Main Menu

I'm the goddamn Spirit!!!

Started by wrly_bird, 15 October, 2008, 12:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

Trailer number three for Frank Miller's version of Will Eisner's Spirit now online.
The more I see of this the more I'm really not sure about it. "I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead"???
//http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/thespirit/

Buddy

A lot of sexy wimmen there!

Kinda looking forward to this but worry that it'll be pants.

Lord Running Clam

The trailer makes the film look like fun in its own right; but as a Spirit adaptation it still looks terrible. It comes across a very well done Sin City Parody.

PsychoGoatee

This looks damn good, I'm quite excited. And I don't know if I'd call it a Sin City parody, I mean sure it's more lighthearted than Sin City, but I don't think Frank Miller is in self-parody mode at all. With this and then Watchmen, it's going to be a good time for comicbook movies...

"Somebody get me a tie, and it sure as hell better be red!"

wrly_bird

skurvy

Man, that looks and sounds f**king terrible. I can't believe how far removed it is from the comic. If someone had done this to a Miller comic he would sh*t a brick.

Colin YNWA

Have to say while the Watchmen movie has me all 'God damn' excited this just has me very worried.

Since when is The Spirit the kind of character that stomps down corridors and says things like "Somebody get me a tie, and it sure as hell better be red!"?

I mean all good it might be incredibly hard to make a movie for the modern market that represents what The Spirit's about - then fine don't make a movie of The Spirit rather than stick out some modern film you want to make and slap The Spirit's name on it... ok breathe... I need to relax. This is just the trailer and the actually film might be fine... but really from what I've seen so far I'm going to hate this.

The only thing I guess is hard to argue against is that Miller spent a lot of time with Eisner so while it might not be the Spirit film I'd want or expect you got to hope he's honoured Will Eisner's vision. I guess Eisner was better at accepting change than most of us and so maybe he'd be cool with it...

...me, well I'll wait and see but I'm hating what I've seen so far.

Colin YNWA

Oh and just want to say I personnally do believe that The Spirit can be successfully updated and modernised while still retaining the feel of the original. Cooke's recent run on the Spirit over at DC proves that. What I've seen of this film just ain't that at all.

Colin YNWA

Oh and one last thing. Isn't that Kevin from the Wonder Years Dad as Dolan, I assume. I'm kinda cool with that... at least that could work. I'm off to imdb to check...

ThryllSeekyr

I don't like the Sin City styled look.

It was good for Sin City , but should over used or even repeated unless it's used of rthe Sing City sequel.

I could imagine they're start making more films like this from now on

I would have prefered something based on the look of the orginal comic.

Sort like the look of a early  James Bond film, or One of Tarantino's films.

Didn't this fellow have blue suit?