Main Menu

Ron Smith + Droids Signing & Southern Contingent Gathering 4th May

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 07 April, 2013, 08:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 06 May, 2013, 09:55:13 PM
Although this one may steal the biscuit. And it's not mine. Apparently this is the last page Ron ever drew for 2000AD

Great photo!
And didnt Wake have that page up for sale recently? (so much art popping up, of late, its hard to keep track!)

Wake

Quote from: Judge Jack on 07 May, 2013, 04:21:04 PMGreat photo!
And didnt Wake have that page up for sale recently? (so much art popping up, of late, its hard to keep track!)

Correct. I bought it from DXB, then sold and shipped it just in time for the signing.

I have two significant Ron Smith pages (tight boots and Judge Fargo) so I didn't feel like I could keep a third. Unfortunately I was in Wales myself, so I couldn't make the signing.

Molch-R

Quote from: Wake on 07 May, 2013, 05:02:25 PM

A page from the first Dredd story I ever read. And I could never stop myself thinking that the strips on his shoulder and the round object above his head make Fargo looks like he's wearing a kid's sailor outfit...

Spikes

Two very lovely Dredd pages indeed, Wake  :thumbsup:
The Tight boots page is glorious, but the Fargo page tops it by finally revealing what Dredd looks like under the helmet - John Wagner!

COMMANDO FORCES

Sometimes my commitment for 2000 AD really buggers me up and here is another tale of such insanity, as I go in search of RON SMITH

FRIDAY Get up at 14:00 (yes folks, the day really started on Friday) and do family things before work. Go to work, chat with a few forum members while at work.

SATURDAY Still at work and finish around 07:00. Drive home and start to pack my stuff to be signed and due to the cellar being in its three monthly mess, I start to wind myself up, as I can't find certain things. In the end I manage to find everything but my camera. This is when I nearly went crackers, as it should've been in its normal place. I only realised where it was a day later, as I heard something rattling about in the boot of the car, BOLLOCKS!

Anyway, I showered and changed and for once didn't wear a Dredd T-Shirt but went for the casual look. I grabbed my daysack and said my goodbyes at about 09:15 and set off down the town to my local comic shop to grab any bits that I may need. Inside it was bristling with customers and a couple of young kids, which is always a good sign. Phil Buckenham was sketching for art fans in the place and seemed to be doing quite well. I had a quick chat and then wandered off to the station to grab the train to Victoria.

Once up London I wandered from the station past Buck House only to be slowed down by a parade but I made it to Forbidden Planet around 12:00 and met a few forum members on entering and a few new faces, as the beard was recognised from the Judge patrols ;)

I went down into the basement and met many others from the forum and then joined the short queue at about 12:30 as I wanted to make sure my items were signed. Good job I did as it soon grew quite big.

13:00 was here and we were told that the droids were just finishing their curries and they will be with us. Soon after they took their seats. They were introduced to the fans, Al Ewing silence, Ben Willsher silence, Dan Abnett silence Ron Smith
rapturous applause and cheering :thumbsup:

The queue slowly moved forward and peopel did the norm, a bit of chit chat and get something signed. I think everyone shook Ron by the hand and told him how much he meant to them.

As I moved down the droids I quickly had short chats, as all my stuff was for Ron.

Al mentioned that the Dredd/Mars Attacks came about because of the demand after that cover and he was already on issue two.
Ben is after one of the movie helmets and I've set the ball in motion.
Dan said he missed my message until it was too late but that is between me and him :-X
Ron what a gent, as he held out his hand and I gently shook it. I then handed over a few sketch cards for him to sign and he signed the playing card one first

He signed the others on the back so as not to spoil the art. He then signed the limited edition Dredd Covers book.

Followed by the Judge Dredd Mega Collection Book (many of these passed before the great man)

I also had my diary signed on his creator page under Chopper but I'll not put a picture up of that ;)

As he was doing this I had a short chat with him and I mentioned the podcast and how it went down well with the fans. I then moved on and had a lovely chat with his daughter and mentioned that it was a truly wonderful event having her dad here and finally getting the chance to meet him. Again I mentioned the podcast and mentioned the straight to inking part and she said he has always been a courageous man and not scared of doing anything.

