Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Really not a fan of the muddy artwork style in Hammer of the Warlocks, but that's maybe just me.

Will Realpolitik from Rogue Trooper be getting a reprint?  I've got the original 6 Rebellion books covering the original hunt for the traitor, then the books Re-Gene and Realpolitik.  Someone I know has the first 5 books but not Realpolitik.  If it's going to be reprinted in hardback form, I don't mind giving them it, same with The 86ers.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Rara Avis

Just checking in  .. I have received issues 33 & 16 (book order not issue order) this week but I see on their facebook page that Shakara Book 2 (Issue 41) is out. Has everyone else received this?

IndigoPrime

Yes. My previous two books were Shakara and Nemesis (issues 41/42).

Rara Avis

Thanks Indigo. Is there a list anywhere of which issues have come out? I have clearly not been keeping up on this and now I'm concerned I'm missing others.  :(

IndigoPrime

It depends where you are in the subscriptions 'queue'. Some people have only just received Robo-Hunter and Sláine.

Rara Avis

I just got 33 (Slaine Vol. 4) and 16 (Robo-Hunter Vol.3) ..Am I a month behind everyone else?

IndigoPrime

From what I can tell, subs are roughly split evenly across that range.

Rara Avis

But Shakara was available for sale in the shops last month and I won't receive it until April?

What the fuck (sorry gentlefolk of the forum) am I paying for?

IndigoPrime

Free postage and the guarantee of delivery? Relatively low-hassle replacements when images are damaged?

Honestly, I have had the same problems with Hachette, not least the long delays. If you bug them enough on Facebook, they might bump your sub accordingly. Others here have also figured out cunning ways of catching up, if you read back through the thread.

Rara Avis

Ok that's fair enough but I would have preferred to get "premium" treatment without having to kick up a fuss.

Mattofthespurs

I've paid for 'Premium' and it's still utter dogshit.

leethomson

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 28 March, 2019, 05:03:49 PM
I 2nd the Hollingworth and Moss route.

They are quality binders.

Third! They've done 20+ volumes for me of my late 90s Vertigo/Marvel comic collections, and all are fantastic. What I would caution though, is that there already seems to be a fair amount of gutter loss in some of these partworks - getting them rebound may mean losing significant parts of the image to the spine.

seanharry

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 28 March, 2019, 11:07:35 PM
Really not a fan of the muddy artwork style in Hammer of the Warlocks, but that's maybe just me.

Will Realpolitik from Rogue Trooper be getting a reprint?  I've got the original 6 Rebellion books covering the original hunt for the traitor, then the books Re-Gene and Realpolitik.  Someone I know has the first 5 books but not Realpolitik.  If it's going to be reprinted in hardback form, I don't mind giving them it, same with The 86ers.

I own the origional art for the first page of this story, and have seen most of the other pages of art. The art itself has some amazing, vibrant colours as well as superb detailing, all of which where lost during reproduction.

sintec

Quote from: seanharry on 01 April, 2019, 03:18:07 PM
I own the origional art for the first page of this story, and have seen most of the other pages of art. The art itself has some amazing, vibrant colours as well as superb detailing, all of which where lost during reproduction.

This must be so depressing as an artist - you spend hours toiling away creating an amazing thing then when the published article comes back its a muddy blur and those hours were a complete waste of time and effort.  I guess there's an art to knowing what will/won't work with the reproduction process but still.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: sintec on 01 April, 2019, 05:28:23 PM
Quote from: seanharry on 01 April, 2019, 03:18:07 PM

This must be so depressing as an artist - you spend hours toiling away creating an amazing thing then when the published article comes back its a muddy blur and those hours were a complete waste of time and effort.  I guess there's an art to knowing what will/won't work with the reproduction process but still.

Saying that, I can understand that happening.  How many here are familiar with the strip "The Trigan Empire" that became known in Look and Learn?  My first encounter with this was at the tender age of ten years old when I was stuck in a childrens hospital and the Hamlyn book was there.  The artwork looked nice.  My parents swapped a pile of good condition books that I no longer wanted for this slightly battered one at the consent of the staff.

I later had the Hawk book "Tales of the Trigan Empire", and this was meant to be a higher priced book and of deluxe quality (remember Hawk reprinted some of the Dan Dare material).  The quality of the artwork was worse, just...different.  Colours were sometimes different.

In later years I bought the super deluxe collection from the Don Lawrence Collection and again you could see a difference in artwork.  Apparently the Don Lawrence collection had access to the original art, and weren't working off of reprints of reprints etc.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov