Main Menu

THE NU METAL OF BOOKS!!!

Started by zombemybabynow, 01 April, 2010, 03:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

Remember when nu metal appeared?  It was hyped and hyped and while it existed/during it's zeitgeist it had it's own shelf in hmv.

Guess what i saw in waterstones last night?  between sci-fi and horrow was...

...Dark fantasy!!!

Obviously pretty boys with long teeth in v-kneck jumpers who aren't wearing t-shirts underneath, are becoming tres popular! (vampire diaries, twilight etc)

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

James Stacey

Waterstones has a 'Paranormal Romance' section .. full of books with identical looking black covers with a single object, sometimes bloodstained, on them.

Dark Jimbo

'Becoming' popular?! I think you'll find it's been happening for a while.

Inevitable, really - it's the original Harry Potter crowd, girls who probably started reading the series in primary school, now in their early-mid teens and looking for something older and 'darker' to move on to.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mike Gloady

Yawn.

I'm more worried by the WHSmith shelving section I've seen in nearly every branch - TRAGIC LIFE STORIES - or, as I call it Paedobiographies.  All stories about how someone you've never met was neclected/abused as a kid and had a shite life. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic.  I'm just disturbed that it's such a common genre that someone finishes reading one they want ANOTHER. 

On the positive side for these books, I guess at least TALKING about such things makes it better for both the authors and young people who might have some idea of avoiding such situations these days.  If one has had similar experiences, I can get how it might be helpful to read about how someone else  got through it, but surely most of the readers have never had such experiences themselves and wish to somehow wallow in the horror of a stranger's stolen childhood. Vile and faintl exploitative if you ask me.

Personally I can't cope with even the idea, let alone actually reading them.  Too horrible. 

Hope nobody's too offended by this, but it IS faintly relevant.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Goatilocks

Nu-metal & metalcore should die.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Spaceghost

vampires, always the dullest of supernatural creatures, have recently been turned into horrible, whiny, emo girl-boys. Although 'Let the Right One in' is ace.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Goatilocks