Main Menu

Calvin and Hobbes

Started by Buddy, 12 November, 2008, 03:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Been meaning to pick up Calvin and Hobbes books for a while but there just seems to be so many of them!!!

Does anyone know if there are a Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3 etc.... collection or know which order the reprints come in or does it not really matter which order they are read in.

Interested to compare the early strips with the more recent stuff.

Cheers!

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

the shutdown man

It doesn't really matter too much what order they're read in. The artwork doesn't change a huge amount, and the characters don't really age. At least not in any of the ones I've read, maybe they do in some of the later ones.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Buddy

Quote from: "Tweak72"//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Calvin_and_Hobbes_books

Cheers Tweak!, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Colin YNWA

Where as its always fun to read these things in order I agree with Shutdown Man it really doesn't matter you can dip in anywhere. Its well well worth it as frankly its the greatest newspaper strip ever to my mind and worthy of all the praise it gets and more.

Have fun as you start you read them it's a magical world you're entering.

Buttonman

It's true. it's a cracking strip and I quite fancy the mom. It did get a bit samey towards the end and I think Bill Watterson did the right thing calling it a day when he did - better to go out strong than to have Charlie Brown missing that football for 50 years straight.

Fav C&H here (fair use I'm sure!) although there are a few similar ones with the same evil outcome. I also like the one where he soaks his Mom after she gets all dressed up. Look of mischieviousness never bettered.

Buddy

Ordered a few 'pre-read' volumes from Amazon for 1p each! (plus postage), gotta be worth a punt for a penny.

Will pick more up if these tickle my fancy (and I think they will).

Bongo Jack

Let's just hope no-one posts the one about the dead bird...
Live forever or die trying

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Bongo Jack"Let's just hope no-one posts the one about the dead bird...

Fuck. You've set me off again.

<sniffle!>

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Buttonman

Wasn't it a raccoon that dad sticks in a shoe box and nurse but laters dies? Bird rings a bell but I'm sure the 'little' guy refered to by Mom wasn't some scabby bird.

TordelBack

There's both a dead bird in one strip, and a dying (then dead) raccoon in a short sequence.  It's the raccoon that gets me.  And why do certain people keep bringing this up, I don't like tearing-up in the office.

Adrian Bamforth

JOE SOAP

The US continues to murder the child's imagination.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Buttonman"Wasn't it a raccoon that dad sticks in a shoe box and nurse but laters dies?

Yes. And there's a poignant bit with a dead bird as well.

All of which makes it sound like C&H is mawkish shite, which it isn't.

For anyone (surely there's no-one on this board who actually fits into this category?) who hasn't read any Calvin & Hobbes: do. Do it now. It's really, genuinely funny. The snowman sequences alone are nothing short of comic genius, but there's so much of it that is actually sublime. Watterson draws brilliantly and writes even better ...

For all that I miss Calvin & Hobbes, I can't fault Watterson's decision to pack it in - he's left a collection of work whose very lowest point is always charming, and invariably amusing, and which rises to hilarious, is occasionally profound and which -- out of the blue -- manages to smack you between the eyes with enough genuine pathos to reduce grown men to tears.

How is that not comparable with "proppah" literature, now that I think about it?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.