Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 28 October, 2019, 09:13:56 PM
There is also the practicalities of Carlos going to do Third World War when Gibson drops out.

The question being whether Carlos was ditching 2000ad for better compensation and rights, like Wagner & Grant, or if he'd have been happy to keep on drawing Strontium Dog if they'd continued writing it.

Steve Green reports Carlos's objections to killing Johnny as partly practical. He pointed out the flaw in Wagner/Grant's plan to put their characters out of commission to spite IPC/Fleetway was that other writers resurrect dead corporate comic characters all the time.

Practically speaking, Strontium Dog had been absent from 2000ad for long periods before. Burton's determination to turn Stront into a sandpit for other hacks strikes me (based on no evidence) as more of a response to Wagner/Grant landing the Detective Comics gig*

They'd been making their dissatisfaction with management and determination to join the exodus of creators to the US clear for more than a year. Grant claims Burton thwarted their efforts by telling DC Wagner & Grant weren't interested in a move when Levitz(?) approached him**

* 6 months earlier, in November 1987

** See link in previous post

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 October, 2019, 05:03:46 PM
The only downside to Fox getting married is that it breaks the dream that the pair of you would get it together... mind that might have been like when Maddie Hayes and David Addison (was it) got it together on Moonlighting - it'd be all downhill from there, so guess I should be grateful.

I always appreciate a Moonlighting reference but will somewhat confirm with Conrad: Bromance! Until that moment in a somewhat final season when the tension between Conrad and I are released in an ancient ritual that results in the final seal being broken and the next age begins. Or just a normal smooch. Conrad, I'm up for whatever.

Quote from: The Monarch on 24 October, 2019, 09:10:54 AM
Welcome to the smithiverse Fox hope your stomach survives the experience  :lol:

Stomach? Sir, it's the bionic liver. If things get bleak, it's back to wine.

Also, though I didn't mention it in an upcoming podcast, I was in Heathrow for work for a day. Flew in, then back to Berlin after a meeting in the airport. So, if you were in Heathrow on the 22nd, from 10:00 to 11:00, and then in the bowels of the sofitel for 7 hours, and then late o'clock the same day, and heard a rather loud man that sounded like your podcast that was me.

The only reason I mention is I hadn't been there since I was 13 (20ish years ago) and I like what you've done with the place. Though, as Jay Foreman explains, locals really enjoy it and absolutely no one has opinions about it. Grand work!

SpaceSpinner2000

Haha, I've definitely picked up a lot of info about the art situation since this episode came out (and after we recorded the first Harrison episode, damnit) but I will try to clean a lot of this up on a future show. It's a little hard because some of the background context is pretty spoilery!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

Great stuff as ever - thanks for all the superb effort folks - good times as someone once said.

You mentioned a cover that reflected that of Prog 582, don't see anyone adding to that so I'll chip in. I think the Prog you are thinking of is 89 at the start of 'The Day the Law Died' with Walter cradling an assasinated Dredd.

http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?choice=89&Comic=2000ad (from Barney as ever)

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 October, 2019, 07:35:30 AM
Great stuff as ever - thanks for all the superb effort folks - good times as someone once said.

You mentioned a cover that reflected that of Prog 582, don't see anyone adding to that so I'll chip in. I think the Prog you are thinking of is 89 at the start of 'The Day the Law Died' with Walter cradling an assasinated Dredd.
(from Barney as ever)
That's the one! It's listed in Barney as a Walter cover, and I was looking in Dredd covers, like a fool!

Move out Gorps! It's the seventeenth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

We're once again headed back to these halcyon days of late 1980 and 1981 for classic thrill power! Meltdown Man is an epic fantasy written by Alan Hebden with art by Massimo Belardinelli. It charts the adventures of dimension hopping SAS Agent Nick Stone and a whole cast of animal-human hybrids called Yujees! It's a massive tale, spanning 50 progs, with numerous thrills, chills, and epic violence, plus a Tiger Commander! It's a ton of fun, and something you won't find anywhere else!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and eighty-first episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1988 Sci-Fi Special of 2000AD. This Special has some great stories featuring Johnny Alpha, Judge Dredd, some classic Ro-Busters action, and some key back story for Tyranny Rex!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

(sorry to double post, nobody comments on collections :D)

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 04 November, 2019, 05:24:16 AM
(sorry to double post, nobody comments on collections :D)

I'd guess that we've probably said what we wanted to say when the segments were originally broadcast, but rest assured, the collections are appreciated!

Speaking of which, I name-checked your, Fox's and Eamonn's contributions in my blog the other day: Tornado No 14 (because The Angry Planet has the same creative team as Meltdown Man).

SpaceSpinner2000

I've Got My Pride! It's the nineteenth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

We're jumping way ahead for this one, to those golden days of 1983 for some high class thrill power! Skizz is Moore's first long running story in 2000AD, though of course he was already publishing major work in Warrior at the same time. Skizz is the story of an alien being befriended by a young person and their friends, but things get difficult when the government intervenes. In the end though the alien is reunited with their people and everyone learns a lesson about themselves. Sound familiar? You might be surprised!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and eighty-second episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1988 Judge Dredd Mega-Special. It's the first Judge Dredd Mega-Special, with excellent stories written by Alan Grant and John Wagner, with art by John Higgins, Jose Casanovas, William Simpson, and Ian Gibson!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

The Monarch

yeah i should point out i don't reply to the collections due to already saying my piece during the original episodes. that doesn't mean i don't relisten to them i totally do  :lol:

now i got a mega special episode to listen to

AlexF

(sadface emoji) the podcast directory on my iphone has reverted to the old SpaceSpinner2000 logo - any idea how I can get the sinhy new one back again? I'm just going through Apple's podcast directory to get my thrillfix - is this the root of my problem?

Frank

Quote from: AlexF on 11 November, 2019, 04:54:06 PM
(sadface emoji) the podcast directory on my iphone has reverted to the old SpaceSpinner2000 logo - any idea how I can get the sinhy new one back again? I'm just going through Apple's podcast directory to get my thrillfix - is this the root of my problem?

I was still on the old thumbnail until I had to reinstall my podcast app, after which all the old icons updated automatically.

I imagine that would work for you too, but resubscribing to all your shows is a pain.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Frank on 11 November, 2019, 05:15:31 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 11 November, 2019, 04:54:06 PM

I was still on the old thumbnail until I had to reinstall my podcast app, after which all the old icons updated automatically.

I imagine that would work for you too, but resubscribing to all your shows is a pain.

I believe unsubscribing and resubscribing from the show should refresh the show art? That has worked for folks in the past!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and eighty-third episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 575-578 of 2000AD, covering May and June 1988. This episode Bad Company returns, the ABC Warriors are fighting among themselves, Dredd deals with truckers and sages, Rogue gets another hit, and Luke Kirby learns the hard lessons of Summer Magic.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

The Monarch

man that discussion at the end was interesting i need to reread summer magic now.

is this the first time you decided to monkey around with the strip order?