Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: Dudley on 20 May, 2019, 09:59:52 PM
Most impressive moment of that episode: [spoiler]stabbing anyone with that ruddy great sword while kissing them. Jon is quite the acrobat. [/spoiler]

It was a dagger. He gave his sword to the Unsullied.

Richard

Quote(The Mad King) wasn't just 'genetically evil' because he was a Targaryen

"Every time a Targaryen is born, the world holds its breath and the gods toss a coin."

Richard

First half of the episode was excellent and I wouldn't change anything.

Second half didn't make much sense. It's not plausible that the Dothraki and Unsullied would meekly accept the verdict of the Westerosi, especially the regicide's own family. It would have been better if Brandon had worked with the dragon and incinerated them all.

Leigh S

Bran could have warged with the dragon to burn up Danyraes - the perfect crime!  :D

Personally, having the dragon burn up all the foreigners to acheive the 'happy' ending may have pushed the show even further into UKIP territory...!

radiator

Quote from: Richard on 20 May, 2019, 10:13:29 PM
Quote(The Mad King) wasn't just 'genetically evil' because he was a Targaryen

"Every time a Targaryen is born, the world holds its breath and the gods toss a coin."

I get that, but I still think the execution was overly simplistic - as I said before it's like they just flipped a switch. I also think conceptually it's far more interesting having a character wrestle with these kind of impulses and their family legacy than just turn cartoonishly evil on a dime. We already have two other awful Targaryens (Viserys and Aerys) in the story to reflect the dark side of the Targaryen bloodline. Dany turning evil seemed too predictable to be predictable if that makes any sense (probably not :lol:)?

I dunno, it is what it is, but I'm even more rabidly curious to read Winds of Winter now to see what Martin does with Dany.

QuoteSecond half didn't make much sense. It's not plausible that the Dothraki and Unsullied would meekly accept the verdict of the Westerosi, especially the regicide's own family.

There were so many nagging things like that that just have to be ignored, as we'll never get answers. How can a Stark be king of the realm given that his homeland just seceded from it? Why is there still a Night's Watch? Weren't the Ironborn promised sovereignty? How is Sam Grandmaester when he hasn't even completed his basic maester training? Etc etc.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 20 May, 2019, 10:32:28 PM
as I said before it's like they just flipped a switch.

Except for the part where she'd already had to be talked out of burning down King's Landing twice, only on the third occasion all the people who'd previously dissuaded her were either dead or had betrayed her.

Look at what the path to the throne cost Dany by the time she looks down on that city: her husband, her unborn child, Daario whatsisface, Ser Baristan, Ser Jorah, two of her dragons. Variously betrayed by Varys, Tyrion and Jon. The secret groundswell of support she'd been told since a child that the rightful returning Targaryen would receive nowhere to be seen.

The people of Westeros could have overthrown Cersei like they overthrew the Mad King, but instead they stuck right with her until the end. They didn't accept Danaerys, they surrendered because they were beaten, they surrendered because they were afraid.

It doesn't seem like a leap to me that she would look down on that city, on those people, knowing that everything she'd sacrificed meant nothing to them but that fear drove them in the end, and that she might think: I'll show you fear.

I don't think that's a leap at all.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

I enjoyed that. Several niggles, and some large complaints,  but got to a good place for most characters. I personally am glad that there [spoiler]wasn't some big OTT action set piece or another battle to finish it all[/spoiler]

They didn't play up Jon's actually bloodline; I imagine a lot of people thinking that was a wasted twist. But it was enough for me that it added weight to his "I am not worthy of the throne and don't want it" speeches. Well, actually mate, you are. And he finally got something right. So I guess that was wildly out of character.

You feckers should think yourself lucky you weren't around trying to make the most of the LOST finale.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Richard on 20 May, 2019, 10:18:15 PM
It's not plausible that the Dothraki and Unsullied would meekly accept the verdict of the Westerosi, especially the regicide's own family.

I dunno. You had a massively symbolic scene of Drogon[spoiler]being massively upset, sniffing out the murder weapon and murderer and screaming "Noooooo!" While shooting his gun into the air and destroying the very thing that caused all of the hassle and ushering a new dawn where such things don't have the same importance[/spoiler] and that wasn't enough? Do we really need scenes full of basil where every injured party explains exactly what they are feeling and why they are behaving in a certain way? It was a brilliant but of "show, don't tell" and fantastically executed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

hippynumber1

I've already had to endure an "it's not fair, the fans deserved better" conversation with someone at work. 🙄

pauljholden

I think dany's Always been mad. From walking out of the fire with the hatched dragons and claiming they're her babies (surely that's bonkers?) to the murder of the mad witch woman who betrayed her khal, she's always been utterly ruthless too. It's always been clear that. She's been driven by this one goal and it's hard to say what someone that single minded will do when they achieve that goal. And then there's the systematic stripping away of her support network - whose left to say she's gone too far?

as far as Jon snow being a targearean, I actually think this is enormously important for dany's motivations too - again Dany knows one thing: she's entitled to sit on the iron throne and to suddenly find out the person she's been sleeping with is her nephew (bad!) who's Technically next in line to the throne (worse!) puts her in a place where she really is on her own.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I have niggles, but to get a beast like this into port with only a few knocks is pretty impressive.

wedgeski

Very happy with the last episode, given how uneven the rest of the season has been. Time to put the whole thing to bed ahead of a full re-watch next year.

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 20 May, 2019, 10:32:28 PM
QuoteSecond half didn't make much sense. It's not plausible that the Dothraki and Unsullied would meekly accept the verdict of the Westerosi, especially the regicide's own family.

There were so many nagging things like that that just have to be ignored, as we'll never get answers. How can a Stark be king of the realm given that his homeland just seceded from it? Why is there still a Night's Watch? Weren't the Ironborn promised sovereignty? How is Sam Grandmaester when he hasn't even completed his basic maester training? Etc etc.

Well, they may or may not get a more full explanation at a later date, depending on which events happen in the books.  How many times have you watched a film which only completely made sense if you'd already read the book, due to small details cut out in the final edit but which had been filmed (if they'd got that far from the source material).

Completely agree with every point raised above - the Ironborn one was the only one that didn't occur to me while watching.

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 May, 2019, 12:03:42 AM
They didn't play up Jon's actually bloodline; I imagine a lot of people thinking that was a wasted twist.

It seems that only unworthy Targaryens get to sit on the Iron Throne - the rest go to the wall!

Hawkmumbler

S7 Bran: "I can't be the lord of anything anymore'

S8 Bran: 'Is offered the crown' "WhY DiD YOu thInk I CAMe All THiS WaY?

Biggest heel turn for me, everything else was acceptable but Bran for king? A bad conclusion to my least favorite story arc.

Dudley

Quote from: radiator on 20 May, 2019, 10:03:04 PM

It was a dagger. He gave his sword to the Unsullied.

I'm tremendously sorry, you are correct.