

Colin YNWA

Well I'll defend Rea Seas then. Okay so it felt a little light weight after the build up last week but was still fun and moved things along well. I believe read as one this story will be a bit of a hidden gem and I for one have really enjoyed it. Really looking forward to the climax in the next week or two.

The rest is all good solid stuff, with one exception. Absalom continues to entertain without blowing me away. Two Alan Grant stories in the prog is really nice to see. A good solid Dredd and a good solid Anderson. Both with lovely touches, both expertly crafted neither quite knocking it out the park.

That leads us to the exception. Dante which not only gives it a hefty wack that sails out the park but sends it flying at break neck speed into orbit with enough side spin to send it charging at an angle you just can't predict. I mean really this strip as always been superb and at the moment its as good as its ever been. Its simply brilliant... wonder what it was?!?

Good Prog

Darren Stephens

Cover is really nice, but could be more eye catching. Bit of a poor pun, too. I liked all of the strips, but LOVED two. Dante, of course and Absalom, which gets better each week. Both those strips are chocfull of perfect 2000AD goodness. Enjoyed both Alan Grant strips. The Dredd had a nice punchline with the baby and I enjoyed  the Anderson one. Liked the justice met out to the knife weilding thug in the Hottie Emporium, in particular....

Also really enjoyed Red Seas. looks like next weeks will be an action packed episode.  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

House of Usher

So far I've read Judge Dredd, Cadet Anderson and The Red Seas.

Judge Dredd was alright if was a bit retro and followed a very old plot template. The first punchline was feeble and the joke is antique, so it's just as well there was a back-up one. When I first heard the 'baby's first words' joke 30 years ago it went like this:

BABY: "Muh, muh, muh..."

MOTHER: "He's going to say Mummy!"

BABY: "Da, da, da..."

FATHER: "He's going to say Daddy!"

BABY: "Muh- muh- more dumplings!"

Cadet Anderson's a bit better and has more of that old-style thrill power. If it hadn't been pointed out here I wouldn't have noticed that her gun is a Mk II. It's still a retro model, isn't it? I presume the judges are using a Mk III these days.

The Red Seas does seem a bit slow instalment by instalment, but I'm sure it'd be quite a lively adventure with all the parts run together continuously.
STRIKE !!!

John Caliber

The Ezquerra droid doesn't bother with the finer details of Lawgiver design - and I love him for it. And whose going to argue with Dredd's co-creator?  ;) I've never liked the MK2. Ezquerra inspired my adaptation of the MK2 as a chunky hybrid of both the MK1 and MK2.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Trout

Loved it all.

Great storytelling from Alan Grant, and the two swashbuckling stories are great. Absalom's dark and funny.

I can't fault any of it.

- Trout

Buttonman

In the Dredd did anyone else think the fat money lender with the big nose was a bit too much of a stereotype to be comfortable? I'm not saying money lenders can't be fat and have large noses but it would be no more subtle if he was called Shylock and said 'oy' a lot.

Kehaar

Dredd was ok - the semetic look of the loan shark passed me by completely (I don't recall any mentions judasism in MC1)

Absalom - great

Dante - a perfect thrill pushing forward the story

Anderson was better than Dredd bur not terribly exciting

Red Seas - automaton ancient Greeks attacking a sailing ship of demons - smashing !
All the best, Kehaar

http://clarkythecruel.wordpress.com - mosaic novel, war-game & RPG material

http://alfiesantics....ress.com/about/ - RPG of Free Liverpool Secret Agents in a Very British Civil War

Dissecting worlds the social science in SF & Fantasy podcast @ www.geeksyndicate.co.uk

James Stacey

Dredd was a bit of a tired formula and didn't really pack any punch because I'd read the same story 100 times before. Still competently done though. Andersons' 'film tie in graphic novel material' is going ok. Not burning out my thrill circuits but solid stuff. I'm interested to see where Absalom is going, Great art and good story, not sure Im missing something tho having not ever read Cabs. Red Seas continues to be in the prog. Dante .. wow. This is where it's all at. Not an unsurprising twist all things considered but none the less arsom. I'd been looking forward to the return of Dante since.. well since it was last in the prog, and whereas a few of the recent arcs have felt like treading water or covering old ground, this one is heading at breakneck isn't it.

mygrimmbrother

Karl Richardson's art is growing on me more and more with each outing. I expecially love his interpretation of the helmet and eagle pad, very stylish. His faces have real character too, and are becoming very accomplished in a Dylan Teague sort of way.

I absolutely adore Absalom. Both script and art are pitch-perfect. Nothing more to report!

However, much to my own surprise, standout strip this week was Dante.

House of Usher

Nikolai Dante and Absalom were also good. I'd venture so far as to say Absalom was the best thing in the Prog. I liked the sudden appearance of the [spoiler]'supervillain team'[/spoiler], two of whom turned out to be... [spoiler]wait a minute! What?? Robots![/spoiler]

I didn't see that coming.

Good Prog.
STRIKE !!!

Mikey

I thought the cover was very reminiscent of some superhero team type thing, which is apt I suppose...

Always forget to mention Droid Life - made me chuckle! Good stuff as ever.

Dredd - top art on a straight MC1 tale. The 'third nostril' line made me laugh and pine a bit for Grant and Wagner together...also noticed the money lender's features combined with job, but MC1 is filled with freaky featured people. Remember Citizen Snork?

Red Seas - Quite liked this episode. Fair enough that it might read better in one sitting, many yarns do, but it is appearing weekly!

Dante - Ok for me.

Adolescent Anderson - I'm waiting for this to get it's groove on. The episiode seemed too short, I wanted more.

Absalom - top thrill again this week. Am I right in thinking that was Chapter and Verse with the pram? I think I am, so was excited by the 'future casework' line! That's a yarn I'd like to read GRennie - get to it!

Quote from: James Stacey on 23 May, 2011, 09:30:29 AM
not sure Im missing something tho having not ever read Cabs.

I wouldn't say so - this is certainly standing alone at the moment. Well, you're missing out by not reading Cabs because it's lush and Harry first appeared in it, but there's no direct lift over beyond the world it's set in.

A fine prog, but felt a bit muted to me.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Mikey on 24 May, 2011, 09:27:53 AM
Absalom - top thrill again this week. Am I right in thinking that was Chapter and Verse with the pram?

Nah, it's Demon Jenny and Solomon Ravne. She was pregnant with his EVIL SEED.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Mikey

:-[ D'oh! Of course it was! Hannah has dark hair...and is a lesbian, but that's what made me especially raise me eyebrows!

I'm such a tube.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.