Main Menu

Prog 1459 - Bite the Bullet!

Started by paulvonscott, 03 October, 2005, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Firey-Bou

damn having to walk the dogs & be at work in 12 minutes... i guess my intelligent & articulate reviews will just have to wait...

theres a few tales which i feel need a good re-read. I loved breathing space, the pace the mood, " nobody ever loved me " SOB !

I'm really unsure about savage, i got confused between jack & tom, but i got irritated less that usual in the last few episodes. I cheered when svelt got it, not really butch, just bayatch, but then any girlie with a mullet like that needs a hail of bullets.

mandroid is fabulous, yet another good guy driven nuts by a crap system & put up against our old hero/antihero Dredd, please don't get him dredd !  old idea done beautifully.

fin & sin .. isnt ramone starting to look suspiciously like a certain artist ? only wrong skin colour ? cool, but then i like peanut sandwiches.

leatherjacket is failing to engage my brain much, worried that the poor bloke needs a gasmask thingy in his pants too.

cover fabbyolus.

right dugs, walkiessss !

Oddboy

worried that the poor bloke needs a gasmask thingy in his pants too.

Maybe Smith & Marshall are over-compensating for the disappearance of gas-masks in the second half of FireKind?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Leigh S

Yeah, the psi powers thing is often used, and its often used lazily.  The reason it's more annoying in Breathing Space than in many other tales is the fact it's so pivotal to solving a story billed as a murder mystery. I can often ignore or accept the convenient PSI revelations of other stories - usually it's a shorthand device to move the plot along. Here, the whole shebang revolves on them.

The odd use of PSI powers can sometimes be OK - in the right story it can be quite effective.  I'm not sure it's much cop as the explanation behind a thriller plot though.  

Bad Andy

What would be nice in Mandroid if old go-go-gadget arm cashes his chips at the hand of Dredd and it turns out that the wife Kitty, who lets not forget is also a soldier, shows up after suffering amnesia in th'ospital and then becomes a long-running vengeance character in the meg.

That's what I reckon anyway. As for Breathing Space - in my opinion the story was good, the story telling was lacking. Which is a bit irritating.

Funt Solo

I would counter that in a world where psi-powers exist, why shouldn't a murder mystery revolve around them?  (I'm reminded of the movie Forbidden Planet.)

As a matter of opinion, we're probably going to have to agree to disagree.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

True enough, Fate - I personally don't find PSI powers particularly satisfying most times they appear (supernatural tales or as an amusing or unusual plot point besides), so it's definitely a taste thing.

Now this weeks Savage on the other hand, surely we can all agree on that - Brilliant, unexpected and ...well.... Savage! :)

Thursday

In a setting that features psychics of various types, I'd far prefer a murder mystery that revolves around psi-powers to one in which the characters inexplicably fail to get the friendly neighbourhood telepath on the case.  But that's just me, I find it irritating when something's an established part of the world one week and forgotten the next, just when it would be really useful.

Funt Solo

Yes, I really enjoyed this weeks Savage:  it totally blind-sided me.

What he considers collaborators (ie non-military personnel that outwardly support the Volgan regime) are now considered legitimate military targets by Bill.  That's a step-up.

Is Bill Savage a freedom fighter or a terrorist?

Do we, as readers, support him?  

Where else but 2000AD?  Hats off to the Betelgusian, to Mills and to Adlard.  I've never really strongly disliked Slaine (apart from the art on The Secret Commonwealth) or the ABC Warriors, but I'd be happy to see less of them if it meant more new characters (and this particular Savage is a new character) from Mills.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

Thursday - the issue of PSI Divs absence been discussed a few times before...

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messagethread&choice=12512" target="_blank">one psi fits all

Thursday

Cheers Watcher.  The 'Where's PSI-Div?' example was actually a pretty crap one for me to pick: I've never really had a problem with it, because at least it's consistent.  We don't see Psi judges solving everyday muggings one week and then mysteriously not turning up for the high-profile murder investigation of the year, for instance.

Speaking of consistency, was anyone else surprised by ol' Bill gunning down unarmed (albeit collaborating) civilans?  I don't know whether it's out of character, a natural progression, or something that's already been introduced and I've just missed it, but it was a definite "Wait, what the?" moment.  Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Oddboy

Don't think he's opened fire on unarmed civilians before - but he's definitely crossed the "morally justifiable" line before. He's a mad dog, and should be put down. But he's our mad dog, so we'll just sic 'im on our enemies while we can.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Dudley

The Adventurer

I thought the cover seemed a little "Frank Miller" to me.  Not my favorite redition of Savage by a long shot, Adlard's still the best at that.

Won't get this issue for another month or so, sometimes this lag time really bits, because I miss out on all the discusion.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Noisybast

"isnt ramone starting to look suspiciously like a certain artist ?"

Blimey, you're right! Hadn't noticed that. Weird...

Also, while Mandroid is undoubtedly an excellent tale, I can't help but be reminded of...http://exotica.fix.no/gallery/games/images/b/BionicCommando-t.jpg">
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!