I then chatted to some of the forum again and watched them all leave for the pub but I was staying till the end to sort the freebies out for some forum members and also grab a photo with the legend himself. Obviously this might not happen but I was lucky in the end!

Here we are!

During this time I had a longer chat and we talked about his time as a Spitfire pilot and when I mentioned what did he think of Hurricane pilots he did the same reply I do about Paras, priceless! We also talked about the Burma Spitfires, very interesting. Then we got onto my beard (it was mentioned that I wear the uniform to spread the word) and I said that I grew the tache down the Falklands, as I couldn't be arsed to shave and he said it was compulsory to have a tache in the RAF.
The inking came up as his daughter joined us and he said that if he made a mistake he would just put that part in shadow or fill it in. We did talk about loads of other stuff but to tell you the truth it's all floating around in my head still.
I shook his and his daughters hands and said it was a privilage to finally meet him and went off to join the lads in the pub!

before I departed I took a couple of pictures, the first is Ron being interviewed by Molcher.

Next two are Ben and Al. Ben having something signed and then Al signing something!

When Ben was being interviewed I had a quick chat with Al about the Zombo inside the FCBD prog and he said it was done in the style of a comic in the world of Zombo. I remember he did say one long word to describe the style but I am buggered if I can remember that :-[

I also managed to grab a few words with Molcher, especially as I saw a certain few items (I think they had the number 20 on them) being signed and I thanked him for getting Ron here as well as some other Dredd at conventions stuff. Very illuminating!

Now it was down to the Crown and Anchor to meet the everyone and a liitle later Team Minty turned up, with Edmund.

After lots of chat and quaffing it was off for some grub and it was between an American place or an Indian. Inside my head I was praying that we would go USA, as I have never had a curry as I don't like food that is designed to burn your mouth. I prefer a deep flavour, along the lines of Cajun, etc...
Sadly it was Indian and so I broke the news and everyone was astonished that even while in the forces I had never eaten one. I had the Chicken Korma and then the waiter took the piss out of me, asking if I wanted the childrens menu. This went on all night but we had great fun and as all good things they always come to an end.

Outside we all said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. I wandered off towards Vicoria, not really bothering about what time I got there. That was, until I got there! I looked up at the screen and saw my train was 22:07 and then looked at my watch 22:05 & 45 seconds. I ran like the Bolt (not our Bolt) and the doors closed about 5 seconds after I jumped on. I sat down at the six seater area and started to relax, I had been up for 32 hours now.
I started to text away to a few people and then fell asleep texting and it was only when the phone hit the deck that I woke up, I was knackered.

So there you go folks, another exciting day with the Southern Contingent and a signing with a Legend thrown in for good luck :thumbsup:

MsMeanie

strontium71

Ditto.
The only trouble with these pictures is how much it makes me wish I'd gone. So very jealous...
Ron seems like just the perfect gent as well.
...because I hate you.

Recrewt

Yep, really wish I was there!

Thanks CF for giving those of us who couldn't make it, a little taste of the day.  :thumbsup:

Mabs

Hey CF, you should try some of my missus' curry; not too spicy and her chicken korma is something else entirely! Sod the bleeding restaurant stuff!  :D

As for the signing, thanks for the pics above and your thoughts - Sir Ron looks like such a nice chap.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Proudhuff

Now I'm quite worried about CF, he really doesn't seem to be as committed as before: no tshirt, only a 32 hour day, no list of names on the Pub photo, standards really are falling...

;) :D Just jesting, looks like a great day for all.
DDT did a job on me

stacey

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 May, 2013, 10:38:46 AM
Now I'm quite worried about CF, he really doesn't seem to be as committed as before: no tshirt, only a 32 hour day, no list of names on the Pub photo, standards really are falling...;) :D

You're right, that man is EVERYTHING that's wrong with comics today. I'm disgusted me like!

Zappanalé

Eamonn Clarke

Lovely video and interviews. Thanks again to 2000AD and Forbidden Planet for setting this up. It was a grest day out

and now I'm going to go off and get all nostalgic about Denmark street as well