Main Menu

GOOD NEWS! Frank Miller no longer right-wing racist

Started by Frank, 28 April, 2018, 10:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Comic fans breathed a sigh of relief this AM as the realisation slowly dawned that they no longer had to pretend Year One isn't the best Batman comic ever published.

Underneath a photo of his ruined face that looks like a Cubist portrait, it's revealed that Frank Miller is just another aspect of the comics industry which Neal Adams has fought hard to put right:

"Whenever I look at any of my work I can feel what my mindset was and I remember who I was with at the time. I don't want to go back and start erasing books I did, I don't want to wipe out chapters of my own biography. But I'm not capable of Holy Terror again."

It's worth noting that whatever his detractors may think of his politics, Miller still happily inveighs against "white, heterosexual family values" and has no interest in defending his views on Occupy Wall Street. "I wasn't thinking clearly," he confesses. Does he support Donald Trump? "Real men stay bald," he says with a grin, lifting his hat to run a hand over his bare scalp.

Miller got his start in comics when he convinced his idol (Neal Adams) to take a look at his portfolio. It was "awful," Adams says, laughing. "It was so bad. My heart sunk, and I was like, 'Oh my God, one of these guys.'"

Many artists were so humiliated by the harsh feedback Adams gave that they never came back – not Miller. "I made it hard for him! If you'd gone through it, you'd have gone home crying. I never would have thought that he'd turn out to be what he is. He's become like a son to me. I didn't teach him any other of life's lessons, unfortunately, and I should have. That was the bad part."

Adams blames the traditional trappings of fame – bad influences and alcohol. When asked about his absence, the limit to Miller's candour is revealed. "I just got very distracted by real life," he says. "I'd rather not go into it." Through a publicist, he declined to respond to his mentor's assessment.

Adams wishes he'd told Miller that life wasn't just work. "We just talked about work. And if you don't teach family or good health to somebody, then suddenly you turn around and go, 'Oh, my God. We didn't have that conversation.' And you feel like shit, because Frank didn't. And now he's having to learn it."

In part, he blames Miller's success for the years he says his friend sacrificed to that lesson. "You cannot accept other people's view of you. You cannot believe when other people say, 'Oh my God, you're great, you're a legend.' You cannot accept that. It's no way to live. And as soon as you do, you start convincing yourself that you're something that you're not, that somehow you can drink two bottles of whiskey and nothing will happen to you."

In his last conversation with Miller, Adams says he told his protege he was going to die. "I told him he was white trash, and I'd be surprised if he makes it for six months, because he's taken his life and ruined it, and he said, 'Well, I'd like to show you I'm not that way,' and I said, 'If you recover, I'll see you in six months, maybe a year.'"

"'I think of you like a son,'" Adams remembers saying, "'and I'm gonna lose you.'" Now he believes Miller "will mend".

Link Prime

JayzusB.Christ

Hmmmm. I wonder if he ever, in his heart of hearts, feel a LITTLE bit responsible for adding to the culture of xenophobic paranoia that got that massive piece of shit elected president.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"