Main Menu

Zombieland

Started by the shutdown man, 08 October, 2009, 12:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemeanie

I just loved them in the Dawn of the Dead remake - felt a lot scarier for me having them rip after you and like most people, I've had a mini panic attack at a Left 4 Dead swarm.

But yeah, the slow inevitability of "traditional" zombies is a creepy thing in itself. Its like when you see news footage of people stood by their houses while lava slowly crawls towards it and there is nothing they can do.

Both types are cool, its all in how they're done really.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

That really was fantastic. Much more of a comedy them a horror, in fact i got a bigger scare on my way to the cinema then at it. Its worth going to see if for the cameo alone. Plus as I've always said, no film is truly complete without a zombie clown.
The "rules" also worked much better then i had expected.

Keef Monkey

Caught this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Wasn't as funny as I wanted it to be but Harrelson was born for the role and he got the best laughs. Found the lead actor a little annoying, I couldn't stop thinking that it had been written for Michael Cera but when they couldn't get him they found someone a bit nerdy and asked them to "do a Cera".  Didn't ruin the film by any means, I just didn't find his delivery tickled my funny bone much.

I'd had the movie's big surprise ruined for me too so it wasn't nearly as funny as it should have been, but that's my own fault for going on the internet before seeing the movie.

radiator

Big thumbs down to the numpties standing in for Mark Kermode this week, who totally spoiled the 'surprise' celebrity cameo (which I'd previously heard about, but not who it was). I think I'm going to stop listening to that podcast - I had to stop listening the other week when Kermode himself gave away way too much of the plot of District 9 - can someone tell these people that it is actually possible to critique a film without discussing all the major plot points and twists in detail?  >:(

artdroid_Lee Carter

Im a huge zombie fan...
Must have bought them all...even the recent "day of the dead" and worse of all "days of darkness" which is a walking dead rip off....terrible rip off ...alien zombies in your ball sack i kid you not...
anyway I thought zombie land was quite good, must admit I liked it better than Shawn of the dead. Hopefully it will spawn some sequels as there is something about it that works... plus woody has won me over since Natural born killers

Nap Normal

I saw this the other night and thought it was ok. As for the Zombie shuffle or run debate. My thoughts are... As a man of nearly forty years old who's two stone over weight and with a very dodgy knee then If I have any chance of survival then the Zombies will have to be shuffling.This view is for completely selfish and self survival reasons. Also If the Zombies really want to get me then I suggest they attack early in the morning as I completely useless and before 12pm.
Zombieland is worth watching.   
Falling in love makes you fat.

Eric Plumrose

It's fun rather than funny, although the aforementioned cameo is at time hilarious (due more to Tallahassee's reaction than the cameo itself). Even then, it's all but telegraphed [spoiler]exactly how it's going to end for poor old[/spoiler] [spoiler]Made you look[/spoiler], amusing as it.

As fond as I am of shamblers, runners I find so much more terrifying. I love the original DEAD Trilogy but it's hubris dictating plot that gives DAWN and DAY their sense of the inevitable. Sure, the very idea of being personally overwhelmed by shamblers is shit-bricking, but it's a dramatic contrivance oft repeated.

Runners, however, are immediate. They see you, they run for you. You just hope you're able to out-run them. That's why the first five minutes of 28 WEEKS LATER are fucking phenomenal. In all likelihood, a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster would've had Don wisecracking as the Infected swarm after him, thus undercutting the sheer terror of what's happening. What makes that sequence so brilliant is the fact you TRULY FUCKING BELIEVE ROBERT CARLYLE IS RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

House of Usher

Saw this today. Superb film. Up to the point they got to Beverly Hills I was thinking I had never seen a better film. The Hollywood segment changed that feeling, though. The change of pace and tone was too much, it slowed down the action and the narrative, and it pulled me out of my immersion in the world of the film. It didn't get back on track until the romantic interlude.

I really enjoyed it, and laughed a lot watching it. And winced a fair bit two. It's the most uplifting zombie film I've ever seen!

;D
STRIKE !!!

Keef Monkey

Yeah, as funny as it was the mid-section did feel a bit like a sketch that had been jammed in there. The whole movie's pretty broad but it did seem a step to far into comedy territory, and felt like it would have fit better in a lesser film. Minor complaint, but it does stop it short of classic status like you say.

Kerrin

Saw this last night and thought it was very enjoyable guff. Some great action and plenty of laughs. Fantastic cameo from [spoiler]********[/spoiler] and Woody Harrelson is in fine form.