Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 20 June, 2018, 08:03:08 PM
Report: The Star Wars Story movies are being put on hold:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-the-star-wars-story-films-are-being-put-on-hold-1826992769

S'a rumour thus far.  Don't really see Kenobi as a 'nothing' character, Clone Wars showed his potential versatility, and we've no idea the kind of man he becomes during his exile, after his terrible failure, and before the door to redemption is opened for him.

Professor Bear

Mad Max in Fury Road is a nothing character*, and yet...

Obi Wan could be a great movie, though admittedly I say that as someone who has long enjoyed films about hermit kung fu masters who have no time for the adventures that come knocking on their door.

* his only character bits are from the Mad Max videogame that George Miller worked on.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 20 June, 2018, 08:18:04 PM
But Kenobi is a totally nothing character...?

Don't agree, but how much character does Blondie have in the Leone/Eastwood movies? Precious little in 'modern' terms. Still works.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Just as a background to my comments on the previous page.....my full time job is to advise businesses on where they are failing and how they should proceed.....I just can't see why any business would want to pour further money into a product where all financial indicators are bad.

Last jedi did make money, but it made significantly less than they expected it to .....its drop off rate was big. People generally didnt want to see it again. A theory backed up by its subsequently poor blu ray sales. Solo is losing a lot more money I suspect than they are owning up to. The budget is stated at £250m. It was likely more. Drop off rates are bad, blu ray sales are bad. Fan opinion is desperately poor. Public perception is bad. As I previously said - why would Disney invest more money into this without seeing the box office of episode 9? It's bad business.

If it was your money, would you invest in a business where all the trends are declining? I'd put my money into Iron Man 14 or the next Avengers film. Not Star Wars.

Ps. I support Star Wars......Solo and Last Jedi each got at least £100 of my money. I'm nyot a hater.  I find the whole situation mildly depressing and I hope they save it somehow.

SIP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 June, 2018, 09:32:26 PM
Quote from: radiator on 20 June, 2018, 08:18:04 PM
But Kenobi is a totally nothing character...?

Don't agree, but how much character does Blondie have in the Leone/Eastwood movies? Precious little in 'modern' terms. Still works.

Obi wan would be a great movie. I'd be there opening night......and at least once or twice more after that.....before I bought the blu ray.....and the t shirt.......and the hot toy......

Sigh. Lucasfilm.....take my money.

Professor Bear

Disney have made many, many turkeys over the years, but they haven't let the miserable failures of Fantasia*, Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet or Mars Needs Moms stop them making cartoons.  More germane to the convo, they didn't let John Carter becoming the Titanic of sci-fi flops scare them off making sci-fi franchises, as they just went out and bought Star Wars lock, stock and barrel.

* A flop at the time, as WW2 broke out and prevented the film playing overseas - even success in the US wasn't enough for it to break even, though it's obviously gone into serious profit in the years since.

SIP

But similarly they didn't go and make Fantasia 2, John Carter 2....etc.

They cut their losses and did something else.

They didn't throw good money after bad.

Professor Bear

Disney also didn't give theatrical releases to sequels to mega-hits like Lion King and Aladdin, and walked away from the successful Narnia movies because they didn't own them outright.  Disney are about the big picture and one flop means nothing to them in the context of Star Wars as a brand.  They probably had plans made ahead of time in case Solo flopped big time.

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 20 June, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Last jedi did make money, but it made significantly less than they expected it to .....its drop off rate was big. People generally didnt want to see it again.

Joe Soap set out figures upthread that showed the TLJ 'drop off' in revenue  was similar to that experienced by TESB (the greatest movie ever made) and AoTC.  Should Lucasfilm have packed it in 1980, or 2002?  Should Disney walk away from a $4 billion investment?

The Solo thing seems like a scheduling and marketing failure more than anything, added to inflated costs from a crazy volume of reshoots - most of us who saw it enjoyed it a lot, despite having no real interest going into it, and I suspect more in that vein would be well received.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 20 June, 2018, 11:21:39 PM
But similarly they didn't go and make Fantasia 2, John Carter 2....etc.

None of those ever made any money and Disney wrote off the JC debt almost immediately. Star Wars has made way more for them than it has ever lost so the death knell of the franchise being rung in some quarters is greatly exaggerated because of the financial loss of a troubled non-sequel spin-off.

Solo was a contractual obligation for Lucasfilm since Lawrence Kasdan only agreed to sign-on to Force Awakens if he got to make Solo - after he and Lucas hatched the spin-off idea previous to the Disney buy-out. The choice of the next spin-off after Rogue One may have been different otherwise. The buzz before Solo was bad, middling or non-existent on the fan periphery, so it never really penetrated into the world of the norms.

Previously noted, as drop-offs go, The Last Jedi is not a shocker in Star Wars financial history and the fall in percentage points is slightly less than Attack of the Clones.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 20 June, 2018, 08:03:08 PM
Report: The Star Wars Story movies are being put on hold:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-the-star-wars-story-films-are-being-put-on-hold-1826992769

In other words: films that were never announced by Lucasfilm are still in development.

SIP

Just for clarity, I was talking about cinema attendance drop off rates, NOT comparing total box office of each movie to its previous movie. The drop off rates for last jedi were reportedly more than double (70-80%) that of Empire strikes back (20-30%) in its second week. The drop off rates were much higher than any star wars movie.

The suggestion is that Last Jedi made most of its box office in the first week, then people didn't go back. This is contrast to the longer cinema lifespan of all previous star wars films.

The implication would be, along with the subsequent blu ray sales and more split opinion surrounding the film, that it wasn't as well received as the 1.3 billion would suggest.  The numbers would indicate that a lot of people were excited and rolled up to see it.....then never went back, and told lots of other people not to go either. Solo's poor performance could be in some part related to people's dissatisfaction with Last Jedi.

It would be silly of Disney to rest back and think everything is roses.  I would think that Solo has clearly highlighted that everything is not roses.. ....and there were clearly indicators off the back of Last Jedi that were saying that.

As I said, we will find out in  18 months.....but I don't think the true picture of performance here is just lying in total box office numbers. There are underlying issues.

hippynumber1

Quote from: SIP on 20 June, 2018, 11:21:39 PM
But similarly they didn't go and make Fantasia 2

They did, however, go on to make Fantasia 2000

SIP

I'm not advocating that Disney run around shouting that the sky is falling at this point, but I do think there are warning signs in what has happened since December and that it would be naive to assume everything is fine because Last Jedi made 1.3 billion. Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't.

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 21 June, 2018, 06:51:51 AM
Just for clarity, I was talking about cinema attendance drop off rates, NOT comparing total box office of each movie to its previous movie. The drop off rates for last jedi were reportedly more than double (70-80%) that of Empire strikes back (20-30%) in its second week. The drop off rates were much higher than any star wars movie.

Apologies SIP, misread you there. 

(That may in part be confirmation bias on my part because the family and I went back 3 times, including twice to IMAX, and I bought the BluRay! I even bought some of the shitty 5POA toys, 'cos who could live without matching Rose & Paige Tico action figures.  Now if only I could scare up a few quid for Tallie's A-Wing... )