Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Cheers strontium71. Yeah, guess you are right there.

I spent a couple of weeks decluttering and a week solid packing which no way was long enough. I was hit with a vicious cold which delayed me starting and my poor Mrs had a cold which was at its worst on the day of the move.

People were telling me it wouldn't take me long to pack as all my stuff was supposedly in good order but the removals guy advised that heavy things such as books and magazines are mixed with lighter stuff so it wasn't as simple an exercise as I thought.

Felt really crap pulling apart the furniture and basically undoing all the effort we put into making that flat our home. Well, I say 'home' but I never actually referred to it as that for various reasons.

Just to make things worse, I held off buying the prog as I knew it would get lost in the mayhem so I have a gap in my collection which I need to plug before I carry on reading. Hopefully a trip to town this weekend will sort that out and while I am there I can also purchase a certain DVD.

Dandontdare

a few little things making me happy:

I just got a new bed. After 20 years in that last (2nd hand) beast, I never appreciated how uncomfortable it had become. This one's bliss, it's like sleeping in a posh hotel.

I got back in touch with an old friend purely because some game app on his phone spammed me without his knowledge.

I just found out I won a bottle of wine in my local's Xmas raffle ... all the prizes seemed to go to regulars... hmm  :-X)

Manchester library has a new even bigger graphic novel section and it's freaking huge - I could've taken my 12 book maximum a few times over today.

radiator

I thought my copy of Day of Chaos hasn't turned up in time for my holiday as I usually get things delivered to work, but checking the home postbox this morning I found it alongside two progs and the new Megazine. Result!

COMMANDO FORCES

Just got back from my good deed of the night and I'm very happy to have helped a work colleague out in her hour of distress. Buggered up my film watching for the night but I can fit in at least one before bed  ;)

Rog69

I installed a new 3D printer into our showroom at work last week and I left it printing a judges helmet over the weekend, purely for testing purposes you understand  :D.

Frank

Quote from: Rog69 on 17 February, 2013, 09:49:38 AM
I installed a new 3D printer into our showroom at work last week and I left it printing a judges helmet over the weekend, purely for testing purposes you understand  :D.

Of your own design, or is this an example of the Coming Times - where instead of going to the shops or asking Amazon to deliver stuff to our houses, we just pay to download plans from someone else's site to our own 3D printer and let it make one for us?

Rog69

Quote from: sauchie on 17 February, 2013, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: Rog69 on 17 February, 2013, 09:49:38 AM

Of your own design, or is this an example of the Coming Times - where instead of going to the shops or asking Amazon to deliver stuff to our houses, we just pay to download plans from someone else's site to our own 3D printer and let it make one for us?

It's not of my own design. I downloaded the CAD file for it free from Grabcad, a community where people upload cool 3d models they have made, I suppose its kind of like an engineers version of deviantart.

This particular model would be prohibitively expensive to print full size on a professional printer (I'm just making a small one) but yes, in a few years time we will all have the ability to do this affordably from home, you will be able to print anything from an action figure to a fully functional assault rifle.

Interesting (and slightly scary) times ahead.

Frank

Quote from: Rog69 on 17 February, 2013, 05:47:30 PM
in a few years time we will all have the ability to do this affordably from home, you will be able to print anything from an action figure to a fully functional assault rifle. Interesting (and slightly scary) times ahead.

The minute someone works out the plane elasticity, load distribution and tensile stresses of Kelly Brook, I can think of one board member who'll be an early adopter of that technology.

shaolin_monkey

Spikes

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 February, 2013, 11:40:48 PM
I just got a new bed. After 20 years in that last (2nd hand) beast, I never appreciated how uncomfortable it had become. This one's bliss, it's like sleeping in a posh hotel.

Now aint that the truth.
Ive slept in ones that have half collapsed - and had gotten used to it, before finally buying another.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Judge Jack on 18 February, 2013, 06:18:57 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 February, 2013, 11:40:48 PM

Now aint that the truth.
Ive slept in ones that have half collapsed - and had gotten used to it, before finally buying another.

with my big stack of GNs from the library, and a little ahem herbal smoking mixture, I barely left it on Sunday, except to get more snacks. Pure heaven.

Rog69

Quote from: sauchie on 17 February, 2013, 06:17:57 PM
Quote from: Rog69 on 17 February, 2013, 05:47:30 PM
in a few years time we will all have the ability to do this affordably from home, you will be able to print anything from an action figure to a fully functional assault rifle. Interesting (and slightly scary) times ahead.

The minute someone works out the plane elasticity, load distribution and tensile stresses of Kelly Brook, I can think of one board member who'll be an early adopter of that technology.

We do have a machine that can print flexible materials so if someone could calculate the shore value of her main assets, I'll print a couple off  :thumbsup:.

Anyway, the Dredd helmet turned out quite well, I might have a stab at painting it -

Frank

Spikes

Working in the woods again today.
A bright but misty morning - and just off to my right are two deers at play.
We can all moan about our jobs, but im happy with mine at the minute.

TordelBack

Feeling guilty about my utter failure as a provider, I set about building my son an 'educational' laptop out of scavenged and minimum-bid ebayed bits and bobs.  It was supposed to be a Crimbo present, but various factors (ie: it didn't work) intervened, and I only presented it to him the other week.  Of course he loves it, even though I insist on giving a formal 15min lesson every time he wants to use it for anything other than homework.  Problem is, despite being ridiculously low-spec by today's standards it's turned out to be an absolute beauty of a machine: and I want it for my own.  It glows, it hums, it works.  I'm using it right now while he sleeps.  It's like bloody Sophocles in reverse, but with a 19" Sony screen.