Main Menu

Prog 2069 : Warrior's code

Started by Darren Stephens, 17 February, 2018, 08:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

No review yet...? Beautiful ABCs cover from the Langley droid. Stripnwise, only read Dredd so far, but a very enjoyable opening episode. Dave Taylor's art is to die for! On a side not, my sub copy turned up quite badly battered n bruised. Anyone else have an issue with their....issue?
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Colin YNWA

Mine didn't land today - hence no review. Always glad to hear its in the wilderness though.

Eamonn Clarke

Dredd is Quatermass-tastic!

Something has returned.
Name checks for three of the actors to play the Professor leading the British rocket group.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 17 February, 2018, 08:21:19 PMAnyone else have an issue with their....issue?

I got two copies, if that counts?  :)

ABC Warriors is incredibly pretty, but it was disheartening to see yet another lineup-of-evil-counterparts spread. "Ah, yes, there's Sinister Quasi-Russian Robot #4 who you'll remember from a couple of books ago! Perhaps they'll finally fight their ABC equivalent if there are enough episodes left before this book concludes..."

I like a lot of Pat's work (and Defoe is one of my favourite recent-ish strips) but between Slaine, the Warriors, Savage and newer Defoe everything is blurring into book after book after book of not a lot happening very prettily. Good for filling progs, but not gripping for a reader.

Richard

My issue was very badly damaged and I've had to bin it. I'd assumed it was the postman's fault.

Richard

My Megazine, that is. Not got the prog yet.

Fungus

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 17 February, 2018, 10:02:58 PM
I like a lot of Pat's work (and Defoe is one of my favourite recent-ish strips) but between Slaine, the Warriors, Savage and newer Defoe everything is blurring into book after book after book of not a lot happening very prettily. Good for filling progs, but not gripping for a reader.

Amen.
Hopefully Dredd this week will deliver - which it seems is the case... Read the preceding 3 progs today and it's a struggle to care.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Richard on 17 February, 2018, 11:25:00 PM
My Megazine, that is. Not got the prog yet.

Yeh, mine was totalled. Still enjoyed reading it, even though I had to hold the pages together. A lesser comic, I wouldn't have bothered!  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Richard

Got the prog today (undamaged). A good one.

Dredd starts off promisingly. (Have we seen Lamia before? I can't remember.)

The best episode of Bad Company since the '80s. [spoiler]Quantum Russian Roulette, and a moving ending.[/spoiler] Good stuff, and I'm more interested in it now.

Savage and ABC Warriors are building to their climaxes, and Brass Sun takes a new turn.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Richard on 20 February, 2018, 12:16:05 AM
Dredd starts off promisingly. (Have we seen Lamia before? I can't remember.)

In "High Spirits", by Edginton and Taylor back in 2009 (!)

Don't think there's been another appearance sInce.

IndigoPrime

Brass Sun provided a bit of a surprise, Bad Company barrels along, and the new Dredd starts very well. Savage and ABC Warriors showcase the various ends of the Mills spectrum, with the latter making me think he enjoys trolling the readers. Still, at least with the 407th Mills line-up, we didn't have full-page portraits of each of the ABC Warriors' opposite numbers. But, good grief, for a strip that used to be jam-packed with madness and new ideas, it hasn't half become utterly boring and predictable.

How many times now have we had this set-up? And you just know that the Warriors will emerge victorious (possibly after getting horribly smashed up, but then rebuilding themselves), ready for the next set of books where they are laboriously reintroduced, chat a bit about the old days, talk about Mars a bit, and then fight another bunch of mostly throwaway foes that are introduced one at a time.

James Stacey

Does Uncle Pat really think there will be a single reader who is thrilled and excited by the revealed line up of anti ABC Warriors. Or does he do it just for a collective face-palm? At least Savage is fun (stupid but fun) 

Colin YNWA

Quote from: James Stacey on 20 February, 2018, 10:29:58 AM
Does Uncle Pat really think there will be a single reader who is thrilled and excited by the revealed line up of anti ABC Warriors.

Well I loved it... okay that's a lie its a pretty tired Mills by the numbers (or should that be ABCs) affair, however much Clint Langley tries to throw his all into elevating it above that. I mean Jez Mongel getting his legs ripped off (not even worth spoiling) is so meanless. Shame as I enjoyed this story to date and shame as the rest of the Prog was STONKIN'

Starting with a glorious, eye bleedingly good art on Dredd with a pretty fantastic story to boot.

Savage does kinda do that CLIFFHANGER solved by shooting well woith guns and stuff which is pretty tired but the rest was good, though its time to move on from Quartz he's in real danger of getting so hammer point home dull and loose his pizzazz.

Bad Company is getting better and better as Mac provides more forehead based clues as to what might be happening here. We're slowly getting to the answers and its becoming a joy to inch our way there.

Star of the show is a quite sublime Brass Sun. I loved the breath of fresh air last week but this weeks exposition done by craftmen was something else and the way its built so much up about our new status quo and Wren's new frame of mind is great BUT the build up to that final page is what makes this so 2000ad. Brilliant.

Seriously if this line-up is losing folks the next jump on Prog has its work cut out getting 'um back!

Tjm86

Ironically for me, Langley's artwork is the final nail in the coffin.  I just find it too dense and laborious to work with as narrative art.  For cover art it's spot on.  Compare it with Teague's work on Savage.  Same writer but two different artists.  Pretty much the same ideas, in fact you could argue that Savage is ABC Warriors / Ro-busters pre-history (albeit shoehorned).  Granted ABC seems to have crawled up its own backside at the moment, I don't know I just don't bother any more.  I tend to skim it and move on.   :|